The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Feeling Unhappy

So it's now two weeks into the term. Freshers' is over and the real work should have begun. The problem is i'm really not feeling happy at times here at Warwick; the problem for me is the course and the atmosphere around the university.

I'm doing PAIS, and from what i've gathered it has one of the fewest contact hours for the UG degrees. So far, i've had three lectures and seminars a week, and i've just started my option module. I really enjoy the subject and i'm finding the lectures (when I have them) fascinating. I knew when I applied that there would be so little contact hours, but it's really getting to me. The day's feel empty: there's no pressure and very little set work. I'm finding the whole change from school to uni quite difficult; I thought being an IB student I wouldn't have a problem managing my time, but I have so little to do. I think i'm the kind of person that needs some pressure - something to work towards/at - to keep me going. I feel like i'm falling into a black hole of procrastination that will be difficult to get out of.

Also, i'm finding the lack of bustle around the campus, especially at weekends quite saddening. I really like the atmosphere of cities - the noise, the places and excitement - where something is always going on. It feels like i'm stuck in a 'warwick campus bubble'. I'm starting to question why I chose Warwick in the end and regretting not choosing a city university - not that worrying about the past can do anything apart from making me feel worse. I was so excited about going to university three weeks ago and couldn't wait to arrive, things have changed quite quickly.

I know this comes accros as a winey post, but it would be nice to know that i'm not the only one feeling this way, or maybe others have found the work and pressure suddenly stepped up and things improved.
Reply 1
Unfortunately you'll just have to get used to it...I've been unhappy for five years. Just the way it is for some people apparently!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I guess there's not much more I can do than just 'getting on with it'.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say thats the way it has to be. Have you tried joining any clubs or societies to help keep you busy. Don't worry about not being good at a sport or anything most cater for complete beginners and it's a good way to meet new people. And also gives you something to do in your spare time :smile:
Reply 4
^^ As above, many also have socials off-campus into Coventry and Leam to get you out of the 'Warwick Bubble' :yep:

I personally love it though :dontknow: . Walking through campus from the student cinema at 9.30 last night with absolutely no-one around was surreal :p:
Reply 5
why dont you pick up a language? that ought to keep you busy. And join some societies particularly sports, in that way you'll have your evenings busy plus you'll meet alot of 'like-minded' people..uni is a good place to be, try and make the most of your time while you can.
Reply 6
Woah. It's crazy. I feel exactly as you do, although I do like the small amount of contact hours. I was also pretty excited to get here and I'm kinda worried about how my mood has been dipping significantly. I was actually saying to my boyfriend the other day that I have yet to have a 'happy moment' here at Warwick so I really do know how you feel. Please accept my virtual hug!

I have problems with the atmosphere/environment rather than the course. I really miss the bustle of the city (I come from London so I'm very much a city girl). I miss the feeling of being a nobody in a big city with lots of people of different ages, cultures and occupations - the bubble has definitely got to me. I went into Coventry with the bf on the weekend though and felt so much better being in the city centre where there was much more going on, I really perked up that day. Being off campus also brought me comfort by thinking about the second year and moving out and how I could look forward to that; living off of campus and not in halls and commuting to uni. Have you been off of campus and into the city?

I actually thought about transferring to a university back in London but it wouldn't work out since the course here at Warwick is the one that's best for what I want to do. I also regret that I didn't choose a university in London or a city university but it's an experience and I had to leave London to find out that I missed it.

I guess it really is a matter of immersing yourself into something, whether it be the work or a hobby or societies (I've been having a bit of a difficult time with this) but I understand it is difficult, especially if you feel your course isn't giving you the pressure you'd like. I think you need to build up support networks. I'd be up for offering some social support, you can message me and we could meet up for a coffee/tea or just talk online if you want. I hope you start feeling better soon!
I'm really enjoying it, but I do agree with you about the weekends, the place is deserted!

(If you want more work, move to maths... :tongue:)
Reply 8
You could always jump on the number 12 bus to Coventry when you feel like some atmosphere :smile: Lots to do and plenty of friendly Coventry University Students to make you feel welcome! Chin-up :colondollar:
Reply 9
Or go to Leamington because it is prettier :wink:

(I actually kid, as much as I don't really like it, I am actually Team Coventry.)

Try to get involved with other stuff going on around the university. Pick up a new sport or continue with an old one, get involved with the societies, volunteer, go to the cinema or theatre (£3 cinema tickets and £5 theatre tickets at the Arts Centre, not to mention the Student Cinema)...I myself have barely had any down time since the week BEFORE term thanks to involvement in all sorts of things, and I love it. (Although I also haven't had enough time to study which is beginning to show, oops.)

If any of that doesn't pan out, you can always choose to go elsewhere next year.

You don't have to sit around and be unhappy, but only you can be the one to implement changes to turn it around in whatever form.
'tis a shame you like the course so much but not the rest of uni life so far! Don't fret just yet. I know this may sound boring but if you've got lots of free time, try getting into some extra reading. It sounds like you're loving the subject, so why not enhance your knowledge? It would prove useful for essays and second year.

Do try societies and sports. It's a great way of making friends and the socials on and off campus can be awesome.

Lastly as people have said go to Cov, Leam or B'ham for fun or a night out. There's shops, cinemas, restaurants a plenty, as well as some of that bustly atmosphere you're missing.

Maybe once you're more involved in uni life, you'll be having such a busy / good time that you'll forget how you initially felt!
Reply 11
Original post by Irrelephant
So it's now two weeks into the term. Freshers' is over and the real work should have begun. The problem is i'm really not feeling happy at times here at Warwick; the problem for me is the course and the atmosphere around the university.

I'm doing PAIS, and from what i've gathered it has one of the fewest contact hours for the UG degrees. So far, i've had three lectures and seminars a week, and i've just started my option module. I really enjoy the subject and i'm finding the lectures (when I have them) fascinating. I knew when I applied that there would be so little contact hours, but it's really getting to me. The day's feel empty: there's no pressure and very little set work. I'm finding the whole change from school to uni quite difficult; I thought being an IB student I wouldn't have a problem managing my time, but I have so little to do. I think i'm the kind of person that needs some pressure - something to work towards/at - to keep me going. I feel like i'm falling into a black hole of procrastination that will be difficult to get out of.

Also, i'm finding the lack of bustle around the campus, especially at weekends quite saddening. I really like the atmosphere of cities - the noise, the places and excitement - where something is always going on. It feels like i'm stuck in a 'warwick campus bubble'. I'm starting to question why I chose Warwick in the end and regretting not choosing a city university - not that worrying about the past can do anything apart from making me feel worse. I was so excited about going to university three weeks ago and couldn't wait to arrive, things have changed quite quickly.

I know this comes accros as a winey post, but it would be nice to know that i'm not the only one feeling this way, or maybe others have found the work and pressure suddenly stepped up and things improved.

Have you done all the required reading + the supplementary reading?
Reply 12
Thank you to all the advice everyone has given. I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Original post by Mellyssa
Woah. It's crazy. I feel exactly as you do, although I do like the small amount of contact hours. I was also pretty excited to get here and I'm kinda worried about how my mood has been dipping significantly. I was actually saying to my boyfriend the other day that I have yet to have a 'happy moment' here at Warwick so I really do know how you feel. Please accept my virtual hug!

I have problems with the atmosphere/environment rather than the course. I really miss the bustle of the city (I come from London so I'm very much a city girl). I miss the feeling of being a nobody in a big city with lots of people of different ages, cultures and occupations - the bubble has definitely got to me. I went into Coventry with the bf on the weekend though and felt so much better being in the city centre where there was much more going on, I really perked up that day. Being off campus also brought me comfort by thinking about the second year and moving out and how I could look forward to that; living off of campus and not in halls and commuting to uni. Have you been off of campus and into the city?

I actually thought about transferring to a university back in London but it wouldn't work out since the course here at Warwick is the one that's best for what I want to do. I also regret that I didn't choose a university in London or a city university but it's an experience and I had to leave London to find out that I missed it.

I guess it really is a matter of immersing yourself into something, whether it be the work or a hobby or societies (I've been having a bit of a difficult time with this) but I understand it is difficult, especially if you feel your course isn't giving you the pressure you'd like. I think you need to build up support networks. I'd be up for offering some social support, you can message me and we could meet up for a coffee/tea or just talk online if you want. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Mellyssa, I can't believe just how similar our situations are - it's spot on. I've been seriously considering seeing if I can re-apply/swap to a London Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest