The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bacharach
The basic requirement for Warwick is either AAAb or A*AA, it would be interesting to know when each one is used. Perhaps A*AA is the offer often given to resit candidates...

So a prediction of A*AA as a resit candidate might not be the end of the world especially if you've done well at AS.

Also, in regards to the personal statement, when you said 65% academic and 35% ECs, do things like Target 2.0 count as academic or ECs? Would accounting work experience count as academic or ECs?

No, it's not a resit offer. I'm a resit student and i've been told if i were to receive an offer, it would be AAAb which i'm actually not pleased about as A*AA is easier for me :tongue:
A*AA is for people who have no AS.

I don't think you have to be so % intensive.

I have included stuff like target 2.0 in my subjects paragraph as i think it relates most to academia.
Reply 61
Original post by Jeeves_90
JUST got an Unconditional from Nottingham XD!!
...they got back too me really quick Now just waiting on Birmingham that will probably take a week or two lol

Anybody else thinking of going Nottingham or bham? :biggrin:

Bham was lazy got me last but congrats :biggrin:
If you like Notts, i would take that over Bham as the prestige is better.

Also, have you been able to look at course structure for them yet? I can't seem to find it for bham.
Reply 62
what does everyone think.
LSE accounting or finance Vs WBS accounting and finance.
Which is more prestigious worldwide and with IB's.
Reply 63
Original post by Alpha5

I would have to say LSE worldwide but they seem pretty equal for IB chances.
They are both are of the top 6 target unis.

Personally, i think it should really come down to which you like when picking between the two.
Reply 64
whats the perfect profile e.g grades, subjects, GCSE's ec's for both would you say, that would give you a good chance of an offer?
Reply 65
Original post by uxa595
No, it's not a resit offer. I'm a resit student and i've been told if i were to receive an offer, it would be AAAb which i'm actually not pleased about as A*AA is easier for me :tongue:
A*AA is for people who have no AS.

I don't think you have to be so % intensive.

I have included stuff like target 2.0 in my subjects paragraph as i think it relates most to academia.

Oh ok, that actually works out better for me as I have strong AS grades and it means my resit predictions will be better than the offer given to resit candidates.

Did you receive that information from WBS themselves?
Original post by Alpha5

LSE is more preferred by banks than Warwick (albeit marginally), but plenty of WBS students get into IB too.

In the end, just choose which uni you prefer as both will give you a good shot at getting into IB.

However if you literally have no preference at all, you may as well got for LSE which has a better reputation, both worldwide and amongst banks.
Reply 67
Original post by Confused101
LSE is more preferred by banks than Warwick (albeit marginally), but plenty of WBS students get into IB too.

In the end, just choose which uni you prefer as both will give you a good shot at getting into IB.

However if you literally have no preference at all, you may as well got for LSE which has a better reputation, both worldwide and amongst banks.

i think with LSE its stupidly competitive to get into, last time i checked it was 2000 applicants for near 175 places or something. Warwick is far less at more like 800 applicants for the same amount of places.
Reply 68
Original post by uxa595
Bham was lazy got me last but congrats :biggrin:
If you like Notts, i would take that over Bham as the prestige is better.

Also, have you been able to look at course structure for them yet? I can't seem to find it for bham.

Oh so did bham get back to you the latest?

Yep ive got the course structure for Bham..here goes

First year:
Basic accounting, Analytical techniques and IT, Introduction to Finance and management accounting, Principles of English law, Intro to Economics,Macroeconomics and Financial markets,Business organisation and management and prof skill

Second year:
Taxation, auditing, Business Law, Management accounting, Info systems for accounting, Company accounting and accounting theory, Human resource management, Corporate finance management and marketing principles

Third year:
extended essay, Advanced finance, Advanced financial accounting, adv management accounting, adv accounting theory and policy
Reply 69
Original post by Alpha5
i think with LSE its stupidly competitive to get into, last time i checked it was 2000 applicants for near 175 places or something. Warwick is far less at more like 800 applicants for the same amount of places.

That can be cut down a LOT though. Some people prefer to go Warwick instead (like me), some people miss their offer and some people are likely to pick stuff like the KPMG school leavers.
I think you could easily more then halve that.

Also remember that's applicants to places and not applicants to OFFERS. It's Oxbridge so they are likely to make a fair few more offers then places available.
GCSEs:AABBBBBBBC
AS grades (and subjects):Biology C, Chemistry C, Physics C, Maths E, General Studies, E.
Subjects for A2:Biology Chemistry Physics Predicted CCC.
Universities likely to apply to:Aberystwyth, Dundee, University Of Wales Newport, LSBF, Manchester Met.

Good chance? most of those uni's ask for around 280-300 ucas points.
Reply 71
Oh so did bham get back to you the latest?

Yep ive got the course structure for Bham..here goes

First year:
Basic accounting, Analytical techniques and IT, Introduction to Finance and management accounting, Principles of English law, Intro to Economics,Macroeconomics and Financial markets,Business organisation and management and prof skill

Second year:
Taxation, auditing, Business Law, Management accounting, Info systems for accounting, Company accounting and accounting theory, Human resource management, Corporate finance management and marketing principles

Third year:
extended essay, Advanced finance, Advanced financial accounting, adv management accounting, adv accounting theory and policy

:s-smilie: That looks so ****t. Most of it seems to be based of accounting rather then finance.
Reply 72
Original post by Alpha5
whats the perfect profile e.g grades, subjects, GCSE's ec's for both would you say, that would give you a good chance of an offer?

I'd say at least 5 A* at GCSE plus a few As and Bs.
Straight As and 1 B at AS level.
Maths, Business/Economics, Traditional subject and maybe Further maths as a 4th subject?
Lots of work experience and reading of business/financial news to supplement school knowledge.

I'd say the above would gain an offer from either LSE or WBS.
Reply 73
Bham third year optional modules: entrepreneurship, strategic management, Business and bussiness marketing, E-marketing, public sector accounting and so on...sorry cba to put on the rest.....But your right Nottingham uni's course is better if you want an analyst role in the future whilst Bham uni is more directly focused on getting you to go in an accounting based role.

What i want out of this degree is an analyst based job in the financial or investment sector...OR something in operations and risk management...the good thing about this degree is its flexible like economics whilst providing exemptions to fall back on.

However Birmingham University Accounting and finance has just become CISI accredited for those of you who dont know check this out

http://www.cisi.org/bookmark/genericform.aspx?form=29848780&url=index

This improves employability prospects for those who want roles in areas such as stock exchange...its not on bhams website i learnt this on the open day...so bham does have good prospects
Reply 74
Bham third year optional modules: entrepreneurship, strategic management, Business and bussiness marketing, E-marketing, public sector accounting and so on...sorry cba to put on the rest.....But your right Nottingham uni's course is better if you want an analyst role in the future whilst Bham uni is more directly focused on getting you to go in an accounting based role.

What i want out of this degree is an analyst based job in the financial or investment sector...OR something in operations and risk management...the good thing about this degree is its flexible like economics whilst providing exemptions to fall back on.

However Birmingham University Accounting and finance has just become CISI accredited for those of you who dont know check this out

http://www.cisi.org/bookmark/genericform.aspx?form=29848780&url=index

This improves employability prospects for those who want roles in areas such as stock exchange...its not on bhams website i learnt this on the open day...so bham does have good prospects

When it comes to banking(FO), it's more about the prestige of the uni and that's why nottingham is a better choice.
For accounting, Birmingham is perfectly fine.
I'm sure it's fine for risk/operations at banks as well though.
Reply 75
Original post by uxa595
:s-smilie: That looks so ****t. Most of it seems to be based of accounting rather then finance.

I wouldnt worry too much mate...I know people who have done the degree at bham and are now working in management roles for American express, Analyst roles for bloomberg, Tax advisors for Alexander Forbes in London, Financial trading in London...One of mates has even become an actuary from doing A+F at bham....what you got to remeber is bham like nottingham is a red brick russell group university that is highly regarded...I know LSE and Warwick are high up there but the prospects at these uni's are just as good what you have to remeber is when ur applying for jobs in the sorta roles like analyst etc you have to do 2 interview rounds,verbal reasoning and numeracy tests, and an assessment centre where you will be competing with ppl frm LSE warwick manchester etc...As long as your competent and in the employers eyes are able to do the job u'll be fine...I mean my lot went bham uni and got jobs over ppl from CASS and Leeds

P.S you need to be htting a 2:1 every year
Reply 76
Do you think it's a pro or a con that my PS is heavily related to finance rather then accounting?

I mean LSE and Warwick seem to have more quantitative/finance modules anyway.
Reply 77
Have you guys entered your module grades or just overall grades?

Not sure whether to put mine in or not.
Reply 78
GCSEs. A*AAACCC
A-Levels AAC in chem+math+bio
I've also done CFAB as an independent student. Would I stand a chance if I apply to Newcastle for the flying start course???
Reply 79
Original post by mali167
GCSEs. A*AAACCC
A-Levels AAC in chem+math+bio
I've also done CFAB as an independent student. Would I stand a chance if I apply to Newcastle for the flying start course???

Are those completed A2 levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending