The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

How competitive is Manchester?

GCSE Grades- 5 A*s( English Literature,Sociology,Religious Studies, ICT,Dance Drama) 2 A's (History, English Language), 3 B's (Maths, Double Science)

AS Results- History- A
Government and Politics -A
Sociology- A
English Lit- A
A2 Subjects- History, English Lit, Politics

UCAS 2012- LAW
looking at Cambridge,Reading,Nottingham,LSE?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by jazzyforever
How competitive is Manchester?

GCSE Grades- 5 A*s( English Literature,Sociology,Religious Studies, ICT,Dance Drama) 2 A's (History, English Language), 3 B's (Maths, Double Science)

AS Results- History- A
Government and Politics -A
Sociology- A
English Lit- A
A2 Subjects- History, English Lit, Politics

UCAS 2012- LAW
looking at Cambridge,Reading,Nottingham,LSE?

relatively competitive but you should be fine with these :smile:
Is it true, that a large proportion of the students are international?
Reply 4
Original post by jazzyforever
Is it true, that a large proportion of the students are international?

We have the largest number of international students in Manchester, yes, but also the largest number of students in the UK. The % of international is high, but still lowe compared with home students
Reply 5
Original post by wannabeme
relatively competitive but you should be fine with these :smile:

What are my chances?
AS results:
German - B (75%) but resitting written exam
English Language - B (74%) resitting exam as i only got a high C, A in coursework!
Economics - D (57%) resitting modules to pull it up to at least a C

My predicted will be BBC, maybe ABC (A in German)
Im applying for German and the entry requirements are BBC

GCSEs:
4 As (English Language, German, Maths, Additional Science)
4 Bs (English Lit, Business Studies, Core Science, Art)
2 Cs (Physical Education, Religious Studies)

Reply please :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by JakeE10
What are my chances?
AS results:
German - B (75%) but resitting written exam
English Language - B (74%) resitting exam as i only got a high C, A in coursework!
Economics - D (57%) resitting modules to pull it up to at least a C

My predicted will be BBC, maybe ABC (A in German)
Im applying for German and the entry requirements are BBC

GCSEs:
4 As (English Language, German, Maths, Additional Science)
4 Bs (English Lit, Business Studies, Core Science, Art)
2 Cs (Physical Education, Religious Studies)

Reply please :biggrin:

Slightly worried about the GCSEs, but if you can get the ABC prediction you should be fine, particularly if you can pull up the English Lang. and the Economics with the bits you are resitting. Overall you should be fine, but maybe apply to a couple with lower requirements as well to be on the safe side :smile:
Reply 7
Slightly worried about the GCSEs, but if you can get the ABC prediction you should be fine, particularly if you can pull up the English Lang. and the Economics with the bits you are resitting. Overall you should be fine, but maybe apply to a couple with lower requirements as well to be on the safe side :smile:

Are my GCSEs not good enough? I heard that all they look for is 6/7 A*-C and that you have English Language and Maths to grade B?
Yeah I'm applying to Leeds (depending on what my predicted grades are, if they're ABC then yes) Manchester, Bristol and 2 other universities which aren't russel group, less prestigious and lower entry requirements as back up! :biggrin: I can only try eh! :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by JakeE10
Are my GCSEs not good enough? I heard that all they look for is 6/7 A*-C and that you have English Language and Maths to grade B?
Yeah I'm applying to Leeds (depending on what my predicted grades are, if they're ABC then yes) Manchester, Bristol and 2 other universities which aren't russel group, less prestigious and lower entry requirements as back up! :biggrin: I can only try eh! :rolleyes:

Oh yes definitely go for it! even if you had all A*s at GCSE I would still say go for a lower one too as a safety net. Your GCSEs are fine and do meet the requirements, its just that you might be up against people with quite a few A*s, but at the end of the day it would only come down to GCSEs if they were completely stuck between you ad another candidate with all the same A-levels so its pretty unlikely. You'll be fine, just concentrate on the A-levels and the GCSEs wont matter at all. :smile:
Reply 9
Oh yes definitely go for it! even if you had all A*s at GCSE I would still say go for a lower one too as a safety net. Your GCSEs are fine and do meet the requirements, its just that you might be up against people with quite a few A*s, but at the end of the day it would only come down to GCSEs if they were completely stuck between you ad another candidate with all the same A-levels so its pretty unlikely. You'll be fine, just concentrate on the A-levels and the GCSEs wont matter at all. :smile:

Ah right ok, Yes i think i should! They're the ones that set the entry requirements so they obviously welcome applicants with BBC! :biggrin: If you don't try you don't get :tongue: plus if I try and fail at Leeds, Manc, Bristol i'll always have my two other choices to fall back on! :smile:
Reply 10
Manchester is my first choice for 2012, I'm applying for History & American Studies, entry requirements AAB.

AS Results - History A, English Lit & Lang B, Sociology B & Psychology B.

Manchester seems pretty awesome, cannot wait..
Reply 11
Biology applicant here :smile:

GCSE's: 10A* and 1A (english lang, english lit, chem,phys,bio,geo,hist,french,spanish,italian - the A was in Math XD, mistakes happen...)

predicted: not sure but should be gd
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
international student applying for Chemical engineering :smile:

AS level: A in english literature, chemistry and maths and B in physics which I'm retaking.

I think the requirements are AAA which includes chem and maths... hopefully I'll get an A in physics this year...
unless you're doing law or medicine, which requires at least 5 A's. Dont worry too much about GCSE's! I got A*ABBBCCCCC and still got in :smile:
Wanting to apply for Middle Eastern Languages (Hebrew & Persian) although as you can see from my sig all 5 of my choices are at Manchester.

Hopefully get to re-sit one of my Politics modules and one of my Law modules as I came out with BCCC at As-level and was so close to BBBC (literally a few marks out!)

Good Luck everyone!
Reply 15
Original post by Charlottie93
Wanting to apply for Middle Eastern Languages (Hebrew & Persian) although as you can see from my sig all 5 of my choices are at Manchester.

Hopefully get to re-sit one of my Politics modules and one of my Law modules as I came out with BCCC at As-level and was so close to BBBC (literally a few marks out!)

Good Luck everyone!

I'm applying for languages too!! i came out with BBDD at AS Level but literally 3 marks off BBC (in the subjects im carrying on with) Applying for german btw! :smile:

Good luck!!! :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
I'm applying for languages too!! i came out with BBDD at AS Level but literally 3 marks off BBC (in the subjects im carrying on with) Applying for german btw! :smile:

Good luck!!! :biggrin:

Yeay! Another language student, good luck to you too.

I keep rewriting my personal statement over and over again but Manchester is really the only university I want to go to! :\ it looks like the best for the courses I want to do.
Reply 17
Yeay! Another language student, good luck to you too.

I keep rewriting my personal statement over and over again but Manchester is really the only university I want to go to! :\ it looks like the best for the courses I want to do.

Yeah me too! I'm from manchester and don't really wanna move away. i love manchester! :smile:

Is manchester the only uni you're applying to?
I don't really understand the entry requirements for languages at manchester because there's a max/min boundary :s like for german it says ''ABB-BBC'' do you know why this is?

Original post by JakeE10
Yeah me too! I'm from manchester and don't really wanna move away. i love manchester! :smile:

Is manchester the only uni you're applying to?
I don't really understand the entry requirements for languages at manchester because there's a max/min boundary :s like for german it says ''ABB-BBC'' do you know why this is?

Yea well they do 3 courses that I'm really interested in (all the ones to do with the Middle East) and the one that I really really want to do is at Manchester (Middle Eastern Languages as you get to do two languages and have the year abroad), I don't understand the maximum and minimum entry requirements either.

The ones for my courses are all ABB- BBC apart from in two of the subjects (Modern Middle Eastern History and Study of Religions) they're the two that I'm not so sure about. As the courses look great but I don't know whether or not to apply to SOAS for Hebrew and Israeli Studies as well as one for Persian.
Reply 19
Yea well they do 3 courses that I'm really interested in (all the ones to do with the Middle East) and the one that I really really want to do is at Manchester (Middle Eastern Languages as you get to do two languages and have the year abroad), I don't understand the maximum and minimum entry requirements either.

The ones for my courses are all ABB- BBC apart from in two of the subjects (Modern Middle Eastern History and Study of Religions) they're the two that I'm not so sure about. As the courses look great but I don't know whether or not to apply to SOAS for Hebrew and Israeli Studies as well as one for Persian.

cool! :biggrin: I don't know exactly where im applying to yet either! the three that I know are in my sig :smile: Good luck!!!! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending