The Student Room Group

Grades being challenged

The results I recieved on thursday were significantly lower than I expected, my college also noticed this and they told my my grades were "being challenged" with the exam board - I'm not quite sure what that involves, but I don't think the grades printed were correct and the vice principal of my college agreed.

My firm choice updated track stating I had been unsuccessful, if - over the next week - it is discovered that my results were incorrect would they still accept me if I met the conditons of my offer? I'm kind of worried that my place has been given away in clearing.
Reply 1
Original post by smith34
The results I recieved on thursday were significantly lower than I expected, my college also noticed this and they told my my grades were "being challenged" with the exam board - I'm not quite sure what that involves, but I don't think the grades printed were correct and the vice principal of my college agreed.

My firm choice updated track stating I had been unsuccessful, if - over the next week - it is discovered that my results were incorrect would they still accept me if I met the conditons of my offer? I'm kind of worried that my place has been given away in clearing.

I assume you have contacted the Uni to discuss what is going on?
Original post by smith34

Things like this really get into the nitty gritty of the binding contract between the university, UCAS and yourself, however I think that if your results are confirmed by the exam board by August 31st, then you have your place at university regardless. Presuming you meet the conditions of your firm, of course.

They have to take you if you meet the grades by that date, I'm positive.
Well its hard to say! Maybe you should call up the University and inquire the same question.
Original post by smith34

Before your exams, some exam boards require your teachers to give the predicted grades for that exam, so if you do lower than expected, like really low, the exam boards should pull out your paper and remark it to check they have marked it correctly, transferred the marks over correctly e.t.c.

I'm surprised that if they were significantly lower than expected, then why were they not pulled out and remarked.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
I assume you have contacted the Uni to discuss what is going on?

I emailed them on the day I got the results, I got no reply, but I'm still trying to phone them. My vice principal said he would write to them - whether he actually did is another matter.
I only live 6 miles away from the Uni, I think I might take a trip up there and let them know.

Original post by yahyahyahs
Before your exams, some exam boards require your teachers to give the predicted grades for that exam, so if you do lower than expected, like really low, the exam boards should pull out your paper and remark it to check they have marked it correctly, transferred the marks over correctly e.t.c.

I'm surprised that if they were significantly lower than expected, then why were they not pulled out and remarked.

A few major things I didn't mention is I did an Edexcel Diploma (not BTEC), not A-levels. All my work has was marked by staff at my college and the predicted results I was provisionally given was all based on marked work - so the low results I got cannot be correct because there's many areas where I know I recieved distinction. Edexcel have told me due to the nature of my qualification, it is not possible to have this type of work remarked by them, I would need to consult my previous lecturers/tutor for this; all of which were made redundant a few weeks ago in department cuts. So, having my work remarked would not be a possibility at this point.

I know my grades are wrong, and so the college, but there is very little that can be done about it.

Original post by ilickbatteries
Things like this really get into the nitty gritty of the binding contract between the university, UCAS and yourself, however I think that if your results are confirmed by the exam board by August 31st, then you have your place at university regardless. Presuming you meet the conditions of your firm, of course.

They have to take you if you meet the grades by that date, I'm positive.

I see, I wasn't aware of that. I will assume (and hope) that any changes to my grades between now and then will be confirmed with the Uni.
I'm worrying less after reading this :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending