The Student Room Group

Anxious about restarting uni

Hi

Im applying for unis for sept 2024 and im really nervous about starting all over again in a new place by myself. I was at uni for a year and left- now im on a gap year out.

I didn’t make many friends at my last uni until the second semester and my closest friends were my flatmates from halls. Im anxious i wont fit in at a new uni or make many friends- I was really lucky with my last group of flatmates, we went clubbing and did lots of things together. So im anxious that i wont like new flatmates etc.

At my last uni I had a couple of friends from school who went there so I hung out with them a lot too, but the unis im looking at will have no one I know there.

I found a lot of people had school friends at uni with them.

Anyone else the same?

Thanks
Reply 1
I completed my university education in one go; however, I was in the same social predicament that you find yourself, but I had my goals and making friends wasn’t one, so I really wasn’t bothered about being lonely at university.

In your case, I suppose you can make friends by joining social clubs and participating in university programs, if you really wish to make friends. Ultimately, you can’t force friendships, but I’ve found that if people find you interesting enough, they’ll want to be around you - go figure. Lol.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LegalTom
I completed my university education in one go; however, I was in the same social predicament that you find yourself, but I had my goals and making friends wasn’t one, so I really wasn’t bothered about being lonely at university.

In your case, I suppose you can make friends by joining social clubs and participating in university programs, if you really wish to make friends. Ultimately, you can’t force friendships, but I’ve found that if people find you interesting enough, they’ll want to be around you - go figure. Lol.

Yeah I tried societies at my last uni and bc they they were large groups I struggled to connect with people as im really shy! I’ve found that having a couple of shots can help but I don’t want to depend on booze to be social. But people have said after getting to know me I seemed up tight until I had a drink then I was much more relaxed to be around rip.

Yes! The interesting thing is true- I think im rather boring but idk. I like art and films but fear I lack the intelligence of my peers at uni. I went to a RG uni and felt out of my depth so smaller uni might be better?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Im applying for unis for sept 2024 and im really nervous about starting all over again in a new place by myself. I was at uni for a year and left- now im on a gap year out.

I didn’t make many friends at my last uni until the second semester and my closest friends were my flatmates from halls. Im anxious i wont fit in at a new uni or make many friends- I was really lucky with my last group of flatmates, we went clubbing and did lots of things together. So im anxious that i wont like new flatmates etc.

At my last uni I had a couple of friends from school who went there so I hung out with them a lot too, but the unis im looking at will have no one I know there.

Anyone else the same?

Thanks

Anon,

You have spent a year at a uni previously, so you will already be more prepared for uni than you may think. How did you make friends last time? I am sure you were nervous about university the first time round but you got to know the people in your halls and made friends. It took time to make friends but you made friends with people, so there is no reason to think that you will not be able to make friends again!

A new university is a new opportunity to meet new people. Maybe your closest friends will come from societies or from your course or maybe they will be from student halls. It does not matter as long as you are willing to get to know new people. If you go to uni, expecting not to get on with anyone, you might indirectly project negative body language and make yourself less approachable or simply keep to yourself so much that you don't end up getting to know new people. Be confident! People are drawn to confident people.

University is a time to get to know new people. By going to a uni where you will not have school friends, you will have the opportunity to expand your social circle, build your interpersonal skills and confidence, which are all good things!

Try not to worry,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi

Anyone else the same?

Thanks

Hey! How are you? :smile:

I can understand how nerve wracking it'll be to start all over again in a new place, but just remember you did it the first time around and met some great people! You can do it again, just believe in yourself. I saw you said some societies had too many people so you didn't really connect with those in it, can you have a look at some smaller sized societies, just research into them all, perhaps check them out at a refreshers fayre or something? You could even look into volunteering work or becoming a student ambassador as a new way of meeting people.

Try not to compare your new experience with your previous one, just keep an open mind and remember this is a new opportunity to meet new people and create new friendships. But that doesn't mean you can't stay in touch with your old friends, keep in touch with them too :smile:

I wish you the very best of luck with your uni journey, and I hope you make some amazing friendships along the way.

Becky
Hi

Anyone else the same?

Thanks

Hi!

I'm not sure what societies you joined last time, however, I have found that even though sports societies are usually quite big it is easier to make friends with people since you are doing an activity altogether. This is also a good way to connect with people without alcohol first as well as then going along to sports socials.

If sports aren't your thing - have a look at your unis Student Union website or social media pages. They should have a list of all the societies. In the first few weeks maybe try going to some taster sessions to see what the atmosphere is like.

Other than societies and flatmates I have found lots of my friends have come from group project work as part of my course as we were often randomly assigned into groups so I was always working with new people.

Good luck! Remember everyone else will be nervous as well, even if it doesn't look like it!
- Florence (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi

Anyone else the same?

Thanks

Hello,

I hope you’re well. It’s so normal to feel anxious about returning to uni again, especially regarding the issues you’ve mentioned. I’d just say to enjoy your time out of uni at the moment and focus on all your free time, outside of academia.

Once you do restart, I’d say to try and make friends with some of your course mates & join any societies which you’re interested in - as this is such a good way to make additional friends at university!

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Yeah I tried societies at my last uni and bc they they were large groups I struggled to connect with people as im really shy! I’ve found that having a couple of shots can help but I don’t want to depend on booze to be social. But people have said after getting to know me I seemed up tight until I had a drink then I was much more relaxed to be around rip.

Yes! The interesting thing is true- I think im rather boring but idk. I like art and films but fear I lack the intelligence of my peers at uni. I went to a RG uni and felt out of my depth so smaller uni might be better?

Honestly, making friends at university is like dating: you have to kiss many frogs to find your prince. I say just stick around people more at university events, etc. The more exposed and proactive you are, the more people of your preference will spot you. Making friends really is a chore for me as an introvert, but as long as you’re bent on avoiding being friendless, you just have to persist in your search.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending