The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xKTx
OK, taking a rough, quick example from my subject (psychology), you could say something like 'I am interested in the different theories surrounding autism, such as 'extreme male brain' and lack of central coherence (don't worry if you don't know what these are :p: ), because it is a pervasive condition that affects people in many different ways, yet people are trying to explain it using one theory.'

OK, so you wouldn't just list a load of interests and you would back it up with more theory (e.g. by explaining the theories a bit more), but the basic idea is there :smile:

Psychology applicant here! :hi: I'm having the same problem... looking over what I have of my PS so far, it seems very detached (i.e. I'm having a difficult time connecting the theories to myself). So far I'm just analysing them and connecting them to other things, but not necessarily me. :K: Help?

ETA: taking from your rough example, would you recommend elaborating on 'extreme male brain' and lack of central coherence following that statement? Or saying how people are affected/connecting it to other things? Or just leaving it there and shutting up about that topic? :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ahpadt
I already helped someone else at diskusjon.no with his PS. I even sent him mine for inspiration. It's about trust.

I'd like to think that I know what needs to be inside a PS. So many people tell you to include a bunch of crap which doesn't matter.

When it came to my own PS, I spent weeks writing it. The feedback I got from others who read it, was mostly just grammar related/slight wording change.

We can't control what happens on other forums, but this is what we advocate on this one. The fact of the matter (unfortunately) is that some people do lie on the internet. The whole point about PS help is that it is confidential and guaranteed that people will not steal your PS for their own benefit, as they have no reason to. Thousands of people have submitted and had their PSs reviewed in PS help. We have written the guidance on the TSR Wiki for writing PSs

I'm not saying that you don't know what makes a good PS, or even that you would steal it, but it's just a general rule that we abide by, as it's the safest way to ensure an applicant's PS is safe.
Original post by ahpadt
I already helped someone else at diskusjon.no with his PS. I even sent him mine for inspiration. It's about trust.

I'd like to think that I know what needs to be inside a PS. So many people tell you to include a bunch of crap which doesn't matter.

When it came to my own PS, I spent weeks writing it. The feedback I got from others who read it, was mostly just grammar related/slight wording change.

I'm not aiming this specifically at you, just as general advice for everyone.

If you want to get feedback on your personal statement, from anyone on TSR, please use the PS Help forum. There are two main reasons for this:

1. It is entirely safe from plagiarism. Every PS Helper has proved that they are a graduate, or at university, or at the very least hold an unconditional offer. They therefore have no reason to plagiarise your PS. I've heard of cases in the past where people have sent their PS to someone else, who then proceeded to use parts of it themselves.

2. We know what we're talking about when it comes to personal statements :yes:
Original post by punctuation
Psychology applicant here! :hi: I'm having the same problem... looking over what I have of my PS so far, it seems very detached (i.e. I'm having a difficult time connecting the theories to myself). So far I'm just analysing them and connecting them to other things, but not necessarily me. :K: Help?

When you say connecting them to yourself, do you mean as in relating them to your behaviour (e.g. 'I have realised that I conformed in English lessons, like Asch's experiments'), or how you're interested in them? If it's the former, don't bother :p: If it's the latter - well you must have had a reason to read the stuff if it's not part of your course! If you want, you can post your PS in the PS help forum for someone (probably me :p: ) to look at :smile:
Original post by xKTx
When you say connecting them to yourself, do you mean as in relating them to your behaviour (e.g. 'I have realised that I conformed in English lessons, like Asch's experiments'), or how you're interested in them? If it's the former, don't bother :p: If it's the latter - well you must have had a reason to read the stuff if it's not part of your course! If you want, you can post your PS in the PS help forum for someone (probably me :p: ) to look at :smile:

Hahaha, oh no, I definitely mean the latter!

I'll post my PS in that forum soon, but I'm not finished it yet so I want to get at least the first draft completely done before I send it off. :s-smilie:

How many sentences would you suggest devoting to each book/major theory? I have about 5-7 sentences. Too much? My PS is over-limit at the moment. :frown:

Oh, and would you suggest referencing studies/theories that are more recent in nature, but may not be well known... or those that are older, a bit more well known, and more widely discussed?

Ack, I'm being confusing, aren't I...

For the second option, I'm not going to start talking about Freud or anything, but for the first option, I mean something I found in the BPS Journal or Psychology Today.

Which option would be more... highly regarded, I suppose?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hahaha, oh no, I definitely mean the latter!

I'll post my PS in that forum soon, but I'm not finished it yet so I want to get at least the first draft completely done before I send it off. :s-smilie:

How many sentences would you suggest devoting to each book/major theory? I have about 5-7 sentences. Too much? My PS is over-limit at the moment. :frown:

Oh, and would you suggest referencing studies and/or theories that are more recent in nature, but may not be well known... or those that are older, a bit more well known, and more widely discussed? Ack, I'm being confusing, aren't I... For the second option, I'm not going to start talking about Freud or anything, but for the first option, I mean something I found in the BPS Journal or Psychology Today. Which option would be more... highly regarded, I suppose?

There's no 'hard and fast' answer for the amount of space - an applicant could write an amazing PS but write their whole academic section on one book. On the other hand, someone could write one just as good with mentioning two or three books, in the same amount of space. Make sure you don't sound like you're trying to 'teach' the admissions tutors the psychology.

As for your second question - it's not about how well regarded the studies are, but how you talk about them. Ones like Milgram/Zimbardo etc have been done to death, so it would be refreshing for admissions tutors (certainly for me when I read PSs!) to read about something more unique, in the likes of the BPS journal or PT :smile:
Original post by xKTx
I know you've posted your PS in the PS help forum, so I don't think you would do this, but it goes for ANYONE else on this site - please don't PM or email your PS to anyone on here. The PS helpers have proven that they're at uni already/have met their offers/are graduates and so they won't steal your statement. You have no such guarantees with a random user on here

I would just like to reiterate this. You don't want to risk having your PS flagged for plagiarism. :no:
Original post by xKTx
There's no 'hard and fast' answer for the amount of space - an applicant could write an amazing PS but write their whole academic section on one book. On the other hand, someone could write one just as good with mentioning two or three books, in the same amount of space. Make sure you don't sound like you're trying to 'teach' the admissions tutors the psychology.

As for your second question - it's not about how well regarded the studies are, but how you talk about them. Ones like Milgram/Zimbardo etc have been done to death, so it would be refreshing for admissions tutors (certainly for me when I read PSs!) to read about something more unique, in the likes of the BPS journal or PT :smile:

Okay, thanks! This has been a lot of help. I plan to finish my PS once my last book comes in the mail. :smile:
How many PS drafts have you done so far guys ? i am on 7 already :mad: i can tell this is going to have a bad ending lol
Original post by jordanclarke23
How many PS drafts have you done so far guys ? i am on 7 already :mad: i can tell this is going to have a bad ending lol

I'm on 4. :biggrin: They're mostly extensions of the previous PS, but reworded better. :wink: Probably will get to 5 or 6 when I'm ready to send it to PS helpers.
Reply 1790
I'm fixing up my second a bit, let's say I'm on draft number 2.5 :tongue:
Original post by stifa
I'm fixing up my second a bit, let's say I'm on draft number 2.5 :tongue:

How long is yours? :s-smilie:
Reply 1792
It was 3200 characters long... it's back on 2500 or so now though, because some parts where really horrid.

How is yours coming along?
Reply 1793
Original post by xKTx
We can't control what happens on other forums, but this is what we advocate on this one. The fact of the matter (unfortunately) is that some people do lie on the internet. The whole point about PS help is that it is confidential and guaranteed that people will not steal your PS for their own benefit, as they have no reason to. Thousands of people have submitted and had their PSs reviewed in PS help. We have written the guidance on the TSR Wiki for writing PSs

There are not many decent places for Norwegians to go for help with their personal statements. Even the organisations who help you to apply are kinda lumpy. I simply did it as a friendly service. I don't think any of you will understand, as your "university culture" is all geared toward UK uni's, while in Norway only a minority apply for UK uni's.

I'm not saying that you don't know what makes a good PS

With the way you replied to me, it sorta sounds like you do

or even that you would steal it

Why would I steal a PS when I've already been accepted to a uni?

I would consider applying as a PS Helper but my uni email hasnt been activated yet.
Original post by stifa
It was 3200 characters long... it's back on 2500 or so now though, because some parts where really horrid.

How is yours coming along?

Wow, nice.

Mine's still too long, haven't touched it for a few weeks. I want to read my last book before I finish things off.

Original post by ahpadt
There are not many decent places for Norwegians to go for help with their personal statements. Even the organisations who help you to apply are kinda lumpy.

Just a note, you Norwegians are lucky to have even 'lumpy organisations'. :s-smilie: The rest of us internationals are stuck on our own. Not that I mind, just that it's nice for you guys to have an option.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1795
To be honest, once they had told me the basics of applying, I learnt how everything else was done on my own.

Even coming to this forum might only lead to confusion for some, as each uni seems to have it's own religious followers and it's impossible to get objective views on each uni/course.

I have no experience with the PS Help service, so I can't comment on that particular section.
I haven't even done a single draft, I want to start but I'd feel a bit of a loser doing it today :tongue:
Original post by ahpadt
To be honest, once they had told me the basics of applying, I learnt how everything else was done on my own.

Even coming to this forum might only lead to confusion for some, as each uni seems to have it's own religious followers and it's impossible to get objective views on each uni/course.

I have no experience with the PS Help service, so I can't comment on that particular section.

Just a note, if you quote someone's post, you're more likely to get a reply. :smile:

Anyway, I find that if one can overlook the subjectivity, or just refrain from seeking personal opinions on the merits of universities, the other information (e.g. personal experience with certain unis' programs) is quite substantial and worthwhile. Besides, there's subjectivity everywhere, you're not going to escape it by avoiding TSR in favour of another forum.

Original post by madders94
I haven't even done a single draft, I want to start but I'd feel a bit of a loser doing it today :tongue:

Oh no, what's wrong with starting today?! You should just jot some notes on a paper about how you'd like to structure your PS, it's easier than thinking "I need to write 4000 characters".
Oh no, what's wrong with starting today?! You should just jot some notes on a paper about how you'd like to structure your PS, it's easier than thinking "I need to write 4000 characters".

It's my birthday and I can't sleep, I can't help but feel like I should be doing something more exciting than jotting down notes for a personal statement, but all my friends are 100 miles away :tongue:
Original post by madders94
It's my birthday and I can't sleep, I can't help but feel like I should be doing something more exciting than jotting down notes for a personal statement, but all my friends are 100 miles away :tongue:

Happy birthday! Yes, you should sleep, I just realized how late it is in the UK. Sleep! It's good for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending