The Student Room Group

Challenges in finding a graduate job

Hi Everyone,

We are new to this forum and are not here in any sales capacity whatsoever.

Rather, as a student and graduate focused careers website, Gradplus would like your input regarding the biggest challenges you face in finding graduate jobs?

So, with that in mind, please let us know what area of work you're interested in, what you've done so far and how it's gone for you (good and bad experiences welcome).

If we can offer any advice as someone on the other side of the coin so to speak, we will. Likewise, if you have any direct questions about graduate job hunting, please feel free to ask.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Reply 1
Well the obvious biggest challenge for me was the competition and staying motivated knowing how many people wanted the job. This was for a training contract in a law firm - I kept at it and have one now but it wasn't easy and I don't think many people do find it easy.
Reply 2
Unpaid internships instead of actual jobs.

I wouldn't mind if not for the fact that they are all in major cities which I can't afford to travel to!
Reply 3
The most challenging thing about finding a graduate job is the number of other applicants.

This is a problem not because you are directly competing with a lot of other people, but because it forces companies to introduce arbitrary application filtering techniques. Once you're into the interviewing and assessment centre process, I found it quite easy.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending