The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SHANDY
around nearly a year now im only 14 yet

Don't go too hard too young. It can give serious health problems later. It can also make it harder to stay in shape if your metabolism is affected too much.
Reply 21
SHANDY
around nearly a year now im only 14 yet

Youve been doing it for a year and you can only curl 25kg? Youve definately been doing it wrong. For a start, I wouldnt recommend weight training at 14, there is still a significant amount of growing you need to do. Secondly - you should be doing a range of exercise, not just curls and bench press.

Try doing, curls, bench press, lat pulldowns, barbell shrugs, reverse fly etc. Now, you should be doing about 8 reps before you cant do anymore...so, your first session, you do 8 reps x 25. The next time you go, you do a different work out, doing different exercise. So say, one day you do curls bench press next day you do barbell shrugs rverse fly lat pulldowns etc. ( you get the picture). Now next time you come to do curls, you should be aiming for about 8 x 30. And then next time, 8 x 35 etc...obviously you can only do this for so long, in which case youll need to do 12 x 35, 14 x 35, 16 x35 and then do 8 x 40 or whatever. Youll know what to do, but it is absolutely useless doing loads of reps at the same weight, as soon as you can do more than 12 reps at a particular weight its time to try a harder weight.
Reply 22
pal_sch
Don't go too hard too young. It can give serious health problems later. It can also make it harder to stay in shape if your metabolism is affected too much.

na trust me im ok with it i look around 18 im over 6 foot just wanna get a bit of bulk
Reply 23
You dont look around 18, and how old you look is totally irrelevant. Like I said, 14 is too young to start doing weights, you should wait until youre 16 - most gyms wont even let you in until youre 16.
Reply 24
imasillynarb
You dont look around 18, and how old you look is totally irrelevant. Like I said, 14 is too young to start doing weights, you should wait until youre 16 - most gyms wont even let you in until youre 16.

i already go gym

loads of them i can get into any
Reply 25
SHANDY
i already go gym

loads of them i can get into any

Youre totally missing the point dude..
Reply 26
imasillynarb
Youre totally missing the point dude..

yeh i know what u mean 14 is too young to do waits but i cant help it
Thanks for mentioning about pressups only burning calories, good thing I haven't been able to do them then :smile:. Actually I had to do them last week for being late to a chemistry lesson, the wrist excuse wasn't working and next day wrist was not happy :frown: I'm always on time now though :wink:
Reply 28
this thread has some of the worst advice I've ever read but what do you expect...this is uk-learning.

try bodybuilding.com
Reply 29
hattori
this thread has some of the worst advice I've ever read but what do you expect...this is uk-learning.

try www.bodybuilding.com

You're such a fucking idiot. Trying doing some of this stuff for yourself and getting some 'real' results, rather than just reading some website and taking what it says as gospel - when its actually totally bollocks.
imasillynarb
You're such a fucking idiot. Trying doing some of this stuff for yourself and getting some 'real' results, rather than just reading some website and taking what it says as gospel - when its actually totally bollocks.

listen to the narb and you will go far
Reply 31
you shouldn't do any weights till youve nearly stopped growing, kos it kan have serious side effects. eg, putting weights above your neck level, especially heavly loads, kan stunt your growth, mess up your spine and screw up your back.

if ur 14, you should be just doin like, pressups, running and stuff, light exercise, its good for your health.

when you get to 18, then do some weights, but do it gradually.
Reply 32
imasillynarb
Go to the gym every other day, do an alternate routine. For example, so youre doing the same routine every OTHER visit to the gym. You want to be doing about 8 reps of each exercise before you 'fail'. Remember to increase the amount you are lifting, or the number of reps EVERY session. If you fail to improve 3 sessions in a row, reduce training frequency(go every 3rd day rather than every other day).

With regards to eating, do NOT increase the amount you eat, eat normally. If you can, try and eat foods with a higher protein content.

i wouldnt say increase the reps every session. id say about evry 2 weeks as the muscles need time to adapt
SasunD
you shouldn't do any weights till youve nearly stopped growing, kos it kan have serious side effects. eg, putting weights above your neck level, especially heavly loads, kan stunt your growth, mess up your spine and screw up your back.

if ur 14, you should be just doin like, pressups, running and stuff, light exercise, its good for your health.

when you get to 18, then do some weights, but do it gradually.

This is very good advice. There is a reason why professional rugby clubs dont try to 'bulk up' their forwards until 16-18.

Latest

Trending

Trending