The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallistrate
So do you think a uni would look down on someone who had applied to more than one of their courses? Is it seen as a bad thing by them?

Wow, which university was that?

I think it's a tough one to call. The department would see all your applications to that department, so on the one hand, they could see you are dedicated to that university and that might go down well. On the other hand, unless the courses were very, very close in content, they could consider you were uncommitted to the subject.

The university was Manchester, and it was for various shades of English. In 2004, you were allowed to apply for 6 courses, not 5 as it is now, so it was a considerably less risky option than these days. I think it'd be unlikely to happen now. (No, he didn't listen to my advice, but then, he was proved right, so take from that what you will. I'm a sixth form tutor, by the way.)
Reply 381
Think this is the right place to ask this:

If I'm retaking AS units, what do I need to put as the certification date on the "pending" AS qualification?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think it's a tough one to call. The department would see all your applications to that department, so on the one hand, they could see you are dedicated to that university and that might go down well. On the other hand, unless the courses were very, very close in content, they could consider you were uncommitted to the subject.

The university was Manchester, and it was for various shades of English. In 2004, you were allowed to apply for 6 courses, not 5 as it is now, so it was a considerably less risky option than these days. I think it'd be unlikely to happen now. (No, he didn't listen to my advice, but then, he was proved right, so take from that what you will. I'm a sixth form tutor, by the way.)

What do you think about applying for Modern History and Medieval History, both joint honours with English? Are they similar enough? I have already applied for Mod. History but want to add Med. History to my ucas as I would really love to study either.

Thanks very much for your help by the way, it's great to have an informed opinion on this this :smile:
What do you think about applying for Modern History and Medieval History, both joint honours with English? Are they similar enough? I have already applied for Mod. History but want to add Med. History to my ucas as I would really love to study either.

Thanks very much for your help by the way, it's great to have an informed opinion on this this :smile:

Well, it's what I do for a living...:colondollar: No, that idea's a non-starter unless ALL your courses are joint history and English. You would need to write a joint statement for both subjects, giving them 50% of your space each, and the single subject people would wonder why you were raving about a subject you weren't applying for. English and history are so competitive that you would get nowhere with either with this approach. How about seeing if you can find 5 courses for the joint option? As for history on its own, that too is difficult to write a statement for if you try to mix early and modern, because it looks like you haven't researched the courses properly if you are talking about stuff that's not in them. My advice is always to decide what you want to do first and then write a targeted application. It's a much more successful tactic.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, it's what I do for a living...:colondollar: No, that idea's a non-starter unless ALL your courses are joint history and English. You would need to write a joint statement for both subjects, giving them 50% of your space each, and the single subject people would wonder why you were raving about a subject you weren't applying for. English and history are so competitive that you would get nowhere with either with this approach. How about seeing if you can find 5 courses for the joint option? As for history on its own, that too is difficult to write a statement for if you try to mix early and modern, because it looks like you haven't researched the courses properly if you are talking about stuff that's not in them. My advice is always to decide what you want to do first and then write a targeted application. It's a much more successful tactic.

Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly- all my choices are joint English and History, but at the other unis I've applied to the History side is a general history degree rather than modern/medieval/etc. So my personal statement isn't exclusively on one era of history, although it is more modern history than anything else (although of course it's 50% English). However, at this paticular university you do a medieval course OR a modern course... and I'm interested in both :s-smilie: I can see maybe that it might not work though as my statement is directed more at modern history than medieval, and this can't be changed as I've already sent my app.
Sorry, I don't think I explained it properly- all my choices are joint English and History, but at the other unis I've applied to the History side is a general history degree rather than modern/medieval/etc. So my personal statement isn't exclusively on one era of history, although it is more modern history than anything else (although of course it's 50% English). However, at this paticular university you do a medieval course OR a modern course... and I'm interested in both :s-smilie: I can see maybe that it might not work though as my statement is directed more at modern history than medieval, and this can't be changed as I've already sent my app.

I think you've probably done the best job anyone could in the circumstances. It doesn't sound like you've ruled too many things out. Good luck with it.:smile:
Reply 386
My friend told me today that if you've had a rejection before the 15th January, you can withdraw your application from that choice and pick another one, provided you meet the deadline- effectively giving you the chance to try again... This doesn't sound right to me. Is she serious?!
Reply 387
Original post by HeatherM

My friend told me today that if you've had a rejection before the 15th January, you can withdraw your application from that choice and pick another one, provided you meet the deadline- effectively giving you the chance to try again... This doesn't sound right to me. Is she serious?!

She's wrong. You can only replace choices within 7 days of applying, and not if you have a reply from that choice.

This year some people can change due to OFFA, but if so you will already have received an email about that and know it applies to you.
Reply 388

Original post by Juno
She's wrong. You can only replace choices within 7 days of applying, and not if you have a reply from that choice.

This year some people can change due to OFFA, but if so you will already have received an email about that and know it applies to you.

Damn, now i have to tell her. Gutted :/
Reply 389
I hope this is the right threat to ask this. I have to complete this on UCAS:
When I click on "see list" I get a list of British cities, and the only option that could concern me is "EU Team", since I live in another European country, do I select this option or do I let it empty?
Thank you

Original post by Juno

You are both right. Only certain applicants can change due to OFFA but those applicants are ALL those applicants who applied prior to 7th December 2011.

Effectively you do have the chance to try again but you can only replace choices on one occasion and either the choice selected or the choice selected or both must be from the OFFA list of universities.
Reply 391
Original post by ftm66
I hope this is the right threat to ask this. I have to complete this on UCAS:
When I click on "see list" I get a list of British cities, and the only option that could concern me is "EU Team", since I live in another European country, do I select this option or do I let it empty?
Thank you
I would use EU Team in that case.
Reply 392
Original post by rogue4ever
Hi i would like to ask is anyone from greece here?I have done a 2 year vocational course and i dont know how to refer to it they are called IEK here,does anyone have any idea i would be most grateful.English colleges here in greece consider that as an hnd and you can get to the second year of the course if its in relevant study areas(computing for example)
No idea at all, I'm afraid. There should be an option 'my course isn't listed' so that you can just enter the details in free text. If you are wanting to check whether unis here will accept it on the same basis as they do in Greece, you will have to email each individually and ask.
ok thanks i have contacted them and eventually i have to state it in the other eu qualifications but they didnt tell me if i had to list the modules and my marks in each one of them.I will also write it in my personal statement but i am afraid it might be overlooked as a diploma
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Nope, unless you can find someone with a copy of the Clearing lists from this year. Not that it would be much use, the list for next year is likely to be pretty different.

I found the full list. I get your point but say if a uni like Southbank/Greenwich had places for Maths available via clearing then is it likely that they'd have places in 2012 also?
Reply 395
Original post by cashmoneyorg

I found the full list. I get your point but say if a uni like Southbank/Greenwich had places for Maths available via clearing then is it likely that they'd have places in 2012 also?

No. Unis don't particularly want to be in Clearing, so they might do things (eg more advertising, or with the new fee changes may offer bursaries etc) to avoid it again. Even if they've been in for a few years they may decide this year is the year they need to do something about it. They could also decide to decrease places on that unpopular degree, maybe by employing a tutor less, to free up funds for one of the more popular degrees.
Original post by Juno
No. Unis don't particularly want to be in Clearing, so they might do things (eg more advertising, or with the new fee changes may offer bursaries etc) to avoid it again. Even if they've been in for a few years they may decide this year is the year they need to do something about it. They could also decide to decrease places on that unpopular degree, maybe by employing a tutor less, to free up funds for one of the more popular degrees.

Gee never thought of that.
Gee never thought of that.

Being in Clearing is like having to sell stuff in the July sales. Shops may have simply overstocked on one item and need to get rid of it, they may have stocked something not many people want, there may be a change in economic climate that renders some of their stock more unsaleable than usual and so on, and the same applies to university courses. If a course is in Clearing, it's a sign something hasn't gone quite right in the university's application mechanism and it's not something the universities want to do if they can avoid it. They don't keep places especially for use in Clearing. My shopping analogy falls down a bit there, as shops do buy in 'Special Purchase' items solely for sales, but you catch my drift. You could maybe count the places that in theory some universities might hold back for Adjustment, but this is such a rare thing that I won't let it get in the way of a decent comparison.
When is the earliest you can apply for Student Finance? I have been offered interviews for some of my choices, but haven't had them yet, earliest interview on the 1st Feb.

Can i apply before having a conditional/unconditional offer, or do i have to wait until i have been given an offer at a university before i can apply for finance?
Original post by --NWzD9--

Original post by --NWzD9--
When is the earliest you can apply for Student Finance? I have been offered interviews for some of my choices, but haven't had them yet, earliest interview on the 1st Feb.

Can i apply before having a conditional/unconditional offer, or do i have to wait until i have been given an offer at a university before i can apply for finance?

Applications open in early 2012.
Keep checking our official student finance tab as it will be updated constantly, then once applications open you will be able to apply via the tab. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Student_Finance

You need to apply for funding as soon as you can. You don't have to have chosen your firm and insurance and you don't need to have got all of your offers in either, you just apply then any changes can be communicated to SFE later.

Latest

Trending

Trending