The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old School
I can empathise with your situation. Like you, I was severely overweight but hated the idea of being 'small'.

Eventually, after spinning my wheels for too long I kicked my ego into touch and got down to the unpleasent business of losing weight.

I got smaller. I got weaker. It was the toughest thing I've ever done or likely ever will do.

I got down to a healthy weight. I was pretty damn lean but small, so as far as I was concerned my hawt abz didn't count.

Then I bulked. My strength and size shot up in no time yet I was still lean (didn't get no stretch marks either 'cos I used to be a fattie :wink:).

Bottom line is you need to get down to a reasonable weight and body comp first, then bulk like a crazyass mother****er. Then you'll look the way you want. Seriously, this is the only way that will work.

In order for you to achieve the look you want you need to stop fart-arseing around with your 'slow and steady' approach and entertaining silly ideas like trying to recomp.

A) You are a woman
B) You are 30

Neither of these things are conducive to building a muscular phsyique. It can be done though and I really hope that you do get where you want to be. You just need to take the right approach- as much as it sucks.

Apologies for the length of this post...

This is exactly what I am trying to say to her but she thinks I am telling her to be to thin. Yes you may have to get thin for a short while but then you can bulk after

Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
what makes you think i will have to go that low to start with though

you dont know that and neither do i, you dont know what weight i could go down to with weight training any more than i do

hell last year at 12 stone i still looked like i was 14 stone because i didnt exercise at all!

ive already lost 2 inches on my waist, i only lost 2 inches last year when i went from 14 and a half to 12 stone 1, im heavier now and ive already lost 2 inches despite only losing 17.75lbs

last year i lost no inches on my hips, ive already lost 3 inches so far

weight training makes a hell of a difference

Again you are missing the point of my post
(edited 12 years ago)
I can empathise with your situation. Like you, I was severely overweight but hated the idea of being 'small'.

Eventually, after spinning my wheels for too long I kicked my ego into touch and got down to the unpleasent business of losing weight.

I got smaller. I got weaker. It was the toughest thing I've ever done or likely ever will do.

I got down to a healthy weight. I was pretty damn lean but small, so as far as I was concerned my hawt abz didn't count.

Then I bulked. My strength and size shot up in no time yet I was still lean (didn't get no stretch marks either 'cos I used to be a fattie :wink:).

Bottom line is you need to get down to a reasonable weight and body comp first, then bulk like a crazyass mother****er. Then you'll look the way you want. Seriously, this is the only way that will work.

In order for you to achieve the look you want you need to stop fart-arseing around with your 'slow and steady' approach and entertaining silly ideas like trying to recomp.

A) You are a woman
B) You are 30

Neither of these things are conducive to building a muscular phsyique. It can be done though and I really hope that you do get where you want to be. You just need to take the right approach- as much as it sucks.

Apologies for the length of this post...

no need for apologies

the only reason i want to do it slow and steady is because i want to keep it off, last year i did it fast then gave up half way through, it needs to be something i can stick to and not give up on which is slow and steady

tbh if anything im losing 2-3lbs now most weeks so its not as slow as i thought it would be, its picked up despite upping my cals

im training now though unlike last year

i havnt lost strength, if anything ive got stronger :confused:
Original post by Chrisateen

Again you are missing the point of my post

again, im not missing anything at all
no need for apologies

the only reason i want to do it slow and steady is because i want to keep it off, last year i did it fast then gave up half way through, it needs to be something i can stick to and not give up on which is slow and steady

tbh if anything im losing 2-3lbs now most weeks so its not as slow as i thought it would be, its picked up despite upping my cals

im training now though unlike last year

i havnt lost strength, if anything ive got stronger :confused:

Grats for missing the point of my post.

Time is not on your side. 2-3lbs loss/week is not enough for your goals.

If you want it bad enough you wouldn't give up. No matter how **** things got. I didn't.

When combined with correct diet/exercise you will keep the fat off no matter how fast you lose it. You'll only put it back on if your revert to old habbits.

If you want it bad enough you wouldn't give up. No matter how **** things got. I didn't.

When combined with correct diet/exercise you will keep the fat off no matter how fast you lose it. You'll only put it back on if your revert to old habbits.

which i will do if i go too restrictive, thats the mistake i did last year!

lol who said i have a time limit, i never set myself one, i dont know why you are setting me one, i do not have a time limit to do this in, ffs you are talking like im going in for a competition in a few weeks, im in it for the long haul, if it takes years it takes years, i do not care
which i will do if i go too restrictive, thats the mistake i did last year!

lol who said i have a time limit, i never set myself one, i dont know why you are setting me one, i do not have a time limit to do this in, ffs you are talking like im going in for a competition in a few weeks, im in it for the long haul, if it takes years it takes years, i do not care

That's your problem that you need to sort.

There isn't a time limit, no. What I'm trying to say is that your best muscle building days are long gone. The longer it takes for you to shift the fat the less time you will have to build muscle.

Even if you started from a healthy weight right now you would likely never achieve the look of a bodybuilder simply because your testosterone levels are so low (a natural byproduct of being a woman, and north of 25).

Thing is Tink, it would be awesome to see you succeed. Simply because there aren't enough men let alone women who want to embrace the bodybuilding lifestyle in the world. Your intentions are good, you're just going the wrong way about it.
im not missing the point at all

yes you are missing the point
That's your problem that you need to sort.

There isn't a time limit, no. What I'm trying to say is that your best muscle building days are long gone. The longer it takes for you to shift the fat the less time you will have to build muscle.

Even if you started from a healthy weight right now you would likely never achieve the look of a bodybuilder simply because your testosterone levels are so low (a natural byproduct of being a woman, and north of 25).

Thing is Tink, it would be awesome to see you succeed. Simply because there aren't enough men let alone women who want to embrace the bodybuilding lifestyle in the world. Your intentions are good, you're just going the wrong way about it.

if you have a look on the BB.com forum theres loads of women whove transformed after 30

there was something in the DM a few weeks ago about a 74 year old woman who got into BB when she was 50 something, never too late as she said

you're the first person aside from my OH whos said that
Reply 48
got banned from one for calling someone who wasnt even on the forum a slut

Not UK-M and Jodie Marsh?
Original post by McHumpy92
Not UK-M and Jodie Marsh?

no wasnt jodie marsh

dont know what UK-M forum is
if you have a look on the BB.com forum theres loads of women whove transformed after 30

there was something in the DM a few weeks ago about a 74 year old woman who got into BB when she was 50 something, never too late as she said

you're the first person aside from my OH whos said that

As far as BBing goes, I help and encourage anyone who shows a genuine interest. I'm still small and weak (by BBing standards) so my advice may not be spot on, but everyone deserves encouragement and anyone who calls themselves a BBer can and should provide that no matter how far down the road they are.

True. But why wait? I'm sure you have your reasons etc. etc.

However, the earlier you get into proper BBing the better you will look.

I kick myself every day for being a fatass and wasting my teen years. First I didn't train properly, despite the abundence of kickass advice that was all around me. Then, when I did start training properly I thought just 'being strong' would be enough. It wasn't, and I still looked like ****.

I wasn't able to start getting big properly until after I turned 20. I am never going to get my best years back and I just hate to see anyone else making that same mistake.

Your 'best years' are now. Use them.
As far as BBing goes, I help and encourage anyone who shows a genuine interest. I'm still small and weak (by BBing standards) so my advice may not be spot on, but everyone deserves encouragement and anyone who calls themselves a BBer can and should provide that no matter how far down the road they are.

True. But why wait? I'm sure you have your reasons etc. etc.

However, the earlier you get into proper BBing the better you will look.

I kick myself every day for being a fatass and wasting my teen years. First I didn't train properly, despite the abundence of kickass advice that was all around me. Then, when I did start training properly I thought just 'being strong' would be enough. It wasn't, and I still looked like ****.

I wasn't able to start getting big properly until after I turned 20. I am never going to get my best years back and I just hate to see anyone else making that same mistake.

Your 'best years' are now. Use them.

arent you like 98kg? or am i thinking of someone else

i figure if i lose 1lb per week (and tbh im losing more than that but just say for arguments sake its 1lb) so 4lbs a month, by this time next year (12 months) i would have lost 48lbs which will make me 151.75lbs which is 10 stone 11

whever i hear people talking about weight loss they always say slow and steady, arnie says in his book to not lose more than 2lbs per week as you will start to lose muscle

over christmas i wont be on a cut at all, after new year, i have all the way till next christmas before something comes along that i will put the cut on the back burner for but by next christmas i will be thinking about bulking
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52

2-3 lbs a week is good as long as she keeps it up. That's a hell of a lot of weight in say 6 months.
arent you like 98kg? or am i thinking of someone else

i figure if i lose 1lb per week (and tbh im losing more than that but just say for arguments sake its 1lb) so 4lbs a month, by this time next year (12 months) i would have lost 48lbs which will make me 151.75lbs which is 10 stone 11

whever i hear people talking about weight loss they always say slow and steady, arnie says in his book to not lose more than 2lbs per week as you will start to lose muscle

over christmas i wont be on a cut at all, after new year, i have all the way till next christmas before something comes along that i will put the cut on the back burner for but by next christmas i will be thinking about bulking

96kg.

You have a plan and it seems like you're sticking to it. If it works for you then go nuts.

I guess me (and others on here) need to understand that what worked for us may not work for someone else.

I'll still throw down ideas in your threads though... :-P
96kg.

You have a plan and it seems like you're sticking to it. If it works for you then go nuts.

I guess me (and others on here) need to understand that what worked for us may not work for someone else.

I'll still throw down ideas in your threads though... :-P

what do you want to be?

cheers, its definitely working

BINGO!, i wish more people would understand this, in arnies book he said some BBs go 6 days diet and one cheat day which is what im doing, he said the old style BBs worked their entire body one day and then had the next 6 days off, he talks about all sorts of different ways to train and eat and he does mention its about finding something that works for you

go for it dude :biggrin: just please dont be pissed if sometimes i dont use your ideas
what do you want to be?

cheers, its definitely working

BINGO!, i wish more people would understand this, in arnies book he said some BBs go 6 days diet and one cheat day which is what im doing, he said the old style BBs worked their entire body one day and then had the next 6 days off, he talks about all sorts of different ways to train and eat and he does mention its about finding something that works for you

go for it dude :biggrin: just please dont be pissed if sometimes i dont use your ideas

Dunno, I'd like to hit around 250-260lbs off season 230-240 contest (obviously as a natty I would have to sacrifice craaazy leanness to be that size, though I've always preferred the look of the larger- though somewhat softer- guys). Though really I'd just like to see how big I can get without reverting to fatass mode...
(edited 12 years ago)
Dunno, I'd like to hit around 250-260lbs off season 230-240 contest. Though really I'd just like to see how big I can get without reverting to fatass mode...

sounds like youve done really well

what did you weigh when you were overweight?

Latest