The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Iepnauy
I really like the article we've got to study.

I do have a question to ask, if you're given the article. Are you guaranteed to be asked about it? Because now I'm starting to do some interview prep, I'm starting to think that out of the 20 minutes, quite a bit of time may be spent talking about the article!

Also, how many questions do you reckon will be asked? According to the ISC interview book, each question should take you 1.5-3 mins each to answer? That's 20-ish questions at most! And the book has 150+ questions that I need to prepare for :redface:

At my interview, they spent the first half on the article and then the second half on the personal statement and the typical questions you would expect. So make sure you know ur personal statement inside out. The number of questions depends on if something in your personal statement interests them as they ask three or four questions around that. You will be fine as long as you ready through ur personal statement and prospectus and remember barts has the nicest interviewers :biggrin:
Lol, I got negged for bashing the UCAS tarrif system without anybody actually commenting on it.
Reply 1582
Original post by dan1993
At my interview, they spent the first half on the article and then the second half on the personal statement and the typical questions you would expect. So make sure you know ur personal statement inside out. The number of questions depends on if something in your personal statement interests them as they ask three or four questions around that. You will be fine as long as you ready through ur personal statement and prospectus and remember barts has the nicest interviewers :biggrin:

Ahh cool. I'm making my interview prep cards using my PS :wink:. First time I'm re-reading my PS since I sent off my UCAS :biggrin:. Didn't realise it was so bad.

Another quick question, are the interviews likely to try and pick holes in your personal statement, or are they more asking you to elaborate on some things in your PS?
Original post by marijuana
Thanks! i hope i do aswell :biggrin:

wow.... 710, thats amazing. I've got 570 so i guess it'll be a while until i hear from them

Thank you :smile: Having 110 points in music qualifications is an advantage, though. I feel very lucky that music is my thing, to be honest! :L
You never know; I think they get through interviews fairly quickly, and 570 is still a very good total :smile:
Reply 1584
I'm a bit confused, as to what exactly makes up the UCAS points. Can someone help out?
Reply 1585
Original post by Iepnauy
Ahh cool. I'm making my interview prep cards using my PS :wink:. First time I'm re-reading my PS since I sent off my UCAS :biggrin:. Didn't realise it was so bad.

Another quick question, are the interviews likely to try and pick holes in your personal statement, or are they more asking you to elaborate on some things in your PS?

Just remember they might ask generic questions like "Why Barts?" so don't forget about that. And they won't pick holes in it unless you have no work experience or if they think your lying about something
Original post by jamieyea

This selection for interview process is so corrupt - there's a difference between being predicted 5A*s and actually getting them. If you get an interview and you've been predicted A*A*A*A*A* i think your offer should be your predictions to be honest.

Intelligence - or 'predicted' grades - does not make a good doctor.

Barts said nothing about this method of selection at their open day... so ****** off

Yeah I don't think it's very fair, some school push up predicted grades regardless of whether they can get them... I'm only a few UMS away from being predicted an A* in biology, but my school's understandably strict policies mean I have an A predicted instead, and therefore 20 less UCAS points.
OH MY! All of you seem to have like 650+ points
I only have 500 :'( (A*AAA)
Original post by bssjonny

"Only". Oh TSR :rolleyes: :wink:
Original post by Democracy
"Only". Oh TSR :rolleyes: :wink:

if it makes you feel any better I only have 580... no music quals but did manage to pick up points on AS quals and EPQ! I keep kicking myself - if I had done what mt school had suggested and taken 4 A2s I would have had 720, and perhaps an interview!!!:colondollar:

TSR polls and UCAS scores etc are scary for the average med applicant... :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mish Bish
if it makes you feel any better I only have 580... no music quals but did manage to pick up points on AS quals and EPQ! I keep kicking myself - if I had done what mt school had suggested and taken 4 A2s I would have had 810, and perhaps an interview!!!:colondollar:

TSR polls and UCAS scores etc are scary for the average med applicant... :frown:

Hang on, you're saying if you did 4 A2's instead of your (assumed) current 3, you would have gained 230 points? Something's not right.

I'm doing the EPQ too, but our school doesn't predict grades for it so I get no credit for it.
Original post by Mish Bish
if it makes you feel any better I only have 580... no music quals but did manage to pick up points on AS quals and EPQ! I keep kicking myself - if I had done what mt school had suggested and taken 4 A2s I would have had 810, and perhaps an interview!!!:colondollar:

It doesn't make me feel better :wink: Mainly because I'm a graduate and A*s weren't around "in my day"...tbh I think if I added up all my UCAS points I'd have 390?

But even then I know that 500 UCAS points is amazing and definitely not something to be upset over. I also know that 580 definitely doesn't need to be prefixed by "only" :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
This selection for interview process is so corrupt - there's a difference between being predicted 5A*s and actually getting them. If you get an interview and you've been predicted A*A*A*A*A* i think your offer should be your predictions to be honest.

Intelligence - or 'predicted' grades - does not make a good doctor.

Barts said nothing about this method of selection at their open day... so ****** off

This is very true. A person can simply show their teachers the entrance requirements for Barts and ask them to predict them an A* even though their an A grade candidate because the offer would be AAA. A teacher naturally wants their students to get into university so its likely that they will do it.
Original post by MuffinMonster
Yeah I don't think it's very fair, some school push up predicted grades regardless of whether they can get them... I'm only a few UMS away from being predicted an A* in biology, but my school's understandably strict policies mean I have an A predicted instead, and therefore 20 less UCAS points.

not just you mate. I got 269/300, was 1 ums off an A star and wasnt predicted even tho i had been getting A* throughout. So ended up with 3A* and A guess thats not too bad :P

nah trust me the majority of applicants didnt get predicted 4A*, they're just trying to ward off people. :P

Yea don't worry about it if it makes you feel any better i have 590 points. I really think that the majority of the applicants have less than 650+
When I applied I had 420 :tongue:
Reply 1597
Original post by marijuana
I've got 570 so i guess it'll be a while until i hear from them

I've got 570 too. I hope we don't have to wait that long for a reply :s-smilie:
Reply 1598
Original post by Floramb
I've got 570 too. I hope we don't have to wait that long for a reply :s-smilie:

The next round of interviews are in the new years

Edit:
They lied to me...ignore that
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Normandy114
Hang on, you're saying if you did 4 A2's instead of your (assumed) current 3, you would have gained 230 points? Something's not right.

I'm doing the EPQ too, but our school doesn't predict grades for it so I get no credit for it.

oops sorry I meant an extra 140 for the dropped A2 - yes I added the wrong bits - was also kicking myself for not learning the violin! Cant believe your school dont predict grades for EPQ - hope its mentioned in your PS so hopefully taken into account somewhere! Good luck... from the threads it looks like we wont hear until next year anyway :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending