The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

Why doesn't that many people go to the University of Buckingham???

I was just going through the forums and i've noticed that there isn't really that many University of Buckingham fourms compared to other unis.

Don't that many people go there.

It's the 8 th best uni for economincs and the 27th for Law and 15th for Buisness management

So surely the unis really good.

Scroll to see replies

Ignore the rankings theyre very unreliable - especially the subject ones. Youve used the guardian ones which are total rubbish. Bucks uni is **** frankly.
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
A Uni isn't 'really good' by being able to teach one subject well.
Because it's the UK's only private university, it's not very well-known either. I've heard some very good things about it, though, and it was ranked 21st in the most recent Times league table.

Original post by gunner4lyf44
Ignore the rankings theyre very unreliable - especially the subject ones. Youve used the guardian ones which are total rubbish. Bucks uni is **** frankly.

Bucks University and Buckingham are two different universities.
Like Allison said its private and it only takes 1000 students a year. It's meant to be really good though, I think 100% of people get employed after which is the highest of any uni, its got great student:staff ratio too and it ranks high in a lot of things, 21st in the Times. I think I'm gonna apply.
Original post by AllisonAdorkable
Because it's the UK's only private university, it's not very well-known either. I've heard some very good things about it, though, and it was ranked 21st in the most recent Times league table.

Bucks University and Buckingham are two different universities.

Buckingham hasn't been the only private university for quite a while, actually...
Reply 6
*don't
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Buckingham hasn't been the only private university for quite a while, actually...

Really? What are the others?
Original post by AllisonAdorkable
Really? What are the others?

BPP University College - a well-regarded Law and Business school.
Reply 9
Outside of Oxbridge, the University of Buckingham is probably the only university that teaches the tutorial style method e.g small groups of 4-6 students. It is a very different learning experience to a state funded university. As from choice it is independent of government and therefore receives no state subsidies, therefore its fees are higher. A degree can be completed in two years as they teach four 10 week terms per year.
Do not confuse this university with Bucks New University they are different institutions.
Reply 10
Original post by cognitio
Outside of Oxbridge, the University of Buckingham is probably the only university that teaches the tutorial style method e.g small groups of 4-6 students.

Pretty sure that's not true; more universities than just Oxbridge have small-group tutorials. (I know from experience that UCL maths has tutorials in groups of 4-6 twice a week; I've heard that UCL English has one-on-one tutorials as well).
Reply 11
Original post by kerily
Pretty sure that's not true; more universities than just Oxbridge have small-group tutorials. (I know from experience that UCL maths has tutorials in groups of 4-6 twice a week; I've heard that UCL English has one-on-one tutorials as well).

Interesting. I find that highly effective. What other Unis have you heard that have this system?
Original post by kerily

yeah we even have tutorials here at Bangor... for zoology :eek:
Reply 13
Original post by kka25
Interesting. I find that highly effective. What other Unis have you heard that have this system?

Oxbridge, UCL, and Bangor as I just learnt from being quoted. One-on-one tutorials are getting rarer, I think, but small-group ones seem to be still used relatively widely.
Reply 14
Original post by kerily
Oxbridge, UCL, and Bangor as I just learnt from being quoted. One-on-one tutorials are getting rarer, I think, but small-group ones seem to be still used relatively widely.

My previous Uni was horrible. We did tutorial inside the lecture hall. So there were 100+ students cramp in one massive hall and basically 2 or 3 tutors. How effective..
Reply 15
many universities use the tutorial system but the question to ask is, is it the main method and supplementary to lectures or visa versa
Reply 16
many universities use the tutorial system but the question to ask is, is it the main method and supplementary to lectures or visa versa

Yes, but the superiority of either ratio depends on the individual student. I learn a hell of a lot more from lectures than I do from tutorials, personally; they're more of a necessary evil which I attend because I'm meant to. I'd rather be taught by predominantly lectures than predominantly tutorials - and other students will be the same.
Reply 17
Original post by kerily

I have small group tutorials 1-2 times a week at Southampton.
Reply 18
Original post by kerily
Yes, but the superiority of either ratio depends on the individual student. I learn a hell of a lot more from lectures than I do from tutorials, personally; they're more of a necessary evil which I attend because I'm meant to. I'd rather be taught by predominantly lectures than predominantly tutorials - and other students will be the same.

I am in total agreement with you, what suits one will not suit another. Personally I prefer small group and therefore made my choice of university accordingly.
Reply 19
I am in total agreement with you, what suits one will not suit another. Personally I prefer small group and therefore made my choice of university accordingly.

The best post of the day. Have a :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending