The Student Room Group

14 years old and currently 82.6kgs

Hi, I am 14 years old and currently 82.6kgs(very overweight). I seriously need to make a change at home I only have dumbbells and a bar.Should I lose weight then gain muscle or is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time by doing weights but also cardio.Also if you have any tips on losing weight and/or gaining muscle please help.

Ps- I already know the fundamentals of losing weight eg.Caloric deficit
Original post by js234
Hi, I am 14 years old and currently 82.6kgs(very overweight). I seriously need to make a change at home I only have dumbbells and a bar.Should I lose weight then gain muscle or is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time by doing weights but also cardio.Also if you have any tips on losing weight and/or gaining muscle please help.

Ps- I already know the fundamentals of losing weight eg.Caloric deficit

From what I know, being overweight means you can both build muscle and lose weight at the same time, at least initially. Probably because weight training as your form of exercise is a) going to make you stronger and b) going to make you lose weight, simply because it's excercise.

However, this doesn't last forever, you'll hit a plateau, and at a point you will need to decide - do you want to continue to build muscle (gain weight again/bulk) or to lose weight (referred to as a cut). Many professionals cycle between these, building muscle in a bulk, and then showing it all off (but losing some) in a cut. I'm guessing you knew that part though.

Then again, don't cheat yourself out of cardio. Your lungs and heart will thank you for that one lol

Either way, best of luck to you on your journey!

Quick Reply

Latest