The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah1345
Of course, everyones heard of ealing :smile:, West London right. Can't wait for Manchester, got my results yesterday and got AAAB, leaving me on AAA overall, needing to get ABB, with 3 exams left. :biggrin:

Yeah west London :biggrin: really? Maybe in Putney cuz you're close-ish :smile:

Wooo well done! I didn't do jan modules, only 4 in summer :smile: what are you applying for? & what A-levels do you take?
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 981
Original post by Gabriella94
me too!! :biggrin: I've not visited yet either but I used to live there so kind of basing it on that... are you going on the 21st to the open day? :smile:

Oh sorry I didn't see your post! I'm so excited definitely firming Manchester but I have never been to the university before.

Yes I will be there seeing the accommodation in the morning too. I might meet you then!! Are you still at college? Or is this your second degree?

Woo :smile: x
Original post by goussberry
Yeah west London :biggrin: really? Maybe in Putney cuz you're close-ish :smile:

Wooo well done! I didn't do jan modules, only 4 in summer :smile: what are you applying for? & what A-levels do you take?

Yeah, I chill round Ealing sometimes. Erm Modern History with Economics, got an ABB offer, and I study History, Economics and Geography :smile: Wbu? x
Yeah, I chill round Ealing sometimes. Erm Modern History with Economics, got an ABB offer, and I study History, Economics and Geography :smile: Wbu? x

Ealing's boring as f***, cannot waiiit to get to uni and actually live life :smile:. Oh wow that' sounds so interesting!

Yeah I'm applying for English Language, got an offer for AAB and I take English Language, Psychology and History A-level :smile:. I'm only waiting on Leeds' reply before I officially firm Manchester (as I'm sure I'll be rejected from Leeds, and I really like Manc)!

Do you know what date teaching starts? (For Manc)- wanna start counting down the days! hahah
can't wait to live the Manchester dream! 190 days to go :> who here has applied for Maths at Manc? Or applied for Richmond Park, Sheavyn house and Oak house for accomodation :biggrin:
Ealing's boring as f***, cannot waiiit to get to uni and actually live life :smile:. Oh wow that' sounds so interesting!

Yeah I'm applying for English Language, got an offer for AAB and I take English Language, Psychology and History A-level :smile:. I'm only waiting on Leeds' reply before I officially firm Manchester (as I'm sure I'll be rejected from Leeds, and I really like Manc)!

Do you know what date teaching starts? (For Manc)- wanna start counting down the days! hahah

Haha, 17th September 2012. Fairly early when compared to most universities, but I guess it means we finish earlier/longer Christmas break. English Language, corr, I did Lit to AS and got a C, I found it so boring, I think English is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it :smile: But I'm sure you do love it! Well done on getting an offer, English is notoriously competitive, probably up there just behind Law, Medicine and VetSci.

Are you fairly certain grades wise? Summer is going to be so stressful!
ealing's boring as f***, cannot waiiit to get to uni and actually live life :smile:. Oh wow that' sounds so interesting!

Yeah i'm applying for english language, got an offer for aab and i take english language, psychology and history a-level :smile:. I'm only waiting on leeds' reply before i officially firm manchester (as i'm sure i'll be rejected from leeds, and i really like manc)!

Do you know what date teaching starts? (for manc)- wanna start counting down the days! Hahah

190 days!!!
Haha, 17th September 2012. Fairly early when compared to most universities, but I guess it means we finish earlier/longer Christmas break. English Language, corr, I did Lit to AS and got a C, I found it so boring, I think English is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it :smile: But I'm sure you do love it! Well done on getting an offer, English is notoriously competitive, probably up there just behind Law, Medicine and VetSci.

Are you fairly certain grades wise? Summer is going to be so stressful!

Ooof that is painfully early for unis... Hmm. But don't we go 2 weeks early? I heard Manc Freshers' Week is 2 weeks long!

Haha English Lang is a totally different discipline to Lit, it's much more like linguistics and less analysing of texts, more of grammar, lexis, etc... Sounds dry on paper but it's interesting when applied :smile:. I WIIISH I took English Lit to A-level as well tho! I did well in GCSE and loved it... Oh well, I'm happy with my decision in the end :smile:

English is horribly competitive, with the grades I have I'm lucky to have all my offers (but Leeds) so far... But then again, so is your course! Which other unis did you apply to?

I want to say yeah I am fairly certain grade wise buuuut.... These humanity subejcts are so subjective it's awfully uncertain. Psychology is going well, I'm hoping for an A* rather than an A :smile: History... Dunno, I'm boaderline A/B but got a B in AS, so likely to get a B overall :frown:. And English Lang I'm fairly certain of an A :smile: It will be stressful you're right but hte prospect of going to uni should keep us going :smile:

What about you? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aprilannep
190 days!!!

Hahahah! That's so close yet so far!
Reply 989
For Economics, which uni do you guys think is more respected; Manchester or Southampton?
Reply 990
Got A*A in maths and further maths, all I need now is a B in physics / chemistry to meet my offer :biggrin:
Original post by naomiele

Oh sorry I didn't see your post! I'm so excited definitely firming Manchester but I have never been to the university before.

Yes I will be there seeing the accommodation in the morning too. I might meet you then!! Are you still at college? Or is this your second degree?

Woo :smile: x

Well its either Reading or Manchester for my firm but I think Manchester wins hands down :biggrin: yes I'm definately going to see the accomodation because thats the bit I'm unsure about! I'm still at college doing Psychology, Biology and Lit/Lang and did chemistry AS last year :smile: wbu? and yes maybe see you there!! x
Ooof that is painfully early for unis... Hmm. But don't we go 2 weeks early? I heard Manc Freshers' Week is 2 weeks long!

Haha English Lang is a totally different discipline to Lit, it's much more like linguistics and less analysing of texts, more of grammar, lexis, etc... Sounds dry on paper but it's interesting when applied :smile:. I WIIISH I took English Lit to A-level as well tho! I did well in GCSE and loved it... Oh well, I'm happy with my decision in the end :smile:

English is horribly competitive, with the grades I have I'm lucky to have all my offers (but Leeds) so far... But then again, so is your course! Which other unis did you apply to?

I want to say yeah I am fairly certain grade wise buuuut.... These humanity subejcts are so subjective it's awfully uncertain. Psychology is going well, I'm hoping for an A* rather than an A :smile: History... Dunno, I'm boaderline A/B but got a B in AS, so likely to get a B overall :frown:. And English Lang I'm fairly certain of an A :smile: It will be stressful you're right but hte prospect of going to uni should keep us going :smile:

What about you? :smile:

I applied for straight History at Manchester as well as Newcastle, Cardiff and Bristol (rejected by Brizzle). I'm unsure whether to go for straight History or Modern hist with econ at Manchester for my firm :/ what do you think? I like both econ and history, do you think both would be respected degrees?

I'm on course for AAA, at least that's what modules thus far suggest, albeit they are faily low, need high B's at least to maintain performance. But it would be outstanding to get 3 A's :redface:
I applied for straight History at Manchester as well as Newcastle, Cardiff and Bristol (rejected by Brizzle). I'm unsure whether to go for straight History or Modern hist with econ at Manchester for my firm :/ what do you think? I like both econ and history, do you think both would be respected degrees?

I'm on course for AAA, at least that's what modules thus far suggest, albeit they are faily low, need high B's at least to maintain performance. But it would be outstanding to get 3 A's :redface:

Brizzle have a high rejection rate I hear... Never applied but I've been, and it's quite nice; but Manc is nicer!

I applied to Notts, Cardiff & Sheffield as well... Which is gonna be your back up?

You've got an offer for both? Go for the course you'll enjoy the most, because both are highly respected :smile: that's my opinion anyway :smile:

An A is an A, doesn't matter how high or low it is :smile: If you can keep up that for summer, it'll be fine :smile: I'd be so psyched to get 3 As too, but it's so so hard to get an A when you've got a middling B...
Brizzle have a high rejection rate I hear... Never applied but I've been, and it's quite nice; but Manc is nicer!

I applied to Notts, Cardiff & Sheffield as well... Which is gonna be your back up?

You've got an offer for both? Go for the course you'll enjoy the most, because both are highly respected :smile: that's my opinion anyway :smile:

An A is an A, doesn't matter how high or low it is :smile: If you can keep up that for summer, it'll be fine :smile: I'd be so psyched to get 3 As too, but it's so so hard to get an A when you've got a middling B...

Yeah, that's the annoying thing with modules, unless you're planning on re-taking something, your a bit in no mans land, and stuck on a grade, particularly if you are smack bang. At least it's a fairly certain B though, seeing as you need just AAB, aim for A*A in your other things :smile: I'm not sure, I might firm and insure both courses, or not have an insurance as my lowest offer (ABB Mancs) would be my firm, making the others irrelevant
Yeah, that's the annoying thing with modules, unless you're planning on re-taking something, your a bit in no mans land, and stuck on a grade, particularly if you are smack bang. At least it's a fairly certain B though, seeing as you need just AAB, aim for A*A in your other things :smile: I'm not sure, I might firm and insure both courses, or not have an insurance as my lowest offer (ABB Mancs) would be my firm, making the others irrelevant

I don't take modules, that's the even more annoying thing :frown: I mean it's possible to move into the band above, but you need to be riight at the top of the next grade to even scrape it... Like from a B to an A, you need like 95% to scrape an A!

Yeah, choosing which unis to firm and insure is turning out to be a lot harder than anticipated, for the insurance at the very least
I don't take modules, that's the even more annoying thing :frown: I mean it's possible to move into the band above, but you need to be riight at the top of the next grade to even scrape it... Like from a B to an A, you need like 95% to scrape an A!

Yeah, choosing which unis to firm and insure is turning out to be a lot harder than anticipated, for the insurance at the very least

:frown: Just try your best, maybe I'll see you at Manchester, unless you go to Leeds :smile:
:frown: Just try your best, maybe I'll see you at Manchester, unless you go to Leeds :smile:

You too :smile: to be honest, I'd rather go to Manchester than Leeds at the moment, so maybe we will indeed see each other there :smile: good luck in all your exams!
You too :smile: to be honest, I'd rather go to Manchester than Leeds at the moment, so maybe we will indeed see each other there :smile: good luck in all your exams!

Thanks you too. It's gone so fast since GCSEs, I'm going to miss friends from college :frown:
Thanks you too. It's gone so fast since GCSEs, I'm going to miss friends from college :frown:

I know exactly what you mean. These last 2 years have been such a whirl, I've barely noticed them go by.... Especially the last few months since September, it feels like exams aren't 3 months away! It still feels like we have time to be dicking around haha. I'm gonna miss everyone and my school a lot too :frown: but then it will be really really fun and exciting going to uni, & I'm sure you'll keep in touch with your friends :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending