The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Deepshiii
Cambridge and UCL. I don't really expect Cambridge to respond but I gave it a shot anyway. :P
I did the June exams and did not get 3 A*s so..
And where else did you apply to?

So are you a reapplicant as well? Sounds like good choices; though having three universities wanting the BMAT is very risky! Although if you feel that you can do well in the BMAT then it's probably a good thing. I've applied to Bristol, Cambridge, Imperial and Leeds.

Original post by ninjaturtle
can i ask how the 400 q is in comparison to the real thing? they have even got youngs light finge experiments and hookes law which is clearly AS level physics. Im wondering whether I should be doing AS physics revision. Also if anyone does have the book can you explain 2.90 on page 146. How is it B because air has a lower refractive index than glass and clearly the refracted ray bends away from the normal just as its supposed to so how is it wrong? also i dont understand A. Is it when the light ray is going straight through the middle?

I just bought that book yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't reached page 146, but I can tell you, having done the BMAT exam last year, that the questions all seem quite relevant. For the science questions, they technically are only meant to ask you GCSE questions but this is not always the case; there may very well be the odd A-Level knowledge question. I did not do physics for A-Level or even AS-Level so I'm very nervous about the science section. I haven't got a clue what Hookes law even is!
Original post by noobie93
So are you a reapplicant as well? Sounds like good choices; though having three universities wanting the BMAT is very risky! Although if you feel that you can do well in the BMAT then it's probably a good thing. I've applied to Bristol, Cambridge, Imperial and Leeds.

I just bought that book yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't reached page 146, but I can tell you, having done the BMAT exam last year, that the questions all seem quite relevant. For the science questions, they technically are only meant to ask you GCSE questions but this is not always the case; there may very well be the odd A-Level knowledge question. I did not do physics for A-Level or even AS-Level so I'm very nervous about the science section. I haven't got a clue what Hookes law even is!

So do you think I'm making a mistake by NOT using the 400q book, and only using the kaplan bmat book?
Reply 282
Original post by ViceVersa
So do you think I'm making a mistake by NOT using the 400q book, and only using the kaplan bmat book?

Not at all; the Kaplan material for BMAT is excellent also. If you were wanting extra practise, however, I would recommend getting the 400q book. What I particularly like about it is that it covers many different types of questions simultaneously regarding a particular topic.
Not at all; the Kaplan material for BMAT is excellent also. If you were wanting extra practise, however, I would recommend getting the 400q book. What I particularly like about it is that it covers many different types of questions simultaneously regarding a particular topic.

There's only a few days left to the BMAT though, and I haven't even finished the Kaplan book let alone the practise questions on the website..
Reply 284
There's only a few days left to the BMAT though, and I haven't even finished the Kaplan book let alone the practise questions on the website..

Honestly, neither have I! In that case just stick to your Kaplan book & the past papers; they're still plenty of material to work with. I've done half of the main Kaplan strategy book, one past paper set from the website (incidentally, the exam that I sat last year - 2010) and now I've started the 400 book. I don't think I'll finish by any means but it's a start... is Imperial the only BMAT uni you're applying to?
Honestly, neither have I! In that case just stick to your Kaplan book & the past papers; they're still plenty of material to work with. I've done half of the main Kaplan strategy book, one past paper set from the website (incidentally, the exam that I sat last year - 2010) and now I've started the 400 book. I don't think I'll finish by any means but it's a start... is Imperial the only BMAT uni you're applying to?

I think I rather finish one book than finish both by half to be honest :s-smilie: and yepp yourself?
Reply 286
I think I rather finish one book than finish both by half to be honest :s-smilie: and yepp yourself?

Probably the best thing to do... and no I'm applying to two BMAT universities: Imperial and Cambridge :/ therefore if I do rubbishly in this things won't be looking great for me!
Probably the best thing to do... and no I'm applying to two BMAT universities: Imperial and Cambridge :/ therefore if I do rubbishly in this things won't be looking great for me!

How did you do in it last year lol?
Reply 288
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
What do you mean? as in books for BMAT? For interview? Or just for general?

I mean in general haha
Original post by Nator
I mean in general haha

oh na bro, too busy with this bmat for now

then im gonna relax for a week and slowly revise for jan exams while chilling, haha

what about you?
Reply 290
How did you do in it last year lol?

Not brilliantly to be honest; I'd underestimated the exam and didn't do as much preparation as I should have. I managed to get 4.4 in section one (rather disappointing), 5.2 in section 2 and 3.5A in section 3. My last section was alright and section two was above average but I need to work on section one if I want to do well this time round!
Not brilliantly to be honest; I'd underestimated the exam and didn't do as much preparation as I should have. I managed to get 4.4 in section one (rather disappointing), 5.2 in section 2 and 3.5A in section 3. My last section was alright and section two was above average but I need to work on section one if I want to do well this time round!

That's REALLY good! How did you revise last year because that's good. Which BMAT did you apply to last year?
Reply 292
That's REALLY good! How did you revise last year because that's good. Which BMAT did you apply to last year?

Thank you, but had I applied to Imperial last year my section 1 would not have met the cut-off point. I applied to Cambridge last year as well and got an interview but was unfortunately rejected. My feedback said that it was because of my BMAT being rather low so I hope I have better luck this time. Which are your other unis?
Reply 293
Sorry just realised the latter part of your reply. My revision last was pretty much doing two past paper sets from the website. I wasn't too aware of the format of the exam last time round, so knowing that (as mentioned in the Kaplan book) will give you a great advantage.
Sorry just realised the latter part of your reply. My revision last was pretty much doing two past paper sets from the website. I wasn't too aware of the format of the exam last time round, so knowing that (as mentioned in the Kaplan book) will give you a great advantage.

It nearly would have, but good thing you didn't gamble it :tongue: and everything's in my sig :smile:. What were yours last year and this year, and all you other stuff like ukcat and stuff?
Reply 295
It nearly would have, but good thing you didn't gamble it :tongue: and everything's in my sig :smile:. What were yours last year and this year, and all you other stuff like ukcat and stuff?

I don't know if it's just me but I can't see anything in your sig :P Last year I applied to: Birmingham (interview), Cambridge (interview), Nottingham and Sheffield (the latter two gave me straight rejections).

This year I've appplied to: Bristol, Cambridge, Leeds and Imperial College. My UKCAT is rather shameful really; I did a bit worse than last year, with 615 :/

My GCSEs are 10 A*s and I got A*AAA at A-Level. What about you?
I don't know if it's just me but I can't see anything in your sig :P Last year I applied to: Birmingham (interview), Cambridge (interview), Nottingham and Sheffield (the latter two gave me straight rejections).

This year I've appplied to: Bristol, Cambridge, Leeds and Imperial College. My UKCAT is rather shameful really; I did a bit worse than last year, with 615 :/

My GCSEs are 10 A*s and I got A*AAA at A-Level. What about you?

I think you're playing more to your strengths this year than you were the last. And you cant see anything? That's weird, people normally do when I refer to my sig :tongue: Ahh well! here's what it says:

UCAS 2012
MEDICINE - A100
APPLICATION SENT ON: 12/10/2011

CHOICES:
Imperial - Acknowledged 26/10/2011
HYMS - Acknowledged 25/10/2011
Barts and The London - Acknowledged 13/10/2011
Keele - Acknowledged 27/10/2011
Nottingham (C700) - Acknowledged 19/10/2011

ACADEMICS AND THE REST:
GCSE: 5A*'s 5A's 3B's
AS: AAAAB (Bio, Chem, Maths, Psych, Citizenship)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A and A* in EPQ
UCAS POINTS: 650
UKCAT: 670
BMAT: Pending

You've got a much better chance than me to be honest :\
Reply 297
I think you're playing more to your strengths this year than you were the last. And you cant see anything? That's weird, people normally do when I refer to my sig :tongue: Ahh well! here's what it says:

UCAS 2012
MEDICINE - A100
APPLICATION SENT ON: 12/10/2011

CHOICES:
Imperial - Acknowledged 26/10/2011
HYMS - Acknowledged 25/10/2011
Barts and The London - Acknowledged 13/10/2011
Keele - Acknowledged 27/10/2011
Nottingham (C700) - Acknowledged 19/10/2011

ACADEMICS AND THE REST:
GCSE: 5A*'s 5A's 3B's
AS: AAAAB (Bio, Chem, Maths, Psych, Citizenship)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A and A* in EPQ
UCAS POINTS: 650
UKCAT: 670
BMAT: Pending

You've got a much better chance than me to be honest :\

I certainly hope so! No I can't; however now that you mentioned your stats I do recall reading them in a sig previously. I don't know why I can't see it now :s-smilie:
Nah you have a really good profile; I'm sure you'll get in to at least one of your choices! :smile:
I certainly hope so! No I can't; however now that you mentioned your stats I do recall reading them in a sig previously. I don't know why I can't see it now :s-smilie:
Nah you have a really good profile; I'm sure you'll get in to at least one of your choices! :smile:

I really hope you're right...*sighs*
Reply 299

I know but I didn't want to do the UKCAT exams. I am currently sitting for my CIE exams. I'm not a reapplicant but I did the June exams before completing the syllabus at school as a private candidate.
By the way, Hooke's law states that the force applied to a load is proportional to it's extension provided that the limit of proportionality has not been exceeded.
Basically F= ke , where k is a constant you can find.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending