Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have an interview tomorrow>?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 381
Original post by Hackett
nice one of the offer! I'm applying for the same course, what were ur GCSEs and A - Level predictions? Thanks

I live in the Netherlands so I'm not doing A-levels. But I got predicted equivalent to AAA. Good luck with your application :wink:
Reply 382
Original post by funghi-lover
I had to go for an interview for the Faculty of Life Sciences at Manchester and the interview is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you can explain why you want to do zoology and why at manchester. The number of people who don't get an offer after interview is really low.

how did the interview go? what kind of questions asked?
I've got one on the 30th for biomedical science and i'm so nervous!:colondollar:
Reply 383
I have been made an offer to study Geology Bsc!
At AS i achieved A in Geology and English Language, B in Biology and Geography.
I study A2 Biology, Geology and Geography and predicted AAB, I began AS chemistry also in which I am predicted a B. I heard back after 11 days of sending my application!! good luck anyone applying for Geology!
Reply 384
Eeeeeee just got an offer for Middle Eastern Languages (Arabic and Persian) :smile: Offer is ABB :biggrin: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Reply 385
Just got an offer from Manchester!! ABB for European Studies & German :biggrin:
Does anyone know if/when they do visit days for the departments? I couldn't go to the open day so I was sort of hoping I'd get an interview rather than an offer straight away, just so I could look around! My parents keep telling me Manchester is horrible but I really like the course...
Just got an offer! AAB including Maths and Economics for PPE :biggrin:
I have an interview at Manchester in December, what happens if I choose not to go?
Original post by Inactivity
I have an interview at Manchester in December, what happens if I choose not to go?

Depends on the department, but most likely just reject you. They'll have loads of people applying to the course to decide whether or not they deserve an offer, folk not coming to interview just makes their job easier.
Original post by Rainshine
Just got an offer from Manchester!! ABB for European Studies & German :biggrin:
Does anyone know if/when they do visit days for the departments? I couldn't go to the open day so I was sort of hoping I'd get an interview rather than an offer straight away, just so I could look around! My parents keep telling me Manchester is horrible but I really like the course...

Yes, Manchester arranges visit days from December to about March-time. I got my offer this time last year and then had my applicant day during February.

Manchester is not horrible! What makes your parents say that?!

Original post by Inactivity

Well if you simply can't make that day, they can rearrange it to another date or do it over Skype. However, if you just don't want to do the interview then they'll reject you.
Reply 390
Original post by ellakrystina
Hi everyone,

Last year I found The Student Room really useful for helping me make decisions about university but I just wish that there were more people to tell me what Manchester was really like. If anyone wants any help with applying, finding out what Manchester's like, my day to day student routine etc then please ask away!

I'm a first year BA Criminology student and I live in Oak House, Fallowfield. I can tell people a lot about the School of Law and its societies, along with a couple of sports and general interest societies. Part-time jobs are super easy to come by here (I got mine within the first week!), shopping is awesome and ah, I just love everything about my course and Manchester as a city and university. I really couldn't recommend it enough!

If anyone wants any specific information or photos of Oak House residences then please ask away. It may be best to ask publicly on here so that others can benefit from your questions :smile:

Good luck to everyone applying! :biggrin:

p.s. I also have flatmates studying Italian and Spanish, Turkish and Arabic, Maths and Finance, Business and Accounting, Business and Economics and Philosophy, so I can ask about for further information :smile:

What's the accomodation like? I've heard generally negative things, but I absolutely LOVED the uni and city when I visited. I've applied for the undergraduate masters for Neuroscience but haven't heard back yet :/
Original post by braiiins
What's the accomodation like? I've heard generally negative things, but I absolutely LOVED the uni and city when I visited. I've applied for the undergraduate masters for Neuroscience but haven't heard back yet :/

I think the accommodation is very good. There are three accommodation campuses:

City: literally surrounding the university buildings and a few in the science area.
Victoria Park: Just off the curry mile (rusholme) in a leafy, pretty area. You can walk to uni in about 10-15 minutes
Fallowfield: big student community, bars, restaurants, lots of curry/kebab places and 5-15 minutes to uni on the bus (depending on traffic)

I live in Fallowfield in Oak House (Sycamore Court). Mine is the cheapest out of all university accommodation (£82) and it's self catered, shared bathroom (I share a shower-bath, two sinks and toilet with three other girls, there are eight people in the flat). Apparently mine is the worst accommodation with the smallest room, but I really like it:

Spoiler

Everyone online seems to say how awful the green walls are but you get used to them.
Reply 392

City: literally surrounding the university buildings and a few in the science area.
Victoria Park: Just off the curry mile (rusholme) in a leafy, pretty area. You can walk to uni in about 10-15 minutes
Fallowfield: big student community, bars, restaurants, lots of curry/kebab places and 5-15 minutes to uni on the bus (depending on traffic)

I live in Fallowfield in Oak House (Sycamore Court). Mine is the cheapest out of all university accommodation (£82) and it's self catered, shared bathroom (I share a shower-bath, two sinks and toilet with three other girls, there are eight people in the flat). Apparently mine is the worst accommodation with the smallest room, but I really like it:

Spoiler

Everyone online seems to say how awful the green walls are but you get used to them.

Haha the guy laying the table!

The room does look a tad small, but the kitchen looks bloody huge! I'm looking at Oak House for accommodation next year, thinking about Richmond as well I think!

Spoiler

What's with all the post it notes? :eek:
Original post by rural_boy
Haha the guy laying the table!

The room does look a tad small, but the kitchen looks bloody huge! I'm looking at Oak House for accommodation next year, thinking about Richmond as well I think!

I'm sure it looks smaller in the picture than it actually is.... You pay about £30 extra at Richmond each week for an ensuite so think about whether you really need it! Depending on how much loan you get, you may not have much left over after the accommodation payment. Just think about how much money you need to live off.

Original post by fretter778
What's with all the post it notes? :eek:

They're little banterous insults that my drunk flatmates stuck on everyone's cupboards. I got stick for being a vegetarian and for having a boyfriend with a ponytail :rolleyes:
Reply 395

Spoiler

The photos are amazing xD You never quite know what you're going to get from pictures on uni websites. I always kinda expect that they're not going to look like that at all irl.

I love your room. I don't think I'd mind the size.

How far is it to walk to the uni from Fallowfield?
Original post by _Jazzie
The photos are amazing xD You never quite know what you're going to get from pictures on uni websites. I always kinda expect that they're not going to look like that at all irl.

Thank you! The accommodation website doesn't have anything on Oak House rooms - just a computerised picture of the outside of the building. I may do some pictures of the bathrooms, although they're pretty grim.

I think my room's really cosy! I went home a few weekends ago and my room felt huge and empty, I didn't like it. The smallest room you will come across is the size of mine - my flatmate's room is huge and no one knows why... she has almost a a whole room extra in floor space!

I haven't tried walking from uni to Fallowfield. I'd say it'd take about 30-35 mins at a brisk pace. Lots of people bike and that takes about 5-10 minutes, but most get the bus. My bus pass was £185 sept '11 -sept '12, or you can buy it weekly for either £7 (just magic bus) or £8 (magic bus and stagecoach).
Original post by _Jazzie

I've managed to walk from the city campus back to Fallowfield in just under 20 minutes, but that was blasting past everyone in a rush :tongue: 25-30 is average walking pace. (I live in Sheavyn House by the way)
Reply 398
I'm sure it looks smaller in the picture than it actually is.... You pay about £30 extra at Richmond each week for an ensuite so think about whether you really need it! Depending on how much loan you get, you may not have much left over after the accommodation payment. Just think about how much money you need to live off.

They're little banterous insults that my drunk flatmates stuck on everyone's cupboards. I got stick for being a vegetarian and for having a boyfriend with a ponytail :rolleyes:

Christ you pay £30 a more for an en suite at Richmond? That's the one I was looking at! Guess I need to weigh up the costs and the advantages, it's just sharing a bathroom with other students scares me slightly!
Original post by rural_boy
Christ you pay £30 a more for an en suite at Richmond? That's the one I was looking at! Guess I need to weigh up the costs and the advantages, it's just sharing a bathroom with other students scares me slightly!

Well Oak House is good as you're only sharing with three other people (same sex). I have never fought with the girls over the shower and I'm pretty sure none of the boys have in their bathroom either. Our flat gets cleaned every one and a half-two weeks so even if you don't bring your own cleaning stuff then it'll never get too dirty. Oak House even supplies you with toilet roll! :eek:

Oak House is quite unique in its layout. Other shared bathroom halls like Owens Park tend to be single sex and shared between 13, ew.

Latest

Trending

Trending