The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

How competitive are the London Met psychology doctorates?

Just wondering
Reply 1
Well it is London Met....
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Original post by therealOG
Well it is London Met....

So what is the supposed to mean more exactly?
Reply 3
Original post by kelpic
So what is the supposed to mean more exactly?

Nothing :colondollar:
Reply 4
they do let any tom dick and harry in, but depends how well u stand out 1.1 or msc? expereince?

any 1 of the above should b enough for lon met loll

if u got a spare 5mins do ya mind filling out a quik questionniare 4 my disso pls

http://www.kwiksurveys.com?s=NHHIMJ_1e26866c
Reply 5
Nothing :colondollar:

I'm serious. I wasn't 100% sure what you were emplying. Are you saying that they're not competitive because London Met doesn't have a very good rep?
Original post by kelpic
I'm serious. I wasn't 100% sure what you were emplying. Are you saying that they're not competitive because London Met doesn't have a very good rep?

London Met should be the least competitive university in the UK, as it generally resides at the very bottom of most league tables.
Reply 7
Original post by VintageJasmine
London Met should be the least competitive university in the UK, as it generally resides at the very bottom of most league tables.

Yes but psychology doctorates are generally very very competitive. So considering that, do you still think that London Met doctorates are not very competitive?? I'm puzzled because this is a very competitive course at a very uncompetitive uni.....so would that make it a moderately competitive course to get on to?I wonder....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kelpic
Yes but psychology doctorates are generally very very competitive. So considering that, do you still think that London Met doctorates are not very competitive?? I'm puzzled because this is a very competitive course at a very uncompetitive uni.....so would that make it a moderately competitive course to get on to?I wonder....

I imagine all doctorates are generally quite competitive. That being said, I'm sure a course at London Met is considerably less competitive than a course at a more well-established university.

I suppose the easiest way to phrase it would be to say that regardless of how competitive it seems, it's still one of the easiest universities to get a place at. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Hiya,

Doctorates don't follow the normal rules of competitiveness. London Met run the following psych Doctorates:

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Counselling Psychology
Health Psychology
Occupational Psychology

The above Doctorates entail self funding, they are not under government funding scheme like Clinical Psych and Educational Psych, which are extremely competitive, only 20% of applicants a year make it onto the clinical doctorate and 15% for Ed Psych. You have to have a minimum of a 2:1 and a few years relevant experience.

Although the above Doctorates are unfortunately not subject to government funded training schemes I believe they are still competitive, candidates are expected to have a 2:1 psych degree, in some cases such as Health they are expected to already have an MSc in Health Psychology, then candidates are required to have a period of relevant paid work experience. Despite the self-funding these jobs are desirable therefore places on the Doctorates are competitive.

I'm not sure if London Met being further down the league tables will make much difference, it tends to make far less difference at Doctoral level. For example the University of the East of London is at the bottom of the League tables but has a prestigious Postgraduate Psychology Department, that is one of the 10 uni's to run the Ed Psych Doctorate, they receive hundreds of applications for the 12 places they have as there is only 110 funded places nationally.

So at Doctorate level things are different. I would suggest looking on the British Psychological Society's website to gain further info on the various Psychologist career paths.

Good luck.
Original post by kelpic

Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for the health psychology doctorate. I've just submitted applications to Staffordshire, UWE and I'm considering London Met as a potential option. I wanted to apply for City uni, but they don't seem to be accepting applications :frown:

Last year I sent a copy of my CV and expressed my interest in the London Met health psychology doctorate course and was immediately invited to an interview (which raised red flags for me!).

In short, I would say London Met is probably not that competitive, but I'm very reluctant to continue my application to London Met given the negativity surrounding the uni.

But, I do think in general, self funded psychology doctorates are considerably less competitive than other psychology doctorates such as clinical psychology!!
Original post by EP2be
Hiya,

Doctorates don't follow the normal rules of competitiveness. London Met run the following psych Doctorates:

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Counselling Psychology
Health Psychology
Occupational Psychology

The above Doctorates entail self funding, they are not under government funding scheme like Clinical Psych and Educational Psych, which are extremely competitive, only 20% of applicants a year make it onto the clinical doctorate and 15% for Ed Psych. You have to have a minimum of a 2:1 and a few years relevant experience.

Although the above Doctorates are unfortunately not subject to government funded training schemes I believe they are still competitive, candidates are expected to have a 2:1 psych degree, in some cases such as Health they are expected to already have an MSc in Health Psychology, then candidates are required to have a period of relevant paid work experience. Despite the self-funding these jobs are desirable therefore places on the Doctorates are competitive.

I'm not sure if London Met being further down the league tables will make much difference, it tends to make far less difference at Doctoral level. For example the University of the East of London is at the bottom of the League tables but has a prestigious Postgraduate Psychology Department, that is one of the 10 uni's to run the Ed Psych Doctorate, they receive hundreds of applications for the 12 places they have as there is only 110 funded places nationally.

So at Doctorate level things are different. I would suggest looking on the British Psychological Society's website to gain further info on the various Psychologist career paths.

Good luck.

Thanks for posting this :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by *Elizabeth*
Hey,

I'm thinking of applying for the health psychology doctorate. I've just submitted applications to Staffordshire, UWE and I'm considering London Met as a potential option. I wanted to apply for City uni, but they don't seem to be accepting applications :frown:

Last year I sent a copy of my CV and expressed my interest in the London Met health psychology doctorate course and was immediately invited to an interview (which raised red flags for me!).

In short, I would say London Met is probably not that competitive, but I'm very reluctant to continue my application to London Met given the negativity surrounding the uni.

But, I do think in general, self funded psychology doctorates are considerably less competitive than other psychology doctorates such as clinical psychology!!

How come you've spent the last 12 years of your life in higher education?
How come you've spent the last 12 years of your life in higher education?

Many reasons, but mainly to improve my employment prospects, stand out from the huge pool of psychology graduates and because I enjoy learning and developing new skills.

I have worked throughout my education to support myself. I haven't spent the last X amount of years just studying. I deliberately worked full time or part time to fund my courses and to develop relevant work experience.
Reply 14
Original post by *Elizabeth*
Many reasons, but mainly to improve my employment prospects, stand out from the huge pool of psychology graduates and because I enjoy learning and developing new skills.

I have worked throughout my education to support myself. I haven't spent the last X amount of years just studying. I deliberately worked full time or part time to fund my courses and to develop relevant work experience.

Ahh nice. I thought you were one of those people who keeps piling on the postgrad courses to avoid having to work :wink:
Ahh nice. I thought you were one of those people who keeps piling on the postgrad courses to avoid having to work :wink:

Not at all :smile:

I've always tried to integrate myself into the workplace either via paid work or voluntary bits and bobs work.

An essental component of practitioner training in psychology involves combining work experience with some studying. I can't work as a Chartered Psychologist without any record of relevant work experience and working in various different services :smile:

Not all about studying- honest! :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi Elizabeth, I'm a third Year student (on track for a 2.1) with only my project left to do and am also planning on applying for the Clinical Psychology Doctorate. I have quite a bit of experience accumulated throughout my undergraduate studies both paid and voluntary within relevant fields so I am hoping that this will set me apart (somewhat) without having to work as a Psychology Assistant once I graduate (basically done loads of research work, worked in schools, prisons and currently in a hospital in clinical psych department) what kind of work experience have you got that is relevant to your application? I'm just wondering what my chances are and how much they would value my work experience over another applicant with a 1st class degree? I'm going to apply to UCL and UEL. Did you attend the London Met interview in the end? thx
Original post by BlueGems
Hi Elizabeth, I'm a third Year student (on track for a 2.1) with only my project left to do and am also planning on applying for the Clinical Psychology Doctorate. I have quite a bit of experience accumulated throughout my undergraduate studies both paid and voluntary within relevant fields so I am hoping that this will set me apart (somewhat) without having to work as a Psychology Assistant once I graduate (basically done loads of research work, worked in schools, prisons and currently in a hospital in clinical psych department) what kind of work experience have you got that is relevant to your application? I'm just wondering what my chances are and how much they would value my work experience over another applicant with a 1st class degree? I'm going to apply to UCL and UEL. Did you attend the London Met interview in the end? thx

Hey BlueGems,

You might want to check out this website for aspiring clinical psychologists.

http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/

I have a place on the health psych doctorate at Staffordshire, but I also have interviews for City and UWE coming up. If City uni offer me a place, I will go with them and decline my Staffs offer. I decided to stay clear of London Met. My health psy doctorate depends on finding full time work placements so the pressure is on!

I've collected relevant experience since graduating in 2003. Combination of voluntary Assistant Psychologist posts, paid researcher posts, publications and relevant voluntary experience as well as stuff learnt from my four psychology postgrad degrees.

Clinical is insanely competitive! I'm pursuing Chartership in Health Psychology at the moment because I know I don't stand a chance with clinical and I'm very interested in Health Psychology after my last researcher job at UCL! I'm definitely not applying for 2012 entry, but maybe in a few years time.

Depends on where you apply. I know UCL favours applicants with strong academic backgrounds (ie 1sts), but others favour experience. t.

Aim for a First if you can or at least a 67% average if you're thinking about applying for clinical.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending