The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

What are the chances of being accepted on to the Engineering Foundation with a BTEC?

I applied to get on to the Foundation course at loughborough in 2008 having taken the following A-levels Physics, Psychology and ICT, due to some personal problems i was not able to acheive the grades i would have liked, i got an E for physics and D's in Psychology and ICT. At that time i received offers from Aston uni to do mechanical engineering and aerospace technology at coventry, i did not accept the offers in the end as it has always been my desire to go loughborough university to study aeronautical engineering. Therefore i took a BTEC National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering in my first year every unit i received a distinction and in my second year i am now predicted distinctions.

I have applied to loughborough's foundation once more but i am extremely worried that i won't get in. Despite my GCSE maths grade being a C and getting an E in physics (mainly due to getting to U's in the practical) i feel my maths skills have definently been greatly improved, i was not able to take A-level Maths along side my aerospace BTEC as it was not offered at my college campus. Furthermore in my application i failed to include my past A-levels i think loughborough should still have a record as i had applied for the foundation previously but i wonder if it will affect my application?, another thing i failed to mention was the reasons above about my issues experienced whilst doing A-levels and rejecting offers in-order to pursue my ambition to study at Loughborough, i just wanted to acheive 100% in every unit and hope that they accept me reading my statement where the content is good as i have expressed my passion for aeronautics and relevant industry experience obtained at Goodrich/Rolls-Royce.

I applied in late November have not received an offer at the moment i just wanted to ask you guys what i should do if i am rejected? (do you feel i should mention whatever i have in this post and ask them to reconsider) or if i stand a chance? Loughborough has become an obsession and being a 20 year old if i were not to get in to loughborough and received offers from another uni's i would reject them and study for a HND in aerospace engineering in-order to get in to the 2nd year of the masters programme at loughborough as a student from my college has done this although this would be very risky as you never know if i would get accepted besides by the time i finish my degree i would be 26-27 lol

What are your views guys please help!!!! Much appreciated THANK YOUU!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sh47
Furthermore in my application i failed to include my past A-levels i think loughborough should still have a record as i had applied for the foundation previously but i wonder if it will affect my application?

You can't just leave them out on the basis that they should know already, you have to declare all your grades. Failing to do so can mean that universities can reject you or withdraw offers. Contact UCAS and they may be able to add them to your application, or they might tell you to contact universities directly to inform them.

another thing i failed to mention was the reasons above about my issues experienced whilst doing A-levels

You shouldn't mention these things anyway, your referee should.

I applied in late November have not received an offer at the moment i just wanted to ask you guys what i should do if i am rejected? (do you feel i should mention whatever i have in this post and ask them to reconsider) or if i stand a chance? Loughborough has become an obsession and being a 20 year old if i were not to get in to loughborough and received offers from another uni's i would reject them and study for a HND in aerospace engineering in-order to get in to the 2nd year of the masters programme at loughborough as a student from my college has done this although this would be very risky as you never know if i would get accepted besides by the time i finish my degree i would be 26-27 lol

Well I can't exactly tell you what you should do. If you did get rejected I guess you have nothing to lose by asking them to reconsider, I just wouldn't expect it to work.

You seem completely focused on Loughborough. As good as it is, it's not like there's other universities you could go to. You don't seem to have any sort of plan B.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You can't just leave them out on the basis that they should know already, you have to declare all your grades. Failing to do so can mean that universities can reject you or withdraw offers. Contact UCAS and they may be able to add them to your application, or they might tell you to contact universities directly to inform them.

You shouldn't mention these things anyway, your referee should.

Well I can't exactly tell you what you should do. If you did get rejected I guess you have nothing to lose by asking them to reconsider, I just wouldn't expect it to work.

You seem completely focused on Loughborough. As good as it is, it's not like there's other universities you could go to. You don't seem to have any sort of plan B.

Oh crap i assumed that it would not be required since the past ucas points don't count aswell but when i thought about it more i was not too worried since loughborough should know as i had applied before, i will have to contact UCAS immediately. Thanks

But will they even consider me for the BTEC qualification i have if i were to get 100% in all the units or am i at disadvantage compared to the A-level and mature students, am not too sure if people that failed to get in to the main degree programme are allowed to apply for the engineering foundation if they are then i would be at disadvantage
Original post by Sh47
Oh crap i assumed that it would not be required since the past ucas points don't count aswell but when i thought about it more i was not too worried since loughborough should know as i had applied before, i will have to contact UCAS immediately. Thanks

They might know, but you can't rely on that. I don't know how their application systems work and if they will even notice that you've applied before.

But will they even consider me for the BTEC qualification i have if i were to get 100% in all the units or am i at disadvantage compared to the A-level and mature students, am not too sure if people that failed to get in to the main degree programme are allowed to apply for the engineering foundation if they are then i would be at disadvantage

Don't know about the BTEC, but I did read earlier that in some cases people who fail to get onto the degree program are offered a place on the foundation course.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed
They might know, but you can't rely on that. I don't know how their application systems work and if they will even notice that you've applied before.

Don't know about the BTEC, but I did read earlier that in some cases people who fail to get onto the degree program are offered a place on the foundation course.

It could be possible that they know i have applied before since my UCAS ID is the same from two years earlier? But still i think i will contact UCAS to make sure

Regarding the BTEC i"ll have to wait and see what happens, worst case scenario if i get rejected by loughborough i think i will do a HND in aerospace and then apply for loughborough again
Reply 5
Why are you so set on loughborough may i ask :smile:?
Reply 6
Original post by :D---D:
Why are you so set on loughborough may i ask :smile:?

Its become a personal obsession for me lol i know that if i get in i will be one of the best students to come out of loughborough university, i have always known that it's the best for aeronautical engineering (in my opinion) i didn't even know it is well known for its sporting heritage, whilst i was doing my A-levels two years ago i was conducting in-depth research into the best universities for engineering every corner i turned to it would be loughborough, having been to the university open day itself the aeronautical/automotive department was amazing. On the other hand another bonus would be the prospect of playing Cricket for an MCC certified University which can lead to proffesional opportunities, and of course the Gym facilities!!, Loughborough would be perfect to sum it up Best for Engineering excellence first and foremost, The ability to pursue my sporting passion of Cricket!, and the amazing fitness facilities!

Still awaiting a response though :frown:..... My excitment may very well be short-lived, but i will not quit, FEAR KEEPS YOU PRISONER BUT HOPE CAN SET YOU FREE... Lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Niceeeee one :smile:. Good to see someone with an ambition and desire to get somewhere. Hope you get there mate.
Reply 8
^Thanks mate Hope you acheive your career ambitions to :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending