The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

I intend to read History at university and people that know that will always look to me for the answer to anything that occurred in the past. Just because we study History doesn't mean we know we know all of it
Classics and MML- usually:

Is that a joke?

You won't find any jobs with that.

Do you want to be a museum cleaner or something?

All coming from people who are applying for STEM courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finance

Ah so you're going to be one of these scums that ruin our economy?
I want to do Food Science and the majority of responses so far have been 'So you want to be a chef?'
Them: So what are you doing nowadays then?
Me: I'm doing a degree in maths.
Them: Ohh, I hated maths at school, I'm rubbish at fractions. Ohh, so you like doing sums then...
Me: Ahh, yeah...ect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Them: "whatcha doing"
Me: "Philosophy and Politics"
Them: "Oh so you want to be a MP, you're gonna be there first black female prime minster haha"
Me: "no :|"
I study economics, and the most common responses I get are: "That's quite a masculine subject, why don't you do nursing or something?", "Oh, so you want to be an investment banker... like Wolf of Wall Street right?" and "You must really hate yourself"
Original post by Iron Mask Duval
When I tell people I do Geology I get one of these:

1. "Isn't that the study of rocks ? What can you do with that"?
2. "Oh, like what Ross does on Friends"?
3. "...Geology Rocks"!
4. "Oh! Oh! I know about Geology! Sedimentary, Igneous and Metamorphic"!

The only difference between you and me is I don't find it funny when I hear it because i've heard it all so many times i've lost count. What's worse is there's not good replies to them.

1. Well quite a lot actually, since the study of rocks is the study of earth resources I can get into the oil industry, groundwater industry or even the mineral exploitation industry which....(by this point they just have a blank expression on their face and no longer care).

2. Not really, Ross specializes in palaentology (at which point they interupt with "Oh like Dinosaurs"?!). Then I have to reply with "Well, we don't really do much on dinosaurs, it's more microfossils like trilobites, graptolites and bivalves, or studying the past climate in order to create models so that....(by this point, they have lost interest).

3. ....Did it ever occur to you that i'd have heard that joke loads of times before so won't find it funny now ?

4. There's more to it than that, but I really can't be bothered to explain it.

Annoyingly I can no longer just use the "it's the study of earthquakes, volcanoes, fossils and oil" excuse as when I start the masters in engineering geology it's not something that can be summed up in a single sentence.
So far all I have prepared is "..It's basically just like Civil Engineering", and if they don't know what that is, i'll just point them to the nearest Google search engine.

geology rocks uno :smile:
Original post by tsr-member
"Pfftt, Biology's not a science."
:hmpf:

i am deadddd
Conversation today:
"Oh what are you doing at uni?"
"Maths"
"Oh do you want to be a teacher like"

When did maths degree = teaching degree???????
Original post by Geena-
I study economics, and the most common responses I get are: "That's quite a masculine subject, why don't you do nursing or something?", "Oh, so you want to be an investment banker... like Wolf of Wall Street right?" and "You must really hate yourself"

lol but you do want to become an investment banker... :wink: I did my ba in finance already and work in IB :biggrin: what role are you planning on pursuing?

Oh yea and its nothing like Wolf of Wallstreet :wink:
Original post by rayquaza17
Conversation today:
"Oh what are you doing at uni?"
"Maths"
"Oh do you want to be a teacher like"

When did maths degree = teaching degree???????

The minute that the government started giving £10,000 extra to Maths graduates if they pursue teaching to lure them into the dreadful job
Me: Dicrete Maths
Them: "Oh okay.. What is that?" OR "Ooh shouldnt you be a bit more discrete about that?"
I've not started yet but when I say forensic psychology I get one of three

"like that dude from csi?"

"what the **** is that?"

"oh cool.....like crime scenes and stuff?"

I then just tell them to google it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Character Animation)

"Oh you must be a good drawer then."

"So we'll see you working for Disney in the future!"

"Can you draw me?"

-facepalm- I'm done
Original post by pharmacy15
Me: Pharmacy

Them: So just a Glorified Shopkeeper then?

Explain otherwise, please.
Original post by elleay
(Character Animation)

"Oh you must be a good drawer then."

"So we'll see you working for Disney in the future!"

"Can you draw me?"

-facepalm- I'm done

What else are people going to say?

-_-
"Oh my God, you study maths? You must be really clever!"

Or maybe I'm just good at passing exams, which is what 70% or so of my degree consisted of...
Original post by tehforum
What else are people going to say?

-_-

You'd think people would maybe be a bit more original with what they say though, I mean after the 14th person comes up with the same response you start to get a bit bored
Currently in AS and I want to do English..

"Oh you want to do English? I thought because you were Indian you'd want to do Economics or Maths or something"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending