The Student Room Group

Well respected A levels?

Scroll to see replies

What do you think of mine and my friends chosen A-levels?

Me- maths, bio, pysch, english lit, MAYBE critical thinking (want to do a pysch degree)

Heather- English lit, Englisg lang, classics, photograph (english teacher)

Amber- English lang, maths, media studies, pysch (engish degree)

We chose what we like but would all like to go to topish unis.
XxJaninexX
What do you think of mine and my friends chosen A-levels?

Me- maths, bio, pysch, english lit, MAYBE critical thinking (want to do a pysch degree)

Heather- English lit, Englisg lang, classics, photograph (english teacher)

Amber- English lang, maths, media studies, pysch (engish degree)

We chose what we like but would all like to go to topish unis.

You- fine. Psychology is one of the less respected subjects, but your others are good and it's what you want to do at uni, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Heather- also fine. Photography probably isn't that respected, but the others are good.

Amber- media studies and psychology aren't that respected, but the others are good. One thing I would say though is that you need English lit rather than lang for most top uni English degrees, unless she specifically wants to do a lang degree or something like linguistics.

Overall those choices sound good. You enjoy them, which is the most important thing, and as long as your choices include at least 2 traditional subjects, that should keep unis happy.
Reply 102
Obviously it is relevant to the degree course/university you are applying for (as some people have mentioned). Of course it also depends on how snooty the admissions tutor who looks at your UCAS form will be. But remember, this thread is about the "most respected" A-levels and not the "hardest".

From my own intuition, other people's opinions (teachers, admissions tutors, lecturers, uni deans etc), I would list the subjects in three tiers of respectability, thus (and not in order within the tier):

TOP TIER (Tres well respected):

English literature
History
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Geography
Art
Music
Economics
French, German, Spanish, Latin (all the languages)
Maths

(These top tier subjects tend to be core academic subjects which are intellectually challenging, but crucially, have been going a long time. Fail safe.).

MIDDLE TIER (respected by most):

Sociology
Psychology
RE
Business Studies
ICT
Law
English language

etc

LOWER TIER (hmmm):

Media Studies
PE
Travel & Tourism
Photography
Computing
General Studies
Critical Thinking (I think it's more of a low than a medium but it is borderline)

etc

Obviously this is all relevant. If you are studying Physiotherapy or something at uni, PE might well be an asset. If you are applying for law, it most likely will not be.
Reply 103
zhivago
Obviously it is relevant to the degree course/university you are applying for (as some people have mentioned). Of course it also depends on how snooty the admissions tutor who looks at your UCAS form will be. But remember, this thread is about the "most respected" A-levels and not the "hardest".

From my own intuition, other people's opinions (teachers, admissions tutors, lecturers, uni deans etc), I would list the subjects in three tiers of respectability, thus (and not in order within the tier):

TOP TIER (Tres well respected):

English literature
History
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Geography
Art
Music
Economics
French, German, Spanish, Latin (all the languages)
Maths

(These top tier subjects tend to be core academic subjects which are intellectually challenging, but crucially, have been going a long time. Fail safe.).

MIDDLE TIER (respected by most):

Sociology
Psychology
RE
Business Studies
ICT
Law
English language

etc

LOWER TIER (hmmm):

Media Studies
PE
Travel & Tourism
Photography
Computing
General Studies
Critical Thinking (I think it's more of a low than a medium but it is borderline)

etc

Obviously this is all relevant. If you are studying Physiotherapy or something at uni, PE might well be an asset. If you are applying for law, it most likely will not be.

What on earth are you talking about? Computing is often considered one of the hardest subjects and is well respected.
Reply 104
Bis
What on earth are you talking about? Computing is often considered one of the hardest subjects and is well respected.

I'm not saying it's not hard, but from what people have said (Oxbridge tutors, other lecturers etc), it isn't that respected. People who choose to do Computing don't seem like the most interesting individuals to be honest, but that's irrelevant because it's just my personal opinion. (No offence). Computing is obviously something of substance, but from what I'm led to believe it's akin to all the other courses, such as Sociology, offered at A-level (substantially watered down and better off left to degree level).

An 11 year old could pass it. (http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2194966.stm)
I take Physics/Chemistry/Biology/CT/Maths and ICT

ICT is by no means a micky mouse subject, but if you ask be its very easy to get an A in. It's just a biatch of a subject because of the endless amount of crap you have to do for your CW. Reams and reams of crap.

EDIT: ICT doesn't require any intelligence at all, just a fair bit of work. Come to think of it, Biology is the same. Actually, the only subjects that I really have to apply myself in are Physics and Chemistry, maybe maths, so I guess that's why they're more respected, in ICT/Biology and so forth you are just memorizing heaps of useless crap.

I think its REALLY UNFAIR that someone with A's in A levels in Sociology/Psychology/History/IT can take my place at university. I'm very happy to see that the majority of the higher tier universities recognise this.
Epitomessence
I know that universities value some subjects more than others. Out of curiousity, which are the ones they consider good, which are the ones they consider bad, and which are the ones they consider ugly?

And how do they feel towards R.S. and Politics?

Why oh why oh why are you asking a bunch of 16-20 yr olds what admissions tutors think?

If you honestly truley want to know which A levels are respected by admissions tutors then ASK THEM. Most universities it's possible to find contact details for admissions tutors, send them an email asking what they would think of the combination of subjects you're considering. ATs are human beings (well some of the engineering admissions tutors are borderline:wink:) and they generally respond quickly and positively to genuine enquiries - especially from someone showing such early interest in their subject and university.

I've spoken to more admissions tutors this morning than have posted on this thread and to be perfectly honest the vast majority of posts on this thread are ill informed at best and utter *******s at worst.:biggrin:
Inkerman
I think its REALLY UNFAIR that someone with A's in A levels in Sociology/Psychology/History/IT can take my place at university. I'm very happy to see that the majority of the higher tier universities recognise this.

What are you on about? I know sociology, psychology and ICT aren't that well respected, but history is one of the most respected subjects you can take! And you come across as extremely arrogant by assuming that you deserve a place at university more than anyone else just because you think your subjects are harder.
PQ
Why oh why oh why are you asking a bunch of 16-20 yr olds what admissions tutors think?

If you honestly truley want to know which A levels are respected by admissions tutors then ASK THEM. Most universities it's possible to find contact details for admissions tutors, send them an email asking what they would think of the combination of subjects you're considering. ATs are human beings (well some of the engineering admissions tutors are borderline:wink:) and they generally respond quickly and positively to genuine enquiries - especially from someone showing such early interest in their subject and university.

I've spoken to more admissions tutors this morning than have posted on this thread and to be perfectly honest the vast majority of posts on this thread are ill informed at best and utter *******s at worst.:biggrin:

Says it all
zhivago
An 11 year old could pass it.

Well, shock horror dum dum DUUUUUMMM that proves a lot. Similarly Maths is not well respected, because a 10 year old can pass it. :rolleyes:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/education/884023.stm
supercat
All this "respected A-Levels" stuff is a lot of nonsense in my opinion! I know it's an issue because the unis make it one, but it does grate that people feel they have to choose 'respected' subjects. If they work hard, they'll get good grades (or at least achieve to the best of their ability), whereas if they don't, they simply won't. It's also clear that some people have talents in different places; it seems completely unfair that a candidate feels bad for choosing a subject such as ICT when that is what they are good at. You might say they should do Computing instead, but not all centres offer this (mine, for instance, did not).

You might say I'm biased; I take English Lit, German, Psychology and Media (dropped ICT last year). I do have a mix of the traditional and the so-called Mickey Mouse subjects. But I put in an equal amount of work for all of them. Psychology, for example, is extremely difficult; there is a lot to know and as well as that you have to be able to analyse it rather than just rote learning. Last year in January exams, most people got Us! And it's not like our school isn't good, either. As for media, yes, I find it challenging. We learn endless amounts of theory, and I'm currently in the middle of my coursework which is difficult. The media (ironically) gives it a bad press because it's a new subject, but then English Literature used to be laughed at too.

It saddens me that unis can't see this, but that's just the way it is. Don't let them be the be-all and end-all of your decisions, but make sure you have a couple of traditional subjects to appease them.

So where do we draw the line? A Level Playstation Studies?

The point of a qualification is not to enjoy it, it is to prove your intelligence and knowledge.

If you look at the vast majority of people that do traditional subjects, they are very clever. The vast majority that do vocational subjects chose so because they dont like academic subjects> because they arent good at them > less clever.

We do not customise qualifications just so those who arent good enough for academic subjects can select ones they like. If they cannot cope with the main subjects then they shouldnt be doing A Levels!

The only reason the %pass rate for A Levels is increasing is because of mickey mouse subjects being taken into account!
dragons_circle
Well, shock horror dum dum DUUUUUMMM that proves a lot. Similarly Maths is not well respected, because a 10 year old can pass it. :rolleyes:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/education/884023.stm

1) i cannot see the point in taking it early unless you get an A, unless you are going to retake the next year. Otherwise its pointless

-"i took A Level Maths when i was 10"

"what did you get?"

-"a B grade, but i was 10 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"so? who says you've improved to A Grade standard since?"

etc etc

2) Mickey mouse subjects were just created so that people that couldnt hack real subjects wouldnt feel left out. Im not sure int othe history of most of them, but it wouldnt2) surprise me if labour conjuered them up at all!
Reply 112
zhivago
I'm not saying it's not hard, but from what people have said (Oxbridge tutors, other lecturers etc), it isn't that respected. People who choose to do Computing don't seem like the most interesting individuals to be honest, but that's irrelevant because it's just my personal opinion. (No offence). Computing is obviously something of substance, but from what I'm led to believe it's akin to all the other courses, such as Sociology, offered at A-level (substantially watered down and better off left to degree level).

From what I've heard it is well respected though. The fact that you classify it below ICT is pretty ludicrous.

zhivago

And? A 9 year old has got an A in maths at A-level before, which is on your 'high tier' list.
Reply 113
sarahjane48
I'm planning on takin Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry/Economics for A level. I know these subjects are all 'well looked' upon, but that is not the reason I chose them, I chose them purely because they are my strongest subjects and I find them most interesting.

I do all of those! I think if you like both chemistry and economics, then you should take them both, as (in our school at least) there's barely any work for economics aside from the coursework...and chemistry and economics are the easiest out of those 5 (in my opinion anyway)..:p:
Which uni? But most unis take Critcal Thinking, when Ir ead sites most of them just dont accept general studies, but no mention of critical thinking.

Why won't you get a grade, AFAIK its a proper AS level. My school says it helps to distinguishe good and better students et.c..
(edited 2 years ago)
futureaussiecto
i cannot see the point in taking it early unless you get an A, unless you are going to retake the next year. Otherwise its pointless

So unless it suits your purpose, you ignore the facts. I personally find a 10 year old getting a B in A level maths impressive; may I ask what you are expecting to get? And if it is an A (which I suspect, flicking through your previous posts) why aren't you doing it early?

And I definitely agree with bis, computing rather outranks ICT for respectability.
Reply 116
The 11 year old thing was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, it was a joke. :smile: Ok then, computing is the exception, I'm only going on what I've been told anyway.
Why are people indulging in A-Level genital comparison?
dragons_circle
So unless it suits your purpose, you ignore the facts. I personally find a 10 year old getting a B in A level maths impressive; may I ask what you are expecting to get? And if it is an A (which I suspect, flicking through your previous posts) why aren't you doing it early?

And I definitely agree with bis, computing rather outranks ICT for respectability.

It is impressive, but who's to say that the 10yr old progresses to A grade standard? He only has a B, until he has an A hes still the same as a 16yr old with a B.

Firstly with regards to your second comment i took 3 MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECTS, none of them are recognised by my choices! I got AA on a Double AVCE ICT course, taught it myself in a year and thats not even recognised. So there you have it, first hand experience of the rubbish that is taught.

Nobody in my school was allowed to take qualifications early, which was stupid because lots of us could have (state grammar).

Yes i am expecting A's- but i am teaching myself for these subjects (Maths, Eco, Physics and AS F Maths)
I did Media Studies, and I would definitely say it was the hardest of my three A-Levels. I found Business Studies and English Language (okay I haven't finished it yet, but I'm on course for an A) pretty straightforward as although there is a lot on the syllabus, it is by no means necessary to know it all for the exams/coursework. For both subjects, it is also possible to follow a prepared 'structured' answer for every question to (easily) ensure that you get the top marks.

I had to work extremely hard in Media Studies to get my A. It's not just watching films, you have to analyse several different forms of media with a LOT of academic theorists in mind. It's a lot harder than most people will think. Only about 10 people got As in my (state) sixth form (ranked 9th best in the country) out of about 80. I don't care what anyone says, I believe you have to be very intelligent to get an A in Media Studies. They don't call them advanced levels for no reason...

I would say Business Studies is a borderline middle/upper tier subject. Although it is 'blacklisted', it is still very academic and people with Business Studies A Level still manage get into top unis such as Oxbridge and LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest