The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mandrake45
6ft. It was an early VFR 400.

Oh, that would explain it! I assumed you meant a VFR 750 or 800. No wonder it was small.
Heh. I mentioned that I'd owned a 400 a few pages back and assumed everyone had kept up :tongue:
Heh. I mentioned that I'd owned a 400 a few pages back and assumed everyone had kept up :tongue:

Me, keep up? What is this? I never keep up. =P
Hey guys, I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are on a CBF 125 as a first bike? Good/bad/average? I'm looking into getting one so any help would be appreciated! I'm from Northern Ireland ( no DAS) so I'll be sticking with the bike I get for a few years.
Reply 584
Original post by StarsAndBoulevard

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are on a CBF 125 as a first bike? Good/bad/average? I'm looking into getting one so any help would be appreciated! I'm from Northern Ireland ( no DAS) so I'll be sticking with the bike I get for a few years.

I'm getting a CBR, although Wiggles is trying to persuade me to get a YBR instead.

She also says Landy has to be nice to me :smile:.
Original post by Juno
I'm getting a CBR, although Wiggles is trying to persuade me to get a YBR instead.

She also says Landy has to be nice to me :smile:.

I was looking at a CBR too :smile: Though with CBF's being slightly cheaper and slightly more economical I was swayed towards that instead. Is the CBR regarded as being better?
Reply 586

I was looking at a CBR too :smile: Though with CBF's being slightly cheaper and slightly more economical I was swayed towards that instead. Is the CBR regarded as being better?

Why do you think I'd know that? I go by how pretty they are.
Original post by Juno
Why do you think I'd know that? I go by how pretty they are.

:laugh: Point taken, I'll wait and see if anyone has got any more info.
If it comes down to it though I shall definitely take the prettiness into account :tongue:
Reply 588

If it comes down to it though I shall definitely take the prettiness into account :tongue:

A YBR is a very good bike, reliable, will hit 60 and about quite cheap, and doesn't look silly with a top box. The CBR is more expensive, rev's more, probably a higher top speed, and will need more servicing than the YBR [wiggles] thinks.
Reply 589

The prettiness of a bike is always important!
I'm afraid all the people with technical and sensible opinions aren't around at present. I'm sure they'll make their appearance sometime soon!

Great little bike from Honda so you can't go wrong with it; They're reknowned for their bulletproof engines. The riding position is quite upright and bloody comfortable but it's not my style of bike. It's very popular with training schools because of it's high friendly usability.

The CBF 125 is a great bike to start with =) They're basically invulnerable, will go on forever, and hold value well if you buy a good second-hand one. Not to mention they're insanely fuel-efficient.
Original post by LandyJon
Great little bike from Honda so you can't go wrong with it; They're reknowned for their bulletproof engines. The riding position is quite upright and bloody comfortable but it's not my style of bike. It's very popular with training schools because of it's high friendly usability.

Original post by omicronlyrae
The CBF 125 is a great bike to start with =) They're basically invulnerable, will go on forever, and hold value well if you buy a good second-hand one. Not to mention they're insanely fuel-efficient.

Pretty much what I'm looking for in a first bike :smile: I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a major flaw or anything with it!
Reply 593
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
The prettiness of a bike is always important!
I'm afraid all the people with technical and sensible opinions aren't around at present. I'm sure they'll make their appearance sometime soon!

Are you saying I don't have a sensible opinion?

:getmecoat:
Reply 594
Original post by Juno
Are you saying I don't have a sensible opinion?

:getmecoat:

We just tend to focus on other aspects like the aesthetics that may not be relevant at this time. (Did I manage to dig myself out of the hole?)
If I had to get another 125 I'd get a supermoto.

Back to the actual question though, the CBF is probably the better bet for most people than the CBR. If it's anything like when I started, it'll be easier to ride for taller people than the CBR and much less likely to get nicked.
For what it's worth, the Yamaha YBR 125 is also a good bet - I had one for nearly a year and it was fantastic. =)
Here's another question. If you had £2k to spend on a bike for commuting, distance riding and general fun, what would you get?
Here's another question. If you had £2k to spend on a bike for commuting, distance riding and general fun, what would you get?

I would try and get a Honda CBF600S. I have one now. It was more than 2k - I spent £2750, but it had under 9k miles on it, is an 06 plate/model, has an alarm, aftermarket screen, etc. If you're not that bothered about mileage, unlike myself, then you can probably get one for 2k. MCN/other people call the bike dull, but I love it. It's still plenty fast enough for me, as well as being really comfy and having excellent wind protection, and getting 53mpg average. This is actually my second - originally I owned an N, the naked version, before deciding that motorway miles meant I needed a decent amount of wind protection.

Since buying it, I've fitted a rear hugger - looks good, helps protect the rear shock - crash bungs - in case I ever drop it - and a topbox/topbox rack. Future plans include panniers, heated grips, and a cigarette lighter/USB power socket so I can charge things. Then Emma (that's the name of my bike =P) will be finished =)

EDIT: I am biased, so, other people probably won't agree with me =P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 599

For what it's worth, the Yamaha YBR 125 is also a good bet - I had one for nearly a year and it was fantastic. =)

that's what she's trying to make me get

Latest

Trending

Trending