The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by val852
Hey!

Just reading through these forums for the first time, and I'm in the same boat too. I did send them a quick email, but no reply as of yet..I'm assuming it could still be the holidays so they're not as responsive..?
I know when my course is starting, but surely there's some sort of induction/enrolment period..none of the dates I know of! Also, do you have any idea about holidays, whether they're the same as UG ones? I don't even know if they vary across each PG course!
So many unanswered questions, starting to do my head in!

What is your masters in?

Same here. Though I did only email at the end of last week, so I should probably give them a bit longer.

I've absolutely no idea about holidays, I'm guessing they're the same as from what I can gather the semesters are structured the same for undergrad and postgrad.

And I'm doing maths. :smile: What about you? Are you excited to start? I actually feel more nervous than I did starting undergrad because it feels waaaay more independent, and I'm literally the worst person ever at sorting pretty much anything like houses, bills and that sort of stuff out!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1381
hey i m going to join in MSc Management of Projects...any other takers for the course? Also i am looking at private halls of residence near wilmslow road...any suggestions?
Strange to think Manchester will have the A-level grades tomorrow. If only I had inside information :frown: Decisions will be made for a fair few of us over the next 24 hours.
Reply 1383
Original post by gonnabesomething
Strange to think Manchester will have the A-level grades tomorrow. If only I had inside information :frown: Decisions will be made for a fair few of us over the next 24 hours.

WHAT?! They get them that early? I was told they get them the day before results day...
Original post by Nick2K11
WHAT?! They get them that early? I was told they get them the day before results day...

No, colleges and sixth forms around the country receive them on Wednesday and process them for collection/viewing for the following day. Universities have them now so they can decide which courses will go into clearing and which people they're happy to accept with lower grades etc. They have to manually trawl through the results and match the grades to requirements. It can take ages. There's no two ways of going about it.

I'm hoping I did enough, time, will tell.
somebody said you can check to see if there has been an update on your accommodation application. if there is, you have your place. is that true do you think?
Original post by alcimedes
somebody said you can check to see if there has been an update on your accommodation application. if there is, you have your place. is that true do you think?

That is true because only people with unconditional offers are offered accommodation.. So if you were holding an conditional offer, and got an offer for accommodation it means your offer turned into unconditional, which means that you got your place :biggrin:

Yeah phone theM tell me if that works x
The person who suggested it said they looked on the accommodation portal last year and on the monday before results their user id had changed from the 7 digit one we all have to the shorter one that current students have. I'm not sure what the accommodation portal is though. I went to the page where you can check your status but it just has my name, the date I applied and "confirm date".
has anyone else tried theirs?
(edited 11 years ago)
I doubt it will work. I think accomodation is the last thing Manchester will be sorting now. They'll do the grades, and only after results day will they work on allocating students.
I have just logged into mine, and it doesn't show anything different. Just wait, only 60 hours or so to go :biggrin:
Original post by gonnabesomething
I have just logged into mine, and it doesn't show anything different. Just wait, only 60 hours or so to go :biggrin:

pity-would've saved me drawing tables with titles like "ideas for clearing." I'm rubbish on the phone so I'll need lots of notes in case I have to phone anywhere

I very much doubt that that's true. Universities are under some rather strict contractual obligations not to tell students if they have been accepted or not, and so they will have taken measures to stop any such information leaking.

The person who suggested it said they looked on the accommodation portal last year and on the monday before results their user id had changed from the 7 digit one we all have to the shorter one that current students have. I'm not sure what the accommodation portal is though. I went to the page where you can check your status but it just has my name, the date I applied and "confirm date".
has anyone else tried theirs?

Current students also have a 7 digit ID number, which is the same one as you have when you're a prospective student.

I know it's hard, but you might just have to bite the bullet and wait until Thurs morning!
Original post by Origami Bullets
I very much doubt that that's true. Universities are under some rather strict contractual obligations not to tell students if they have been accepted or not, and so they will have taken measures to stop any such information leaking.

Current students also have a 7 digit ID number, which is the same one as you have when you're a prospective student.

I know it's hard, but you might just have to bite the bullet and wait until Thurs morning!

I admit defeat!
Reply 1394
Original post by Ziggy_Stardust
Same here. Though I did only email at the end of last week, so I should probably give them a bit longer.

I've absolutely no idea about holidays, I'm guessing they're the same as from what I can gather the semesters are structured the same for undergrad and postgrad.

And I'm doing maths. :smile: What about you? Are you excited to start? I actually feel more nervous than I did starting undergrad because it feels waaaay more independent, and I'm literally the worst person ever at sorting pretty much anything like houses, bills and that sort of stuff out!

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I think youre right about the holidays, they seem to be structured the same!
I'll be doing clinical and health psychology, and yea I'm quite excited to start..! Whens your start date? Think it'll be ok in terms of housing..kinda nervous bout that though cause I'll be going from renting houses for the past 3 years to uni halls..should be okay right!? How about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 1395
Hey, just wanted to wish everybody awaiting results tomorrow good luck :biggrin:
thanks. think I'll need it.I'm busy making notes for clearing. regretting having an insurance offer of AAA now.good luck to you too
Good Luck tomorrow guys! Most nerve wracking feeling ever - glad I never have to do it again!
Hey guys,
I've got a place at the university but does anyone know when accommodation is given out?
Original post by alex_coleman
Hey guys,
I've got a place at the university but does anyone know when accommodation is given out?

In the next few days - don't fret, because you are guaranteed a place in halls, and even if you don't like the halls you're put in, you can swap ~6 weeks in.

Latest

Trending

Trending