The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

yawn
Yeah - all things considered, it was pretty stupid, wasn't it? :biggrin:

And so the mystery of my subscription is solved.
Reply 721
Fluent in Lies
And so the mystery of my subscription is solved.

It was elementary, dear Watson!

How are you anyway...long time no see? :smile:
I'm a-ok thanks! In fact if there were a letter better than 'A' I would be that.
Reply 723
Fluent in Lies
I'm a-ok thanks! In fact if there were a letter better than 'A' I would be that.

I'm pleased you're well. :smile: It's always good to see 'old' TSR's
oooh 2 days to oct 06! *is immature and excited*
why is is that there are so few professional (eg lawyers/doctors/accountancts/investmenat bankers) Catholics or indeed christians? our CU at uni is all nurses and teachers, and always has been, and no one at church has any of these types of jobs. how comes? what do you all do?
Reply 725
shinytoy
why is is that there are so few professional (eg lawyers/doctors/accountancts/investmenat bankers) Catholics or indeed christians? our CU at uni is all nurses and teachers, and always has been, and no one at church has any of these types of jobs. how comes? what do you all do?

I don't think you can generalise like that, shinytoy. I know plenty of people from within those professions who are practicing Catholics. Many go to my Church and lots of them offer their services for free for very needy parishoners. They don't tend to brag about their employment status since that is not a trait we would expect from a follower of Christ.

My brother is going to be working as an IBer. I've already put in my request for some money when he is rolling in it! He has already said he feels a little guilty about earning so much money and I've reassured him that he can give much of it away to charitable causes.

Any gift we have, whether it is a natural talent or a flair for making money should be used for the good of mankind.
yawn
I'm pleased you're well. :smile: It's always good to see 'old' TSR's

Whatabout you? How goes?
Reply 727
Fluent in Lies
Whatabout you? How goes?

Well, thank you.

Keeping up my end amongst the self-opinionated on Debate & Discussion (I include myself amongst them, I hasten to add :biggrin: )
Reply 728
why is is that there are so few professional (eg lawyers/doctors/accountancts/investmenat bankers) Catholics or indeed christians?

I know many! But as has been said I dont think we would like to advertise our jobs!
its just that at my church everyone is old and retired and used to be war verterans and stuff. i'm going to be an accountant, im doing a law degree. i dont want to work in law as its so hard to get into, and i'd prefer an easier life. but at Deloitte, no one seemed to be religious. would you agree that the % of IBers/accountants/lawyers etc who are religiously catholic is less than the % of nurses/teachers? also i want to marry someone who has a similar career to my own, but i dont see how to find any. i saw www.executivecatholics.com but it was only concerned with how much they were earning. a career is a major common interest and i dont know where all these catholic professionals go.

also did your bro feel that God called him to be an IBer? i dont know if God wants me to do a masters in human rights then go and help the Ugandans?

also does anyone on here agree with not using birth control? i want to spend time with my baby when i have one, but i wont qualify as an accountant for another 3 years and am unlikely to get a massive career break before im qualified. so maybe its best to try not to have a baby before then. but i want to marry young because not having a boyfriend dating or havingg sex for 4 years is a long time.

*is ranting....goes and does boring work*
Reply 730
also does anyone on here agree with not using birth control?

The Catholic Church frowns upon the use of artificial contraceptives, though there are natural family planning methods but they aren't exactly 100% (then again no contraceptive is 100%!)

so maybe its best to try not to have a baby before then. but i want to marry young because not having a boyfriend dating or havingg sex for 4 years is a long time.

You should decide weather you are willing to accept the Church's decision, and weather a family is important to you. But interestingly you mention the use of birth control, but the Church also frowns upon sex before-marriage.

I suppose if you found a devout Catholic you wouldn't have a problem! :wink:
Napoleon
The Catholic Church frowns upon the use of artificial contraceptives, though there are natural family planning methods but they aren't exactly 100% (then again no contraceptive is 100%!)

You should decide weather you are willing to accept the Church's decision, and weather a family is important to you. But interestingly you mention the use of birth control, but the Church also frowns upon sex before-marriage.

I suppose if you found a devout Catholic you wouldn't have a problem! :wink:

*rep* thanks - yes i accept the churches decision, by birth control i mean contraception with my husband in marriage. having a family is important to me, but i think it will be hard to balance with my career but at the same time it will also be hard to stay virgin until age 25/6 when i qualify as an accountant. so i want to marry young.

does anyone personally agree with the use of conrtaception in marriage? our priest says he dosnt agree and think it should be allowed.
Reply 732
does anyone personally agree with the use of conrtaception in marriage? our priest says he dosnt agree and think it should be allowed.

He doesn't agree with contracption in marriage? or that he doesn't agree with Church doctrine?

Priests shouldn't be opposing Church doctrine!
i read that 70% of priests think contraception in marriage should be allowed, but i thinknkk they also including my priest are referring to aids in africa spreading from one spouse to the other and creating hiv+ kids
Reply 734
i read that 70% of priests think contraception in marriage should be allowed, but i thinknkk they also including my priest are referring to aids in africa spreading from one spouse to the other and creating hiv+ kids

There is no way that 70% of Priests think contraception should be allowed in marriage!

Why would it be any difference to have contraception in marriage than outside it?
using contraception outside marriage means you must be having extra- or premaritial sex which i agree is totally wrong. however in the marriage, you are just having it with your husband/wife
Reply 736
Napoleon
There is no way that 70% of Priests think contraception should be allowed in marriage!

Why would it be any difference to have contraception in marriage than outside it?

Because whilst pre-marital sex isn't right, I fully intend to have as much sex as I want with my husband and not have loads of babies. Hence, once married, I'd expect him to use a condom, and me be on the Pill until we decided that the time was right to have a child. And if he was to have a problem with that arrangement - he can go to hell. I'm not a baby machine.

Reply 737
shinytoy

Meh, the actholic guys I know are mainly physicists/engineers/mathmos. Bleh.
Reply 738
Because whilst pre-marital sex isn't right, I fully intend to have as much sex as I want with my husband and not have loads of babies.

An "a la carte" look to Catholic doctrine then? ;-)
Reply 739
Because whilst pre-marital sex isn't right, I fully intend to have as much sex as I want with my husband and not have loads of babies.

An "a la carte" look to Catholic doctrine then? ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending