The Student Room Group

Have no friends at uni

I’m about to go into second year and I haven’t really made any close friends. Someone who I thought was my friend said to my face I have no personality”. A lot of girls I have interacted with said I’m too awkward and shy even though I have made efforts to speak to people. I don’t know what to do. Nobody even messages me so I’m just alone for the next 2 months till uni starts again.
Original post by keeno25
I’m about to go into second year and I haven’t really made any close friends. Someone who I thought was my friend said to my face I have no personality”. A lot of girls I have interacted with said I’m too awkward and shy even though I have made efforts to speak to people. I don’t know what to do. Nobody even messages me so I’m just alone for the next 2 months till uni starts again.

Uni can be a really tough place if you haven't found "your people". Don't try and conform to what others expect you to be as you will never find happiness and friends that way.
Find a job over summer to get you out and about, mixing with others.
When you go back, join every society that involves the kind of things you like to do. There will be a whole new bunch of people feeling exactly the same as you, desperate to make new friendships. So cast your net wide......
Original post by keeno25

Hello,

When you go back to uni, try joining a sports club, society, and attend social events organised by your uni. These are a great way to meet new people and make friends, especially sports clubs and societies, because you will be meeting people with similar interests and passions as yourself. I am sure you will meet people with who you will instantly "click".

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by keeno25

Hi there,
Firstly, that isn't a very pleasant thing for someone to say and it is certainly more of a reflection of them than it is of you. You're not alone if you haven't made any really close friends in your first year, it actually took me until my third year of university to make friends who I still speak to years later. Don't be disheartened and continue to put yourself out there. This could be by joining societies that reflect your interests (giving you common ground to start friendships from) or taking part in events if you're accommodation hosts any. You could also volunteer or make friends through work.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by keeno25

Hi @keeno25I’m sorry that happened to you, that’s awful and I’m sure you’re a lovely person! My advice would be that when you start uni back again, join some societies that interest you and group chats for those societies. Engage and chat around, talk to the people around you in the societies. Also talking to the people in your course is a good way to make friends. Plenty of people don’t make friends until their last year or even at all during uni, and it doesn’t say anything about you. Everyone’s experience is different!

Best of luck :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
g im going to be honest friends are overrated especially in uni. find a job and u may find friends there. hit the gym u will also make friends there
Reply 6
I can't believe someone said that to you! But clearly they aren't the right people. I also totally get it. I didn't make any friends in first year. In second year though had group projects and actually met some people who were nice.
Original post by keeno25

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling alone and struggling to make friends. It can be really tough, especially when you're starting a new year or a new environment. As a second year cyber security student at De Montfort University, I can relate to how you're feeling and I'm here to help. Firstly, don't let what others say about you define you - you are so much more than what they think or say. Secondly, keep putting yourself out there and making an effort to talk to people. Join clubs or societies that interest you, attend social events, and don't be afraid to initiate conversations. Remember that everyone is in the same boat, trying to make friends and form connections. Lastly, don't hesitate to seek help or support if you need it. Your university likely has resources such as counselling services or peer support groups that can help you navigate these challenges.

Hang in there and best of luck to you!

- Ilya :wink:
Original post by keeno25

Hi there,

I found it really tricky in my first year of uni. I made most of my friends in second year when I was abit more used to the idea of uni and how it worked. Especially through societies which you can join in things you find interesting, that is how you meet people with similar interests as you regardless of their subject.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Original post by keeno25

Hi Keeno25,

First of all, I'm so sorry that happened to you, especially since you were making an effort. Please try to not let it define you. University can be tricky to navigate. I think even confident people can find it overwhelming at times. You're definitely not alone in how you feel - not making friends in first year is more common than you think. I'm a very shy person, and not everyone I was close with in first year stayed close friends in the end. But I met more lovely people as the years went on. You're still early on in your degree and may not have found your people yet. I know it's still upsetting, but try to feel hopeful that you could make amazing friends next year. My best advice would be to take more opportunities with people if they arise (or even make opportunities). This could be asking to go for coffee or even asking to go for a walk. You could join societies if you haven't already, as it's a great way to meet like-minded people. It's completely ok though to not do something if you don't feel comfortable doing it - when you feel happy and comfortable doing something you're more likely to come across more confident (and have fun which is super important!).

I hope this is helpful. Do remember you are not alone and there is plenty of opportunities to make friends later on - you just haven't met the right people for you yet. I wish you the best in your second year.

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by keeno25

Hi @keeno25 ,

Just wanted to check. Is everything alright? Have you found any of our advice useful? :smile:

- Ilya
Reply 11
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi @keeno25 ,

Just wanted to check. Is everything alright? Have you found any of our advice useful? :smile:

- Ilya

Will take them on board thanks
Original post by keeno25

Hey i'm in a similar position, I feel so socially awkward and shy. I try to talk to everyone but I feel like it's just not enough. I can't seem to make friends anymore. Its put me so down and I feel so lonely.
I'm so scared I will end up in similar situation next year (my 1st year)

I don't have a lot too me due to lack of social experience in the last for ever so I don't really know how to befriend people.
This happens to a surprising number of people.

Well the good news is university has lots of opportunities to meet people. Id try joining a couple societies, a few different ones. Also just go to events.

Try and push yourself out there ask people for socials/contact info, message people first, ask people what there doing on Friday...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending