The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya! Welcome to the Soc! :hugs:

I'm afraid I don't know about Catholics in York. Feel free to make yourself at home on this thread though :biggrin:

aw thank you! :hugs:

Original post by adamrules247
Hi! Just flying in and I will give you all an update on everything soon.

A quick google found this :smile:

http://www.york.ac.uk/univ/chap/societies/christian-societies.shtml#cassoc

http://yorkcassoc.weebly.com/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/groups/2242591096/

Should get you started :smile:

I read from an article here that York had a catholic society but never knew they had a complete website and such! thankssss :biggrin:
Reply 3821
Original post by Gulliviere

Original post by Gulliviere
I read from an article here that York had a catholic society but never knew they had a complete website and such! thankssss :biggrin:

Yup, I think they have quite an active cathsoc. They're the host university of the Northern Universities Catholic Societies this year, so I presume they must do.

Lindisfarne tomorrow :coma:
Original post by Aula
Lindisfarne tomorrow :coma:

Oooh, you lucky thing! I've heard it's very beautiful :yes:

I'm hoping to somehow get back to Lourdes this year :yes:
Reply 3823

Oooh, you lucky thing! I've heard it's very beautiful :yes:

I'm hoping to somehow get back to Lourdes this year :yes:

It is. It's lovely lovely lovely :h:
So excited. And then Ampleforth on Friday. Such a lovely week.

It's a bit strange though, it's definitely warmer up here than it is in the south.
Original post by Aula
It is. It's lovely lovely lovely :h:
So excited. And then Ampleforth on Friday. Such a lovely week.

It's a bit strange though, it's definitely warmer up here than it is in the south.

Oh wow! Are you on some kinda retreat week then? :smile:
Reply 3825

Oh wow! Are you on some kinda retreat week then? :smile:

Just half term, but my half term involves Durham, Lindisfarne and Ampleforth :h:
Original post by Aula
Just half term, but my half term involves Durham, Lindisfarne and Ampleforth :h:

That's a half term well spent :yep:
I'm doing an online Ignatian prayer adventure and thought I'd just pop a link on here, if anyone wants to do this during Lent:

http://ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-spiritual-exercises/an-ignatian-prayer-adventure/week-1/

:smile:
Reply 3828
Thanks TLG for the link. :hugs:

There is a new series starting next Thursday on BBC4 at 9pm entitled "Catholics." According to The Universe newspaper, it is a four-parter starting with one about seminarians embarked on their journey to priesthood. Should be interesting. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
Thanks TLG for the link. :hugs:

There is a new series starting next Thursday on BBC4 at 9pm entitled "Catholics." According to The Universe newspaper, it is a four-parter starting with one about seminarians embarked on their journey to priesthood. Should be interesting. :smile:

Oooh thanks for telling me about that! I must remember to watch that. I very much enjoyed that Young Nuns documentary they had a while back :yes:
hello...I'm lurking around as usual. I have a dilemma

my local church is verrrrry very awkward with their mass times. For a start they don't even have Sunday masses, not at all, it's kind of daft. They have mass on a Saturday evening (right in the middle of dinner time) and that's it...which might not be that bad for everybody normally, except that I have three young kids, and you know what tiddlers are like, routine is really important to keep them on track.

Anyway I digress.

I want to take the kids (at the very least my 6 year old...the younger two don't understand what's going on anyway) to mass tomorrow for Ash Wednesday.

Problem - the mass is at 7pm-8pm. She goes to bed at half 7, and it's a school night, and it's hard enough waking her up on a morning to get her to school as it is. She really doesn't concentrate well if she's tired and she gets in a really REALLY grumpy mood.
Also, she shares a room with her 4 year old brother (bunk beds) and he has a hard time sleeping by himself, and he has school the next day, so I wouldn't just have one tired child the next morning, I'd have two.
By the time we got back from church at 8pm, and then get her ready for bed, it'd be about half 8, so an hour past their bedtime.

The only other alternative is to go to a church that is further away, so not my local church, but that is a 9am tomorrow morning. My kids start school at 8.40am...so it would mean having to go and ask the headmaster for permission to remove the kids from school to take them to church, which would interfere with their lessons (and I'm not sure he would be very pleased about it, though he'd probably have to grant it because of not wanting to show religious discrimination I suppose, but it's really not ideal).

Their school is a non denominational school so there won't be any sort of service in school at all.

Failing that I suppose I could just give mass a miss and stay at home with them after school and read the bible a bit before bed, but I dunno if that's sufficient really.

UGH what would you do?
(edited 12 years ago)
That sounds really tricky PMP (can I call you that? :ninja: ). I really don't know what to suggest. Do you know what lessons your kids would be missing tomorrow if you took them to the early Mass further away?

Since your children are all quite young and given the circumstances, I'd personally say that explaining to them the significance of the day and Lent would be fine for now :hugs:
Reply 3832
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
hello...I'm lurking around as usual. I have a dilemma

my local church is verrrrry very awkward with their mass times. For a start they don't even have Sunday masses, not at all, it's kind of daft. They have mass on a Saturday evening (right in the middle of dinner time) and that's it...which might not be that bad for everybody normally, except that I have three young kids, and you know what tiddlers are like, routine is really important to keep them on track.

Anyway I digress.

I want to take the kids (at the very least my 6 year old...the younger two don't understand what's going on anyway) to mass tomorrow for Ash Wednesday.

Problem - the mass is at 7pm-8pm. She goes to bed at half 7, and it's a school night, and it's hard enough waking her up on a morning to get her to school as it is. She really doesn't concentrate well if she's tired and she gets in a really REALLY grumpy mood.
Also, she shares a room with her 4 year old brother (bunk beds) and he has a hard time sleeping by himself, and he has school the next day, so I wouldn't just have one tired child the next morning, I'd have two.
By the time we got back from church at 8pm, and then get her ready for bed, it'd be about half 8, so an hour past their bedtime.

The only other alternative is to go to a church that is further away, so not my local church, but that is a 9am tomorrow morning. My kids start school at 8.40am...so it would mean having to go and ask the headmaster for permission to remove the kids from school to take them to church, which would interfere with their lessons (and I'm not sure he would be very pleased about it, though he'd probably have to grant it because of not wanting to show religious discrimination I suppose, but it's really not ideal).

Their school is a non denominational school so there won't be any sort of service in school at all.

Failing that I suppose I could just give mass a miss and stay at home with them after school and read the bible a bit before bed, but I dunno if that's sufficient really.

UGH what would you do?

Hi, my friend - good to see you around again, it's been a long time!

I would find a church that has Sunday Masses first of all. Is there no Mass on a Sunday because of a shortage of priests, or maybe your Parish priest is having to cover Masses at another church because of extraordinary circumstances? One of our deanery priests died recently and until the Bishop appoints a new priest (if he does) our priest is having to say Mass there too. Obviously he can't be in two places at once so some of the Masses at the 'priest-less' church have had to be cut out leaving the parishioners with a limited choice for attendance.

I don't go to my local church, I go to one a bit further away...but I have a car so it's not too difficult for me. Can't you attend Sunday Masses at the other church you mentioned?

Regarding Ash Wednesday. In the normal course of events, Masses are provided both in the morning and in the evening to allow a choice for the congregation. Some parishioners work full time and can't get to Mass in the morning so evening Mass suits them. The church makes Catholic schools available for Catholic children who can attend Mass either in the local church during the school day to the school or in the school hall. In your case, since your children don't go to a Catholic school and can't have time off school to attend morning Mass without causing problems, and evening Mass is too late for them (even though it's only once a year?) you have no other options if you don't take them in the evening.

You can just ensure that they know that Ash Wednesday is part of the Liturgical Year in the Church, what the meaning is, and include the Lenten period in its entirety too. You could tell them that the palms that are used on Palm Sunday are burnt afterwards and it is the ashes from these palms that are used to mark the foreheads of the congregation as a sign of their humility - reminding them of the humility suffered by Jesus from His arrest, torture and crucifixion, all in the name of His love for us.

Remember that parents are their childrens first and most important teachers as it says in the Baptism service! As such, we are charged with teaching our children about the Catholic Church and its faith tenets, more especially important if they are not benefitting from a Catholic education at school.

God bless. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Anyway I digress.

UGH what would you do?

I'd personally just take them out of school and send them in late. It's important for them that they're around the Sacraments. I expect if you just say the words "religious" and "reason" the school will bow down backwards. A friend of mine was able to get time of her university course to go and see the Pope by basically saying that :P:
TLG (yes you can call me PMP) lol - thanks for your advice hun. No I don't know what lessons they'd be missing.

yawn - There aren't exactly tons of Catholics in my area. Actually the local Catholic school has far more non-Catholic kids than Catholics in it (I was told by the headmaster. It's a long story why my kids don't go there.) So there are three Catholic churches within a larger district. There's Wombwell church which is my local one, and then further afield there is Hoyland and Goldthorpe. All are considered to be the Corpus Christi Parish.
Wombwell gets Saturday evening mass, and then the other two get Sunday morning - one the earlier mass, and one later, I think they're 9am and 11am or thereabouts, though I've never been to those two churches. They are both a bit of a distance to my house, Wombwell is the one near me.
As there are not many Catholics in the area at all, the priests consider this to be sufficient in terms of masses that are available.
Reply 3835
TLG (yes you can call me PMP) lol - thanks for your advice hun. No I don't know what lessons they'd be missing.

yawn - So there are three Catholic churches within a larger district. There's Wombwell church which is my local one, and then further afield there is Hoyland and Goldthorpe. All are considered to be the Corpus Christi Parish.
Wombwell gets Saturday evening mass, and then the other two get Sunday morning - one the earlier mass, and one later, I think they're 9am and 11am or thereabouts, though I've never been to those two churches. They are both a bit of a distance to my house, Wombwell is the one near me.
As there are not many Catholics in the area at all, the priests consider this to be sufficient in terms of masses that are available.

I don't know whether you are aware, but each diocese was instructed to consult with all parishes within their deaneries, the future of the church and subsequent provision of Masses etc. This was necessitated by dwindling congregations and fewer vocations. Church-going Catholics contributed and made their suggestions as to how each deanery could provide for their congregations in light of fewer priests.

The outcome, as you have seen is that each Church will have at least one Sunday Mass (or Saturday vigil Mass) within that deanery area. It's not the ideal that our grandparents and parents were used to, having two or three priests in every church, but as I said about my own situation in my deanery, a priest cannot be in two places at once and it is our responsibility to ensure that we get to one of the Masses that are available providing we are fit, young and healthy enough to be able to walk there if we have no other means of transport, remembering that our elders living in remote communities would have had to walk up to five miles to get to Mass in some areas. I guess they were made of sterner stuff than us! :wink:

Incidentally, Canon Law states that if there are not enough places in a Catholic School to satisfy the demand from Catholics in the area, the Bishop is obligated to ensure that a Catholic school is provided even if a new one has to be built, since parents are obliged by Canon Law to ensure that their children receive a Catholic education. This doesn't necessarily have to be in a school building, it could be by providing lessons in the church before or after Mass, additional to the teaching that carries on in the home by the parents of the children.
I'm doing an online Ignatian prayer adventure and thought I'd just pop a link on here, if anyone wants to do this during Lent:

http://ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-spiritual-exercises/an-ignatian-prayer-adventure/week-1/

:smile:

Forgive me for randomly raising this, but, do you know the catastrophic history of the Jesuits? e.g. their imperialistic policies in China under Matteo Ricci. The Society of Jesus was so militant and deceptive that it was abandoned by the Pope in the 1770s.
Original post by yawn
I don't know whether you are aware, but each diocese was instructed to consult with all parishes within their deaneries, the future of the church and subsequent provision of Masses etc. This was necessitated by dwindling congregations and fewer vocations. Church-going Catholics contributed and made their suggestions as to how each deanery could provide for their congregations in light of fewer priests.

The outcome, as you have seen is that each Church will have at least one Sunday Mass (or Saturday vigil Mass) within that deanery area. It's not the ideal that our grandparents and parents were used to, having two or three priests in every church, but as I said about my own situation in my deanery, a priest cannot be in two places at once and it is our responsibility to ensure that we get to one of the Masses that are available providing we are fit, young and healthy enough to be able to walk there if we have no other means of transport, remembering that our elders living in remote communities would have had to walk up to five miles to get to Mass in some areas. I guess they were made of sterner stuff than us! :wink:

Incidentally, Canon Law states that if there are not enough places in a Catholic School to satisfy the demand from Catholics in the area, the Bishop is obligated to ensure that a Catholic school is provided even if a new one has to be built, since parents are obliged by Canon Law to ensure that their children receive a Catholic education. This doesn't necessarily have to be in a school building, it could be by providing lessons in the church before or after Mass, additional to the teaching that carries on in the home by the parents of the children.

No I wasn't aware of Canon Law actually.

Don't get me wrong, I do go to the Saturday masses at my local church, awkward as it is being at dinner time. I just make the kids eat dinner REALLY really quickly lol.

It was really just the problem of Ash Wednesday that was perplexing me somewhat.
Can someone on here in simple terms explain to me what the hell Calvinism is? Thank You :h:
I don't seem to understand it in class, and when i asked the teacher she mocked the hell out of me :hahaha:
So I'll rather figure it out myself then ask them. :smile:
I'm just looking for some advice; I'm Catholic but yet I self harm. Will He forgive me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending