The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
No, he was dressed down. Apparently (according to people who tend to know these things, like a chap whose father is a priest) he wouldn't be allowed to go if he wasn't.
I won't share the photos though (partly because it was not me who took them)

I've already said what I'm doing next year :p:
Working at a Catholic youth retreat centre.

Arg! Sorry, I keep forgetting :colondollar:
Original post by adamrules247
Arg! Sorry, I keep forgetting :colondollar:

Don't worry: I think I've asked Aula at least twice :biggrin:
Reply 2142
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Don't worry: I think I've asked Aula at least twice :biggrin:

It's fine, my priest asked again on Saturday, and he's asked at least twice and he wrote a reference :mmm:
Original post by Aula
It's fine, my priest asked again on Saturday, and he's asked at least twice and he wrote a reference :mmm:

That's not his fault though! It's all the booze you've been feeding him :teehee::
Reply 2144

That's not his fault though! It's all the booze you've been feeding him :teehee::

:unimpressed:

I don't feed him booze, he does that perfectly well himself :awesome:
Original post by Aula
:unimpressed:

I don't feed him booze, he does that perfectly well himself :awesome:

Just to ask a totally random question, are you, and the other members of your Cath Soc, members of the Christian Union. I'm just curious because obviously we have separate society when all the other Christian groups appear to stand under the united banner and also because many of the Catholics I've seen aren't members and, also, it seems to appear that some have a tiny whiff of anti Catholicism about them.

BTW This question is open to anyone who's in uni or has been to uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just to ask a totally random question, are you, and the other members of your Cath Soc, members of the Christian Union. I'm just curious because obviously we have separate society when all the other Christian groups appear to stand under the united banner and also because many of the Catholics I've seen aren't members and, also, it seems to appear that some have a tiny whiff of anti Catholicism about them.

I am in Catholic uni right now, so can't reply :tongue:. However, I remember reading about union in one UK uni and the charter of the Christian union subtly make you understand that Catholic were not welcome.
Reply 2147

No. Definitely not a member of DICCU. We've had issues with them. Individually there are some lovely people there, but yes, they definitely have a 'whiff of anti Catholicism about them'

My college's CU pretty much refused to talk to me because I'm a Catholic. I don't think I would have got on so well in the OICCU either, though people on here have, so I guess it just depends on the people you associate :yes:
Thanks for the replies. Who'd have thunk they were that bad. I was actually looking at the events section the CU of the uni I'm currently on track for going to and they have an event where, over a period of weeks, they travel to all the local churches. However, they tactfully leave out the local Catholic one (which is a big bloody Cathedral, difficult to miss).

No not a member of the Christian Union.
Original post by Aula
No. Definitely not a member of DICCU. We've had issues with them. Individually there are some lovely people there, but yes, they definitely have a 'whiff of anti Catholicism about them'

Just out of the purest of curiosity what sort of issues?

Sorry with all the questions, I just don't want to sign up to the CU at the Freshers fare and for them to kick me out for whipping out my Rosary beads :colondollar:
I'm a member of OICCU, I'll get back to you with a fuller answer soon... :smile:
Thanks for all the answers chaps and chapesses, given me food for thought at any rate.
I guess it's all the more incentive to go to a Catholic uni :jebus:
I'm worried I won't even get to university... I hate conditional offers and exams.
Reply 2156

Just out of the purest of curiosity what sort of issues?

Sorry with all the questions, I just don't want to sign up to the CU at the Freshers fare and for them to kick me out for whipping out my Rosary beads :colondollar:

Tbh I don't want to badmouth them, because I've been doing too much of that about people lately. You should probably wait and see for yourself. And if you do sign up and they kick you out for whipping out your Rosary beads, then they're clearly not the place for you.

I would strongly recommend looking at going somewhere with a strong Catholic Society, but if there isn't one, then you can be instrumental in setting one up, or at least strengthening what's there.
Original post by Aula
Tbh I don't want to badmouth them, because I've been doing too much of that about people lately. You should probably wait and see for yourself. And if you do sign up and they kick you out for whipping out your Rosary beads, then they're clearly not the place for you.

I would strongly recommend looking at going somewhere with a strong Catholic Society, but if there isn't one, then you can be instrumental in setting one up, or at least strengthening what's there.

Very wise advice there :yep: I probably won't join the CU, they seem a little 'happy clappy' from what I've read and, like I said, I find it pretty insulting they've left the Catholic Cathedral off their list of churches they'll take their members to.

The uni I've got an (essentially) guaranteed place at, Dundee, has, roughly, 20 members according to the priest who I've emailed, they're quite a traditional parish he said ( :dance: ), it's cathedral worship and he said he's quite new (only been in the job 4 months) so he's hoping to 'build' and any help he gets would be brilliant. Is 20 a biggish number or a smallish one (he said it was split roughly 50/50 male and females)?

EDIT: Someone seems to have begged you, how mean spirited of them :frown:

Also, I still reckon I could go somewhere better than Dundee, so it may be Aberdeen or St. Andrews yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
:hello:

Hello everyone,

Just joined this society, thought I'd say a bit to introduce myself.

I'm a 1st year maths student at Warwick university. Cradle Catholic through and through, though certainly going through a tough time with my faith and having lots of doubts.

Would be great to meet some TSR Catholics :smile:
Reply 2159

Very wise advice there :yep: I probably won't join the CU, they seem a little 'happy clappy' from what I've read and, like I said, I find it pretty insulting they've left the Catholic Cathedral off their list of churches they'll take their members to.

The uni I've got an (essentially) guaranteed place at, Dundee, has, roughly, 20 members according to the priest who I've emailed, they're quite a traditional parish he said ( :dance: ), it's cathedral worship and he said he's quite new (only been in the job 4 months) so he's hoping to 'build' and any help he gets would be brilliant. Is 20 a biggish number or a smallish one (he said it was split roughly 50/50 male and females)?

EDIT: Someone seems to have begged you, how mean spirited of them :frown:

Also, I still reckon I could go somewhere better than Dundee, so it may be Aberdeen or St. Andrews yet.

Oh well, never mind. Probably someone who doesn't want me realising it's them. It was worth nothing though. Sometimes I wish I was still a sub so could see who had negged me, but I don't revenge neg anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Umm... I think we probably have about 20 regular active members, though far more who turn up to church, possibly more who tend to come along to the pub after mass... I'm not actually very good with estimating numbers :colondollar:

Results tomorrow, I have a feeling I may spend a lot of tonight praying to St. Jude :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending