The Student Room Group

Should I transfer Universities?

I am currently studying nursing but I am thinking of transferring unis. I am a mature student (late 20s) and enjoy the course but I have struggled with the social side of uni. I know you don't go to uni just to make friends and the course is obviously the most important part but I could transfer and complete my course at another University and potentially make new friends and enjoy uni life a bit more. My first choice of where to move would be Worcester so if you have any suggestions on transferring or Worcester nursing please let me know.
Hi, Im currently 19 in my first year at uni and I am hoping to transfer uni as I haven’t made many friends at all, and the uni I’m transferring to is closer to home. I think if you feel more sad about the situation than happy, then there’s your answer.
Original post by nursing27
I am currently studying nursing but I am thinking of transferring unis. I am a mature student (late 20s) and enjoy the course but I have struggled with the social side of uni. I know you don't go to uni just to make friends and the course is obviously the most important part but I could transfer and complete my course at another University and potentially make new friends and enjoy uni life a bit more. My first choice of where to move would be Worcester so if you have any suggestions on transferring or Worcester nursing please let me know.

Transferring in a nursing course may be more complicated (or impossible) than other courses due to structure requirements on material covered and placements being an integral part of the course, as part of the accreditation. It would need to be an exact match for what was covered by your current uni in first year and which placements you've done etc.

I think realistically this is going to be much harder. Also you have an entire university worth of people to make friends with. I very much doubt you are unable to make friends with any if the presumably thousands of other students - and if not then it's very likely a change of location would not fix whatever is stopping you from being able to do so.

I would suggest looking beyond the confines for your course for friends, and also recognise that it's entirely possible to make friends and connections with people on your course even from second year onwards.

Note also some haalthcare professions degrees have very strict rules about students leaving a degree without finishing it and limiting them from enrolling in the same courses elsewhere. I don't know if this is the case for nursing but would recommend being very careful in understanding this BEFORE making any major decisions. Your personal tutor may be able to advise you more on that.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Transferring in a nursing course may be more complicated (or impossible) than other courses due to structure requirements on material covered and placements being an integral part of the course, as part of the accreditation. It would need to be an exact match for what was covered by your current uni in first year and which placements you've done etc.

I think realistically this is going to be much harder. Also you have an entire university worth of people to make friends with. I very much doubt you are unable to make friends with any if the presumably thousands of other students - and if not then it's very likely a change of location would not fix whatever is stopping you from being able to do so.

I would suggest looking beyond the confines for your course for friends, and also recognise that it's entirely possible to make friends and connections with people on your course even from second year onwards.

Note also some haalthcare professions degrees have very strict rules about students leaving a degree without finishing it and limiting them from enrolling in the same courses elsewhere. I don't know if this is the case for nursing but would recommend being very careful in understanding this BEFORE making any major decisions. Your personal tutor may be able to advise you more on that.
Thank you for all the information it’s really useful. I have spoken to my tutor and transferring is a possibility but like you said it would be down to if the other university would accept the modules done on my first year.

In terms of making friends, unfortunately I am at one of the smallest universities in the country with one of the worst students unions which means there is no real social opportunities to meet people unless I go out clubbing. I am also a mature student which makes it more difficult as I am 10 years older than most students and the university doesn’t offer any mature student mixers or activities to meet other people so I am quite stuck. I have been to university before and understand what it’s like going through three years at university and meeting people in each year but I also know what other universities offer in the sense of social activities to meet people and unfortunately the university I am at right now is not good.

I am going to be careful with any decisions I make though and will keep your suggestions in mind.
Reply 4
Original post by nursing27
Thank you for all the information it’s really useful. I have spoken to my tutor and transferring is a possibility but like you said it would be down to if the other university would accept the modules done on my first year.
In terms of making friends, unfortunately I am at one of the smallest universities in the country with one of the worst students unions which means there is no real social opportunities to meet people unless I go out clubbing. I am also a mature student which makes it more difficult as I am 10 years older than most students and the university doesn’t offer any mature student mixers or activities to meet other people so I am quite stuck. I have been to university before and understand what it’s like going through three years at university and meeting people in each year but I also know what other universities offer in the sense of social activities to meet people and unfortunately the university I am at right now is not good.
I am going to be careful with any decisions I make though and will keep your suggestions in mind.

Did you end up transferring?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending