The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamrules247
Actually do it! That would be amazing :party: :woo:

I think I might. Unfortunately I think that wouldn't work with the other person I have to interview :teehee:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think I might. Unfortunately I think that wouldn't work with the other person I have to interview :teehee:

You never know, they might have a healthy interest in religion.

Just as a side note, as a hobby, I'm writing a pamphlet on the Hail Mary :awesome: Quite good fun actually :yep:
You never know, they might have a healthy interest in religion.

Just as a side note, as a hobby, I'm writing a pamphlet on the Hail Mary :awesome: Quite good fun actually :yep:

Oooh that sounds very interesting. What prompted you to do that? Is it to disseminate around uni? :smile:
Oooh that sounds very interesting. What prompted you to do that? Is it to disseminate around uni? :smile:

Nothing directly but my American friend had started doing a monthly prayer reflection for Cath Soc and I felt called to do it really. It's quite funny really, we're sort of opposite in her devotion. While she goes "straight" to Jesus I go to Jesus through Mary.

Some examples:

- I wear a Miraculous medal on display and she wears a Crucifix on display.
- My favourite prayer is the Rosary and hers is the Divine Mercy
- My computer and mobile phone wallpapers are of Our Blessed Lady and her's are of Jesus.

But getting back to my pamphlet, I might give it to some members of CatSoc to meditate upon. Annoyingly I keep getting new ideas to write about :O
Nothing directly but my American friend had started doing a monthly prayer reflection for Cath Soc and I felt called to do it really. It's quite funny really, we're sort of opposite in her devotion. While she goes "straight" to Jesus I go to Jesus through Mary.

Some examples:

- I wear a Miraculous medal on display and she wears a Crucifix on display.
- My favourite prayer is the Rosary and hers is the Divine Mercy
- My computer and mobile phone wallpapers are of Our Blessed Lady and her's are of Jesus.

But getting back to my pamphlet, I might give it to some members of CatSoc to meditate upon. Annoyingly I keep getting new ideas to write about :O

I have to confess, I also tend to go straight to God rather than go through Mary (I don't really talk to Jesus and He tends to freak me out when He tries to talk to me) :colondollar: I'm trying to develop a relationship with Mary. I gained a whole new understanding of her at Lourdes. Really would like to go back there next year :smile:
I have to confess, I also tend to go straight to God rather than go through Mary (I don't really talk to Jesus and He tends to freak me out when He tries to talk to me) :colondollar: I'm trying to develop a relationship with Mary. I gained a whole new understanding of her at Lourdes. Really would like to go back there next year :smile:

Maybe a good place to start would be some of the writings of Bl. John Paul II who writes about Our Lady constantly! This Encyclical might be a good place to start :smile: It's funny though - the contrast between the two of us, don't you think? I love the way God puts people like that on your path :awesome:
Maybe a good place to start would be some of the writings of Bl. John Paul II who writes about Our Lady constantly! This Encyclical might be a good place to start :smile: It's funny though - the contrast between the two of us, don't you think? I love the way God puts people like that on your path :awesome:

Thanks for the Encyclical :smile: It is definitely interesting how God crosses the paths of certain people so that they can learn from one another and grow :smile:
Thanks for the Encyclical :smile: It is definitely interesting how God crosses the paths of certain people so that they can learn from one another and grow :smile:

I just started reading it as well. Totally blew everything I wrote straight out of the water.
Just written about the "Blessed art thou among women and Blessed is the Fruit of thy womb" bit :awesome: Got three (half size) pages out of it.
Just written about the "Blessed art thou among women and Blessed is the Fruit of thy womb" bit :awesome: Got three (half size) pages out of it.

Wow! Once this is done you'll have to post it here so we can all read it :smile:
Richard Dawkins has a piont!!!! If I was brought up in the roman times, I would believe in a Roman God...
PRSOM! Epic post!

So sad that Cicerao said they hated the Catholic Church :no:

I'd been hesitant to join because a lot of times, at least in America, "Christian" club tends to be code for Protestant/Evangelical. So I felt like I would not have been welcome. And then I happened to see that post and saw that it had positive rep. I'm happy to socialize with people who believe differently from me but not those who have hatred for it. //
1 John 2:11... Just sayin. We should pray for her.

Yeah all that was getting rather nasty. I have little time for anti-Catholic bashing :no:

People making those kind of comments only testify against themselves. :wink:
Original post by amandacalifornia
I'd been hesitant to join because a lot of times, at least in America, "Christian" club tends to be code for Protestant/Evangelical. So I felt like I would not have been welcome. And then I happened to see that post and saw that it had positive rep. I'm happy to socialize with people who believe differently from me but not those who have hatred for it. //
1 John 2:11... Just sayin. We should pray for her.

People making those kind of comments only testify against themselves. :wink:

I think her beef was with the Catholic Church as an institution, not Catholics themselves. And anyway, us Protestants have been going at you Catholics for hundreds of years :yeah:.
Original post by Nephilim
I think her beef was with the Catholic Church as an institution, not Catholics themselves. And anyway, us Protestants have been going at you Catholics for hundreds of years :yeah:.

There has been a lot of hatred by Christians towards other Christians over the centuries. Sad that far too often the things that unite Christians being far greater than differences is forgotten.
Reply 3494
Well I'll see if I pick anything out of it when I watch it :yep:

The first way to learn what your vocation is, is to pray upon it; in front of the Blessed Sacrament is possible.

Just wanted to add a comment that was relevant to praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

Whilst in Paris this week, I visited the Sacre Coeur. They have Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament 24 hours every day. I was kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament leaving my mind open and receptive. A thought came into my head which guided me to adopting an attitude to coping with something that had been bothering me for a few days...something that I had not even been consciously thinking about at that moment. A great peace descended upon me and I was filled with gratitude and emotion at that moment.

Although I left the Basilica with tears in my eyes, they were tears of happiness.

It was your mention of praying in front of the Blessed Sacrament that brought this experience to mind. Sometimes prayer is not about asking for something, or even thanking God...sometimes it's about being prepared to listen as well. And what better place to do that than in His Presence.?

God bless. :smile:
Though not directed at me I just watched it with a friend! I've met some of the monks you saw in the back ground of that programme :biggrin:

Did you enjoy it? :dance:

I've been telling all my friends about it :yep:
Reply 3496
Reply 3497
Hi everyone - good to be back amongst friends on TSR. I had a marvellous trip although I'm really missing both my bro's, but was good to catch up and great that all the family got together again.

As we grow up, we find we gradually move away from one another to forge out lives of our own. That's as it should be...it's part of God's plan for us all. Whilst being separated by geography, we can still be together as close as ever in a spiritual way - and this is how I feel about different family members of mine scattered around the globe.

It is interesting that the values we learnt from our parents remain with us into adult lives and hopefully those values will remain as strong within us so as we can pass them onto our children as our parents do within their own life times.

I'm beginning to ramble somewhat: I just wanted to say hello again to all my friends on this society and tell them that I missed you all whilst away.

How are you all keeping and is there anything current in your own lives that you would like to share?

Original post by yawn
Hi everyone - good to be back amongst friends on TSR. I had a marvellous trip although I'm really missing both my bro's, but was good to catch up and great that all the family got together again.

As we grow up, we find we gradually move away from one another to forge out lives of our own. That's as it should be...it's part of God's plan for us all. Whilst being separated by geography, we can still be together as close as ever in a spiritual way - and this is how I feel about different family members of mine scattered around the globe.

It is interesting that the values we learnt from our parents remain with us into adult lives and hopefully those values will remain as strong within us so as we can pass them onto our children as our parents do within their own life times.

I'm beginning to ramble somewhat: I just wanted to say hello again to all my friends on this society and tell them that I missed you all whilst away.

How are you all keeping and is there anything current in your own lives that you would like to share?

Welcome back yawn :hello: Good to see you posting again. I'm glad you had a nice time with your brothers :smile:

Not much to report here: ill and miserable as usual. Struggling with the new missal still :sadnod: Seeing a Catholic priest for confession on Weds and working on untangling Oxford trauma with an Anglican priest :yes:
Reply 3499
Welcome back yawn :hello: Good to see you posting again. I'm glad you had a nice time with your brothers :smile:

Not much to report here: ill and miserable as usual. Struggling with the new missal still :sadnod: Seeing a Catholic priest for confession on Weds and working on untangling Oxford trauma with an Anglican priest :yes:

Whilst you might see negatives in what you mention, I see positives!

Struggling with the new Missal illustrates that you are not giving up. Do you want to share the reasons you are having difficulties with it? I might be able to help out. :smile:

Receiving the sacrament of Reconciliation means that you will benefit from the sacramental grace which will strengthen you spiritually.

Finally, the very fact that you are prepared to work on traumas that have caused you emotional pain, facing up to them and endeavouring to resolve the impact they've had on you shows great strength of character.

I fully understand how mental illness can cause us to see everything from a negative perspective...I've been there myself 'big time' in the past...and that matters which concern us are seen as much more important and insurmountable than they are when in a more positive frame of mind. If you can keep that in your thoughts, and remember that things will get better when you are feeling less fragile, it will help you through the darkest times especially when combined with that little prayer - "Jesus, I trust in You."

God bless you and I will continue to pray for you, my friend. :console:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending