The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medbh4805
It's like these "proofs" that 1=0 and other crap :sigh:

Oh yes. 'Let's divide by zero, but mask it so that it doesn't appear that way'. :no:
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Oh yes. 'Let's divide by zero, but mask it so that it doesn't appear that way'. :no:

It enrages me :angry:

the people who come up with them always seem to think they're the next Einstein too :lol:
Reply 5982
"07-10-2011 (12:40) Your reference has been completed and is waiting for approval."

Pleasant surprise, seeing as I wasn't in on Friday to chase him up. My bit is done so hopefully the head of sixth can send it off pretty sharpish :smile:
Original post by Aesc
"07-10-2011 (12:40) Your reference has been completed and is waiting for approval."

Pleasant surprise, seeing as I wasn't in on Friday to chase him up. My bit is done so hopefully the head of sixth can send it off pretty sharpish :smile:

:woo:

can I ask how you're preparing for interview besides reading around? I'm a bit stuck for ideas as to what else I can do :colondollar:
Original post by JohnJoe
Arrrgh, I wish someone would reply back for my PS. >:frown:

Give it a chance! We work in days, not hours. Plus, with the Oxbridge deadline fast approaching, those PSs will unfortunately take priority. It will be looked at eventually, but if you make any alterations, just post them in the thread so we can look at your most up to date draft :smile:
Original post by *Interrobang*
Give it a chance! We work in days, not hours. Plus, with the Oxbridge deadline fast approaching, those PSs will unfortunately take priority. It will be looked at eventually, but if you make any alterations, just post them in the thread so we can look at your most up to date draft :smile:

It's alright, I know that!

Like I said, it's more about my editor and my prof. :wink:
Reply 5986
Your original universities of choice won't notice anyway, so it will not hurt, but your PS might be biased towards dental tech. which might decrease your chances of getting offers from your two remaining choices.

However, I doubt you will lose anything by adding them.

ÆDIT: @parry_93

EDIT 2: I think I forgot to choose which campus at Essex; will that harm my chances of getting an offer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5987
:woo:

can I ask how you're preparing for interview besides reading around? I'm a bit stuck for ideas as to what else I can do :colondollar:

In theory I'm going back over everything in myPS and making notes, plus trying to get a bit further into my Latin textbook, plus listening to a few podcasty things
In practice I spent the whole of last weekend playing computer games and the whole of this weekend reading highly irrelevant books. And I'm behind on my homework. But I've found out that the Glasgow course is pretty gorgeous and the entry requirements might be lower than I thought, so I'm not feeling too useless.

Oxford interviews are like 7th to 9th, is that right? I think Cam Classics is 5th to 7th. Oh dear. And I've just remembered that I'll have to do a language aptitude test. Double oh dear. If you come up with anything let me know? :s-smilie:

Oh, and I might try to get to the British Museum in half term, and I need to give my EPQ a push, so that should help a bit too. And I might read a little tiny bit of philosophy as I haven't got any in my PS. I don't think I've got time for a breakdown so that will have to wait until the Christmas holidays.
Original post by Aesc
I don't think I've got time for a breakdown so that will have to wait until the Christmas holidays.

:lol: tell me about it!
Original post by Aesc
In theory I'm going back over everything in myPS and making notes, plus trying to get a bit further into my Latin textbook, plus listening to a few podcasty things
In practice I spent the whole of last weekend playing computer games and the whole of this weekend reading highly irrelevant books. And I'm behind on my homework. But I've found out that the Glasgow course is pretty gorgeous and the entry requirements might be lower than I thought, so I'm not feeling too useless.

Oxford interviews are like 7th to 9th, is that right? I think Cam Classics is 5th to 7th. Oh dear. And I've just remembered that I'll have to do a language aptitude test. Double oh dear. If you come up with anything let me know? :s-smilie:

Oh, and I might try to get to the British Museum in half term, and I need to give my EPQ a push, so that should help a bit too. And I might read a little tiny bit of philosophy as I haven't got any in my PS. I don't think I've got time for a breakdown so that will have to wait until the Christmas holidays.

podcasts, interesting :beard:

my school's formal is coming up so predictably everyone in my school is talking about nothing else and I keep being dragged into town on impromtu shopping trips :s-smilie: sigh

the worst thing is that the CATs are in a week when I have five outings which have been preplanned for a long time and friend coming to stay, I'm trying to think of a way organising my time so I don't end up walking into the exam overtired/hungover and have enough revision done :holmes:

and interview prep to do on top of that, and getting my written work checked to make usre I haven't written anything outrageous/nonsensical :sigh:

fol :sad: (fml but our)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5990
podcasts, interesting :beard:

my school's formal is coming up so predictably everyone in my school is talking about nothing else and I keep being dragged into town on impromtu shopping trips :s-smilie: sigh

the worst thing is that the CATs are in a week when I have five outings which have been preplanned for a long time and friend coming to stay, I'm trying to think of a way organising my time so I don't end up walking into the exam overtired/hungover and have enough revision done :holmes:

and interview prep to do on top of that, and getting my written work checked to make usre I haven't written anything outrageous/nonsensical :sigh:

fol :sad: (fml but our)

Alright, I'm going to guess that NI doesn't have BBC, but on the off chance it does: The 'podcasts' are from BBC Radio 4, online, there's a series called "A history of the worldi in 100 objects" with things from the British Museum which I think is still up there, if you want to be able to talk about some of the relics we have. Or far better, there's a series called In Our Time which is really fab, its been going about 10 years so there are loads of classical themed shows in the archives, it's basically three lecturers discussing a topic for 45 mins. I heard a really good one recently about Etruria, and there are some great ones in the archives, on history/literature/culture/religion (and some pants ones on science)

I've been going a bit overboard with recent homework essays in English and History because I haven't got any which are really relevant and I've binned most from last year. Cam do their tests actually at interview, which is a bit of a relief (unless it's so hard I'm still shaking when I got into the interview). If you don't mind me saying so, though, I'd imagine that the fact that you've self-taught Latin and Greek to such a high standard (the UNIQ mentors seemed very impressed), with your super grades, makes you a very very strong candidate anyway :colondollar:
Original post by Aesc
Alright, I'm going to guess that NI doesn't have BBC, but on the off chance it does: The 'podcasts' are from BBC Radio 4, online, there's a series called "A history of the worldi in 100 objects" with things from the British Museum which I think is still up there, if you want to be able to talk about some of the relics we have. Or far better, there's a series called In Our Time which is really fab, its been going about 10 years so there are loads of classical themed shows in the archives, it's basically three lecturers discussing a topic for 45 mins. I heard a really good one recently about Etruria, and there are some great ones in the archives, on history/literature/culture/religion (and some pants ones on science)

Of course we get BBC in Northern Ireland!! :zomg: We're part of the UK after all :wink:

Thanks for the info (slipped you a +1 there :sexface: ), I'll check this stuff out if I have time :smile:

I've been going a bit overboard with recent homework essays in English and History because I haven't got any which are really relevant and I've binned most from last year. Cam do their tests actually at interview, which is a bit of a relief (unless it's so hard I'm still shaking when I got into the interview).

I emailed them in july to ask about them, and they just suggested I write my own ones from scratch, so I've done one discussing to what extent Virgil imitates Homer, then I have two others done, one on Agamemnon (Iliad character) and Agamemnon (Aeschylus' play). It's stressing me out that I have no one to mark them :colonhash:

and I'm sure you'll be fine :tongue: have you looked at any past papers? Are they the sort of ones where you get a made up language and have to pick out features of speech?

If you don't mind me saying so, though, I'd imagine that the fact that you've self-taught Latin and Greek to such a high standard (the UNIQ mentors seemed very impressed), with your super grades, makes you a very very strong candidate anyway :colondollar:

I do love a bit of flattery :sexface:
HELL YES.

My prof filled in my ref. OH YES. Took him two days. OH YES.

Now I just need my PS corrected, then I'm set to send.
Original post by *Interrobang*

Your signature is amazing.
Reply 5994
Of course we get BBC in Northern Ireland!! :zomg: We're part of the UK after all :wink:

Thanks for the info (slipped you a +1 there :sexface: ), I'll check this stuff out if I have time :smile:

I emailed them in july to ask about them, and they just suggested I write my own ones from scratch, so I've done one discussing to what extent Virgil imitates Homer, then I have two others done, one on Agamemnon (Iliad character) and Agamemnon (Aeschylus' play). It's stressing me out that I have no one to mark them :colonhash:

and I'm sure you'll be fine :tongue: have you looked at any past papers? Are they the sort of ones where you get a made up language and have to pick out features of speech?

I do love a bit of flattery :sexface:

Ah, but are you in Britain? There is no "UKBC", after all! (Ta very much for the +1, I just hope it might help you)

When I went to the Cam open day and I mentioned not having Latin, the senior admissions tutor at the college we lunched at (Churchill) said he'd be interested to see my history essay or French essay, then I emailed my college of choice recently and they said any subject would do. I'd like to do an essay on the Iliad from an English Lit point of view, but it would have been too risky methinks.

I looked at the Oxford past paper, which was like that and was pretty damn enjoyable, but Cam hasn't put up any examples so I'm crossing my fingers it's the same style.

Anytime :sexface: I won't pretend I'm not slightly in awe, if I was going up against you I would be bricking myself, ngl. I could accept it if you were at a private school, but you aren't, so my only defence is that girls are naturally better (at languages at any rate :P)
Original post by Contrad!ction.
2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0 ?
I fully realise the answer to that should be 26.

But: I think the spacing of the question (in particular the spaces around the multiplication sign) almost implies brackets, and therefore that the answer should be 0.
So how bad is it if I can't really remember the addresses of my employees and just write my city down in the address field?
Original post by JohnJoe
So how bad is it if I can't really remember the addresses of my employees and just write my city down in the address field?

You don't have to put your employers down.
Original post by Beebumble
You don't have to put your employers down.

Am I too eager wanting to fill in everything? :/

Wouldn't it be a little empty if I didn't put them all down? I did a ****load of different jobs but I have no clue where and when anymore. I can't even remember a SINGLE address. Names, okay, but addresses :/?
Original post by Aesc
Ah, but are you in Britain? There is no "UKBC", after all! (Ta very much for the +1, I just hope it might help you)

Aye, but it's clearly British with reference to the UK. Here you go:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/

When I went to the Cam open day and I mentioned not having Latin, the senior admissions tutor at the college we lunched at (Churchill) said he'd be interested to see my history essay or French essay, then I emailed my college of choice recently and they said any subject would do. I'd like to do an essay on the Iliad from an English Lit point of view, but it would have been too risky methinks.

It would be grand if you were doing any Classical texts in translation for English literature, do you have any coursework this year where you're allowed to pick what texts you study?

I looked at the Oxford past paper, which was like that and was pretty damn enjoyable, but Cam hasn't put up any examples so I'm crossing my fingers it's the same style.

I'd imagine it would be somewhat similar, though it seems a bit mean not to put any past papers online :K:

Anytime :sexface: I won't pretend I'm not slightly in awe, if I was going up against you I would be bricking myself, ngl. I could accept it if you were at a private school, but you aren't, so my only defence is that girls are naturally better (at languages at any rate :P)

Aww, thanks. I hope all the UNIQ peeps get in

Latest

Trending

Trending