The Student Room Group

Will I make friends at uni?

It's just hit me that after I leave sixth form for uni, I'm probably never going to see any of my childhood friends ever again, is this true? do people still see eachother even though they go to unis that are far away.

Plus, how easy is it to make friends? I would say it takes a while for people to get to like me and vice versa, I never hit it off with someone straight away so I'm worried it won't be too good for me at first. Plus, do you become friends for life with people you meet at uni or are they just like associates? Would you bother going to see them after uni?
You see your home friends when you go home during the holidays. Everyone makes friends at uni, including you.
I'd assume there are about 1,000 people in an academic year. Chances are you're going to find a friend.
I still see my friends from college when I come back to my hometown, because the chances are that at least one of them has come back on the same weekend as me, and obviously we all see each other over the Christmas break. As for making friends at uni, don't worry about it. Obviously you have to make an effort, so hang out with your flat/housemates a fair bit and don't shy away to your room, take an interest in people and ask questions about them so you get to know each other fairly quickly, however you will just become friends with people before you know it.

I too was worried in case my flatmates were really different people to me, or I didn't find anybody on my course to make friends with, however in the end I had nothing to worry about. We've formed a really strong bond as a flat and on my course I've got a small circle of friends and we all get along really well. I can totally understand why you're worried as I was too, and perhaps being nervous is a good thing as it means you will be anxious to make friends and thus make the effort, but in any case, you'll be fine :smile:.
You will make friends at uni.

I'm similar to you, in the sense that if i meet a flatmate, i don't assume they will be my 'friend' after a couple of days.

However since i have been at uni for this first semester, i can safely say that myself and 3 other lads have got on really well. I have only known them for 3 odd months, but it feels as if we have been mates for years.

You will be fine, trust me.

If you stay at halls, everything will take care of itself. If you are shy, just put yourself out there, and let everyone in your block know who you are. I did that and i've settled in friends wise without any problems, and I'm not the type of person that has tons of friends.
Most people make friends at university. Don't worry. You will, every other student I have encountered has.
Reply 6
There's no reason why you can't keep in contact with your childhood friends.
Reply 7
Original post by Ham22
There's no reason why you can't keep in contact with your childhood friends.

So like Facebook? Will you actually see them though? do you get the time?
Yes, if you try and aren't self-centred.
Reply 9
i was terrified of not making friends though im a confident sort of person but like the people above have said, you will make friends. the people im living with aren't my sort of people but they're lovely and we really get on enough to live together and be social :smile:
for a few days i was like 'oh god i have noone' but in a few days i'd met people who are now my closest friends, equally it took a while for me to warm to people on my course but we have a great group and all of the class get on so i can see more potential friends on the horizon!

you have nothing to worry about, though thats easy to say! haha. just get out there and be you :biggrin: and as for friends from back home, i feel closer to them than ever and i value our friendships much more and we appreciate the times when we do see each other more! out of interest what course are you applying for?
Reply 10
Original post by Miryo
So like Facebook? Will you actually see them though? do you get the time?

Well you will see them when you come home for Christmas and Easter, and during the summer holidays, if you arrange it. There'll be plenty of time. You're worrying too much.
Reply 11
Original post by electriic_ink
You see your home friends when you go home during the holidays. Everyone makes friends at uni, including you.

I didn't, but I'm pretty antisocial. Lots of other people on here have posted about not making any friends at uni.

Lots of people do make friends at uni of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending