The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mpc1
paddy__power

Thanks so much

Can you please explain what parts one can view and is it through track or through normal ucas website?

All of it except the reference. Through Track. (Track is the website, isn't it?)
Reply 3981
Original post by mpc1
Goodluck! LSE - do they have pure Mathematics?

Warwick and Cambridge (Mathematics G100) - do they need STEP?

Thank you! I applied for Mathematics with economics at LSE

As for Cambridge, they will ask for STEP 100% (If I even get an offer) and
I am not too sure about Warwick
Reply 3982
Original post by fruktas

So, does the PS talk about MAths and Economics?

So, are you applying for pure maths - G 100 in Cambridge and Warwick?

Goodluck and best wishes!
Reply 3983
Original post by fruktas

Warwick will more than likely give the standard A*A*A2/A*AA1 offer, so yes they do ask for STEP.
Reply 3984
Hey finally decided to join after referring to this site for UCAS help :smile:

im a little bit worried about getting offers from the unis i have applied for, im currently doing a national diploma in media, and i am aiming for distinction, and hoping to study tourism management at uni (explained in my PS)

ive applied, for soton solent (great location) , swansea , bedfordshire, and york st john, the ND distinction will be equivalent to 360 UCAS points, so way above the required grades of 240 points , but i have comparitively weak gcse grades ( only 4 Cs, including english but not maths), but i have matured greatly since then

so whats the likelyhood of an offer ?, oddly im less worried about meeting there offer grades, im more worried about getting an offer

sure about me and countless thousands of offers are going for this, so any help would be greatly appreicated , thanks :wink:
Could somebody explain the difference between, BA (Bachelor of Arts) and BSc (Bachelor of Sciences)
Original post by King James
Could somebody explain the difference between, BA (Bachelor of Arts) and BSc (Bachelor of Sciences)

BA you get one of those if you do say, english lit, languages at uni. Bsc if you do Biology, chemistry.
Original post by .snowflake.
BA you get one of those if you do say, english lit, languages at uni. Bsc if you do Biology, chemistry.

Really, because Economics is offered in both BA and BSc...
Original post by cgvince
Hey finally decided to join after referring to this site for UCAS help :smile:

im a little bit worried about getting offers from the unis i have applied for, im currently doing a national diploma in media, and i am aiming for distinction, and hoping to study tourism management at uni (explained in my PS)

ive applied, for soton solent (great location) , swansea , bedfordshire, and york st john, the ND distinction will be equivalent to 360 UCAS points, so way above the required grades of 240 points , but i have comparitively weak gcse grades ( only 4 Cs, including english but not maths), but i have matured greatly since then

so whats the likelyhood of an offer ?, oddly im less worried about meeting there offer grades, im more worried about getting an offer

sure about me and countless thousands of offers are going for this, so any help would be greatly appreicated , thanks :wink:

Hey, I'm applying with similar GCSE'S (2C's and a B in English). I've explained in my PS that I've 'matured' since leaving school.

It depends on the content. Like Geography, it can be more scientific or more humanities-based. Don't ask me how, because I've just reached the limit of my knowledge of both, but there'll be people here who can tell you.

OOh, erm. Well, thats a bit like maths, and maths is strange. I don't know why its offered as both a BSc and a BA.
Original post by hassi94
It's 80% average over the whole a-level and 90% in A2. The 90% in maths is over C3/C4. And in Further Maths it is 90% over your best 3 A2 modules.

So you can get 60% in AS and then 100% in A2 and it would still be an A*.

Resits don't matter. I know a lot of people who've retaken modules for an A*

Original post by SecretDuck
It doesn't matter if you retake a module, afaik. And it's 90% overall in A2 and 80% in the entire A-Level.

Hi, can I ask a quick question - do people think it's particularly unwise to apply with only one of my Top 5 being a reserve choice? I've chosen four unis with AAA offers and and one with AAB. I'm predicted A*A*A, but I don't know whether I should apply to a second with AAB... not many places offer my course and I doubt whether I'd accept it if that was what I got, I'd just do retakes. Anyway any advice would be appreciated :smile: How many of your 5 are potential reserve choices?

Usually a BSc is a bit more mathematical, but this isn't always true. Economics is more and more becoming more mathematically based rather than theory and so many institutions are moving it to BSc. It really doesn't matter - just look if the course content appeals to you.
Original post by emmaaa88
Hi, can I ask a quick question - do people think it's particularly unwise to apply with only one of my Top 5 being a reserve choice? I've chosen four unis with AAA offers and and one with AAB. I'm predicted A*A*A, but I don't know whether I should apply to a second with AAB... not many places offer my course and I doubt whether I'd accept it if that was what I got, I'd just do retakes. Anyway any advice would be appreciated :smile: How many of your 5 are potential reserve choices?

Are you confident about making the grades? And as you said if you wouldn't be happy going to that uni there's no use applying, is there? :smile:

I personally don't really have any reserve, mine are all between A*AA and A*A*A.
Original post by hassi94
Are you confident about making the grades? And as you said if you wouldn't be happy going to that uni there's no use applying, is there? :smile:

I personally don't really have any reserve, mine are all between A*AA and A*A*A.

Who ask for A*A*A for maths?
Original post by .snowflake.
Who ask for A*A*A for maths?

Warwick (with a 2 in STEP, you can lower it to A*AA with a 1 in STEP). Cambridge do SOMETIMES but not that often (with the 1,1 in STEP II/III). Oh and Oxford do but I'm not applying there :tongue:
Original post by hassi94

Yeah, good point! Sorry I wouldn't have asked but it stops me dithering over it if someone confirms what I was thinking :tongue:
Original post by hassi94
Warwick (with a 2 in STEP, you can lower it to A*AA with a 1 in STEP). Cambridge do SOMETIMES but not that often (with the 1,1 in STEP II/III). Oh and Oxford do but I'm not applying there :tongue:

O_o. I'm glad I'm not doing maths. I'm not clever enough.
Original post by emmaaa88

Your call. I would add a couple that were lower even if I was confident because you need to get offers before you can meet them and it is good to have an insurance you know you will meet. Ultimately only you know but there is no point adding a course you don't want to do.

I was predicted A*A*AA or A*AAA (I don't remember) and my typical offers were: A*AA, AAA, AABb, AAB, ABB

Latest

Trending

Trending