The Student Room Group

How do I make friends at University?

I feel like lots of people go into University with their own friend group, so I feel as if I won't fit in with them. So, how do I make friends with people that already made friends from school previously?
It's actually the opposite - most people go to university knowing nobody! Even if they know some people it is unlikely those people will be on the same course as them. Everyone will be in the same boat trying to make new friends. Just be friendly and make the effort to start conversations with the people around you. Any social events you see going, or any invites you receive to get lunch/coffee/drinks/etc, say yes!
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
It's actually the opposite - most people go to university knowing nobody! Even if they know some people it is unlikely those people will be on the same course as them. Everyone will be in the same boat trying to make new friends. Just be friendly and make the effort to start conversations with the people around you. Any social events you see going, or any invites you receive to get lunch/coffee/drinks/etc, say yes!

Thank you so much! This really reassured me a lot. I'll make sure to join as many social events as possible. I feel like making lots of friends is ideal in University because I heard from lots of people that University gets quite lonely unless you know people, then its so fun.
Original post by Shakiisabel
Thank you so much! This really reassured me a lot. I'll make sure to join as many social events as possible. I feel like making lots of friends is ideal in University because I heard from lots of people that University gets quite lonely unless you know people, then its so fun.

Hi,

Oh yes definitely! Having good friends makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. Sports clubs and societies for activities that you are passionate about are also a good way to meet new people and make friends who have similar interests to yours.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hey there

I remember the day before I began I worried about this. There is no need to worry though as most people come to university not knowing anybody else. Freshers week is a good time to meet others and make friends. Join in as much as possible with social activities advertised on campus. Before you go have a look at any Facebook groups that may have been set up for your university to see if you can make contact with others before you go.

All the best enjoy your new experience.

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador
Reply 5
Thank you everyone for your responses!
I really appreciate all the information and the help.
Original post by Shakiisabel
I feel like lots of people go into University with their own friend group, so I feel as if I won't fit in with them. So, how do I make friends with people that already made friends from school previously?

Hi!
When I started uni last September I felt very similar. A lot of my friends from home going to different universities had other people they already knew going to that same uni, but I didn't know anyone. However, once I got to uni I found that this was uncommon and actually a lot of people are looking to make completely new friends. A lot of people see starting university as a fresh start and therefore are looking to meet new people. So my advice would be not to worry about making friends, you will meet so many people who are wanting to make new friends or expand their existing friendship group. I know it's easier said than done but just get involved with things, wether that's clubs or conversations. If you feel awkward remember everyone meets so many people in the first few weeks, the chances are no one will remember if your first conversation was a bit awkward!
I hope this helps!
Faye :smile:
Reply 7
IMO very few people go to uni knowing anyone well enough to make it worth the effort of always meeting up etc.

If it's an option for you, halls of residence with communal hangout areas [e.g. kitchen, dining room, canteen, TV room, bar] are the best ways to meet people.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending