The Student Room Group

So what happens after 4 rejections?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EternalDoom

Original post by EternalDoom
Hi,

Basically I've been rejected from 3 of my 4 uni choices, I'm just worried i may end up getting rejected from my 4th medicine choice too. If that happens, is there like a medicine clearing system? Can I phone up all the medicine universities to see if they would consider me?

Basically, if it's all you want and you're feeling as desperate as I was last year, in your position, you must reapply. That's given that you have the potential.

Last year I got four rejections without interview. I've dedicated another year to getting into medicine, and this year I have two unconditionals already, with another interview to go.

Do not give up, because it's perfectly likely that you'll get in next year - I'm proof.

You can PM me or whatever to hear what I did to turn everything around, or I guess I could post here if peeps want?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CraigKirk
Basically, if it's all you want and you're feeling as desperate as I was last year, in your position, you must reapply. That's given that you have the potential.

Last year I got four rejections without interview. I've dedicated another year to getting into medicine, and this year I have two unconditionals already, with another interview to go.

Do not give up, because it's perfectly likely that you'll get in next year - I'm proof.

You can PM me or whatever to hear what I did to turn everything around, or I guess I could post here if peeps want?

Post here!
Reply 42

Yep, post here so your inbox doesn't get flooded. Also, no idea why you got negged for a good post :s
Original post by Natalie21

Post here!

Mmkaaaaay...

Well, after having my fourth rejection, I wrote to the universities I had applied to asking for feedback immediately, being determined to get in the next (this) year. Although their feedback was generally useless (or non-existent), I was left to figure out for myself what was wrong.

Meanwhile, I focussed on my A levels to make sure they were amazing and proved the schools that rejected me wrong :tongue: I also decided that I'd make sure to get a better UKCAT, so I did more prep for that.

I wrote to a university professor at Keele, about improving my personal statement and he wrote me four pages of feedback. The general messages were that my PS was too academic, seemed too apt and only for Cambridge - not the 'people's' doctor searched for in Tomorrow's Doctors.

Here's a Facebook Note about my gap year... It's bit cheesy. Sorry that!

As for interviews, I think the key thing is how keen I probably came across. I wanted it a lot, and having changed from the arrogant **** I used to be this time last year, I think my interview appeal must have been quite good. In one of my mock interviews, my keenness was commented on, so it's a big thing!

I think I've put most of it out here. If there's anything anyone wants to ask, please do!
Reply 44
Is Penisula not a good uni for medicine then?

I don't think Psychology is seen as being that soft tbh

no what he meant is UCL, Kings, Cambridge, these are world known names, it's hard to get into these unis regardless of the course, so if you only apply to schools like that, and not a less known medical school (Peninsula is less known, obviously every UK med school is great), then you're being silly. However good you might think you are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Mmkaaaaay...

Well, after having my fourth rejection, I wrote to the universities I had applied to asking for feedback immediately, being determined to get in the next (this) year. Although their feedback was generally useless (or non-existent), I was left to figure out for myself what was wrong.

Meanwhile, I focussed on my A levels to make sure they were amazing and proved the schools that rejected me wrong :tongue: I also decided that I'd make sure to get a better UKCAT, so I did more prep for that.

I wrote to a university professor at Keele, about improving my personal statement and he wrote me four pages of feedback. The general messages were that my PS was too academic, seemed too apt and only for Cambridge - not the 'people's' doctor searched for in Tomorrow's Doctors.

As for interviews, I think the key thing is how keen I probably came across. I wanted it a lot, and having changed from the arrogant **** I used to be this time last year, I think my interview appeal must have been quite good. In one of my mock interviews, my keenness was commented on, so it's a big thing!

I think I've put most of it out here. If there's anything anyone wants to ask, please do!

Thanks for posting that - so for the personal statement is it better to talk about your attributes than academics?

Thanks for posting that - so for the personal statement is it better to talk about your attributes than academics?

Yes, but reflection is key. If you don't talk about what you've learned from something, then you barely need to have bothered writing it down. You must reflect - talk about everything learned from all of your experiences.
Reply 47
Original post by Ilyas
psychology is a soft A level and one of his A's was in this subject.

Did you take Psychology A level then? Because you must have done to label it "soft" i'm sure I speak for lot of people who took it in saying, it is NOT. Psychology is a desirable subject when applying for medicine as it requires the student to memorise and process a huge amount of information.
Original post by BexyBear
Did you take Psychology A level then? Because you must have done to label it "soft" i'm sure I speak for lot of people who took it in saying, it is NOT. Psychology is a desirable subject when applying for medicine as it requires the student to memorise and process a huge amount of information.

memorizing the first 1000 digits that comprise the value of pi wouldn't prepare you well for a medicine course.

Psychology is considered soft because of the thing you highlighted; memorization. It requires very little lateral thinking going by what others have told me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Yes, but reflection is key. If you don't talk about what you've learned from something, then you barely need to have bothered writing it down. You must reflect - talk about everything learned from all of your experiences.

Yeah I second this. It's very easy just to list a bunch of amazing things you may have done but going the extra mile and explaining why they were important, what you learned from them and how they will benefit you as a doctor are the 3 key points.
Original post by Doctor.
Maybe the universities should make more space on their course. :frown:

only for people not to have placements and/or have to be chucked out because there aren't clinical places ?

Medicine has had substantial increases in the number of places for pre-reg in the past 10 or so years to reduce the UK's reliance on imported junior doctors and 'wog grade' NCCG Doctors ...

another point, which i'll make politely, because Renal hasn't seen the thread yet it's 'graduate entry' not 'post graduate' as it's still an undergraduate award (where graduate entry to other health professions is Postgraduate because its a PG Dip or even as Masters as the academic award)

those saying get feedback and plan your 'gap yah!' are giving the most sensible advice
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
gap yah .. re apply and enjoy life for a year. Worked for me
Mmkaaaaay...

Incredible post! You're the definition of a doctor from how you appear on TSR. :smile:

+1 your other post too (which was negged for no reason)! :rolleyes:
Original post by Last Chance

Original post by Last Chance
Incredible post! You're the definition of a doctor from how you appear on TSR. :smile:

+1 your other post too (which was negged for no reason)! :rolleyes:

Thank youuu! That's an awesome thing to say. :smile: I'll get back to your PM soon - a friend has come to visit.
Reply 54
Original post by Ilyas
memorizing the first 1000 digits that comprise the value of pi wouldn't prepare you well for a medicine course.

Psychology is considered soft because of the thing you highlighted; memorization. It requires very little lateral thinking going by what others have told me.

so your friends give you a representative view of all the medical admissions departments? :rolleyes:

biology requires an immense ammount of memorisation, as does chemistry. the only subject that requires more application than memorisation would be maths and thats not even a requirement. thats the thing about A levels these days - its about the strength of your memory.
Original post by Superstar6318
what's unlucky about the AS'?

Surely one of the big advantages is to have all A's at AS - for example making it easier to predict grades
Original post by laurie:)
so your friends give you a representative view of all the medical admissions departments? :rolleyes:

biology requires an immense ammount of memorisation, as does chemistry. the only subject that requires more application than memorisation would be maths and thats not even a requirement. thats the thing about A levels these days - its about the strength of your memory.

this is where our views part.

Chemistry is not all memorization though a lot of it is required. The exams are very conceptual and to attain high marks you need to be scientifically minded. I do Chemistry so I can speak for it.

However I'd imagine the same thing is for biology (I don't do bio), did you see that facebook group with 10k+ members complaining about an OCR biology exam? lots of people dubbed the paper unfair because so much of what they revised didn't come up, why? the exam board changed and adapted the syllabus so that students apply knowledge rather than regurgitate it. A lot of teachers did not prepare the students well enough because the change to the syllabus happened in that academic year according to my Woodhouse interviewer.
Reply 57
Original post by laurie:)

I disagree with this. If anything, it's math that is more memorization than anything. Chemistry is in no way a memorization course: you need to have the ability to think critically and conceptually (and often even visually in the case of organic chemistry) in order to solve chemistry problems.

Biology for some part requires memorization, but it is only to learn basic facts. For example, memorizing the Hardy Weinberg equilibrium equation is good but if you cannot think critically and apply it effectively in a given problem, then memorizing the formula is worthless.

So yeah, I disagree with your post.

As stated in another person's post, psychology does place heavy emphasis on memorization. I remember my psych exams where over half the exam would be multiple choice questions on definitions and concepts. There is not much application in psychology; at least not until you do higher level studies like a thesis, masters or PhD work.
Reply 58
Original post by Ilyas
this is where our views part.

Chemistry is not all memorization though a lot of it is required. The exams are very conceptual and to attain high marks you need to be scientifically minded. I do Chemistry so I can speak for it.

However I'd imagine the same thing is for biology (I don't do bio), did you see that facebook group with 10k+ members complaining about an OCR biology exam? lots of people dubbed the paper unfair because so much of what they revised didn't come up, why? the exam board changed and adapted the syllabus so that students apply knowledge rather than regurgitate it. A lot of teachers did not prepare the students well enough because the change to the syllabus happened in that academic year according to my Woodhouse interviewer.

the amount of stuff i had to memorise for chemistry :rolleyes: so maybe its just the difference between exam boards?

and yes, biology is basically just a memory testing subject as well.

im just trying to point out that although psych does include a lot of memorisation, im not disputing that (although it does decrease a lot at A2 and becomes a lot more applied), so do the subjects which are required for medicine, so it shouldnt be discounted just for that.

Original post by .eXe
I disagree with this. If anything, it's math that is more memorization than anything. Chemistry is in no way a memorization course: you need to have the ability to think critically and conceptually (and often even visually in the case of organic chemistry) in order to solve chemistry problems.

Biology for some part requires memorization, but it is only to learn basic facts. For example, memorizing the Hardy Weinberg equilibrium equation is good but if you cannot think critically and apply it effectively in a given problem, then memorizing the formula is worthless.

So yeah, I disagree with your post.

As stated in another person's post, psychology does place heavy emphasis on memorization. I remember my psych exams where over half the exam would be multiple choice questions on definitions and concepts. There is not much application in psychology; at least not until you do higher level studies like a thesis, masters or PhD work.

my chemistry was heavily memorised - i understood the concepts but a lot of it was 'this is definitely going to come up, so memorise this equation with these catalysts and these conditions'

i'd say biology is almost all memorised - ask most people who did as biology and they will tell you it was their memory that got them through it. the only application part of it was the 'how science works' section at the end of the chapter, which didn't change so that was majorly memorised as well.

although we have experienced different schooling systems so i cant speak for chemistry or biology teaching in canada.

im not disputing that psych, especially at AS, contains a major bit of memorisation, which as i've said before, decreases significantly at A2, im just disputing that this is the reason why it is looked down on.

in fact, im also pretty sure that a large chunk of medicine is memorisation as well, so a good memory is not to be sniffed at.
Reply 59
Original post by Pride
no what he meant is UCL, Kings, Cambridge, these are world known names, it's hard to get into these unis regardless of the course, so if you only apply to schools like that, and not a less known medical school (Peninsula is less known, obviously every UK med school is great), then you're being silly. However good you might think you are.

It's not how it works, each and every university for the Medicine is over subscribed and JUST as hard to get into as the top universities. Possibly the exception of Cambridge.

Either way, if you're applying for medicine you're looking at tough competition at every single university. There is no difference from applying to UCL/Kings to any other medicine course in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending