The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Maths at york

Hi there

I just got my final statement of decisions from UCAS. I have pretty much decided I was going to accept York as my final offer. The thing is, its to study mathematics, and I can't think of a single job I would like to do that involves maths. In fact, its not like I love maths or anything I'm just doing it because I'm good-ish at it. I don't want to do maths anymore, but I don't want to do a gap year because its not as if I could go and do some work experience because I can't think of a job that I would really want to do!

Do you think I should cancel my application, repeat the year and do completely different A-levels and go do a degree in English (which I actually prefer, I just wish I would have done it when I began my A-levels), or just do a maths degree, which I don't exactly mind I just don't love either? Bearing in mind I would waste a year if I did have a gap year.
Reply 1
I think you asking 2 questions:

do you want to do maths
what jobs does maths lead to

if the answer to the 1st one is no then dont hide behind the 2nd one, and if it is then you may consider not doin maths, if you do want to do maths then there are lots of jobs that involve it, anlysiitst statasticians various jobs in banking and enginering, and then theres the jobs where you just need any old degree
University of York
York
hey ill prob go to york to study maths in october
u do realise that maths is a very rewarding subject
question though,
i got a letter from york saying they are pleased to make me an offer but i havent recieved the offer yet,
how long am i gonna b waiting
Reply 4
Maths is a good degree for different jobs, you know from teacher to economist to any sort of job involving lots of responisibility. I think the idea is if you can do a maths degree, you're clever, and you can do lots of other things.
who else is doing a maths degree at york,
has ne one recieved a letter from york saying they are pleased are to make an offer, yet havent recieved the offer from ucas
Reply 6
mathematician
has ne one recieved a letter from york saying they are pleased are to make an offer, yet havent recieved the offer from ucas

yeap, i received a letter from york a couple of days ago... i'm in malaysia and it must have taken at least a week for that letter to get over here.. and UCAS have not said anything yet.. i'm pretty sure it's not a problem tho, UCAS takes ages sometimes..
Reply 7
mathematician

My mate has york as his insurence for maths with cambridge as firm, and knowning him he'll be off to cambridge no probs

Latest

Trending

Trending