The Student Room Group

Making friends at uni

I’m starting uni in September and have been relatively excited - and still somewhat am - but now that it’s starting to get closer I’m getting quite nervous. I’ve always had plenty of friends up until recently, so didn’t have to worry about making friends - as I know that I’m sociable and outgoing - but recent circumstances have me doubting myself. I’ve fallen out with more or less all of my friends at school (which won’t be a problem as I’m moving away for uni anyway) and I’ve been so alone recently that I’m starting to worry that I’ll be alone at uni too. The only reason that I haven’t let my recent lack of friends bother me much is because I know I’ll go to uni soon and will make new friends - but will I? It’s not guaranteed? I’ll be living in halls and I love to drink and go out clubbing/to bars etc - and I AM pretty outgoing, so on paper it seems inevitable that I’ll have SOMEONE. But what if I don’t? How do I even go about making friends? I won’t know anybody when I first get there so how do I even arrange to go out during freshers or anything? I’m probably just insecure about what’s happened recently and stressing out over nothing. I’m not even really sure what I’m asking for here to be honest, just trying to voice my concerns in the hope that maybe someone has had a similar situation before me and can offer some advice?
Original post by Absuxisjsb
I’m starting uni in September and have been relatively excited - and still somewhat am - but now that it’s starting to get closer I’m getting quite nervous. I’ve always had plenty of friends up until recently, so didn’t have to worry about making friends - as I know that I’m sociable and outgoing - but recent circumstances have me doubting myself. I’ve fallen out with more or less all of my friends at school (which won’t be a problem as I’m moving away for uni anyway) and I’ve been so alone recently that I’m starting to worry that I’ll be alone at uni too. The only reason that I haven’t let my recent lack of friends bother me much is because I know I’ll go to uni soon and will make new friends - but will I? It’s not guaranteed? I’ll be living in halls and I love to drink and go out clubbing/to bars etc - and I AM pretty outgoing, so on paper it seems inevitable that I’ll have SOMEONE. But what if I don’t? How do I even go about making friends? I won’t know anybody when I first get there so how do I even arrange to go out during freshers or anything? I’m probably just insecure about what’s happened recently and stressing out over nothing. I’m not even really sure what I’m asking for here to be honest, just trying to voice my concerns in the hope that maybe someone has had a similar situation before me and can offer some advice?
Hey,

Definitely understand your worries and stress, I think we've all been there to be honest! I'm a very introverted person and was having a lot of the same questions/worries as you so hopefully can offer some advice - but as you said, since you're pretty outgoing I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine <3

In terms of going about making friends/not knowing people/arranging to go out:

No one will know anyone, so everyone is in the same boat - I was really worried about how to make friends with people but I promise 99% of people will be just as nervous/concerned as you

Because of that - everyone will want to make friends in the first few weeks!

It's much easier to strike up conversation with people in first few weeks as like I said, everyone is new and no one knows anyone - just introduce yourself to people/invite them out

Most of the people you go out with in freshers likely won't stay friends throughout, but some will! So you might as well just try to make friends with/go out with a range of people

Make sure you meet all your flatmates, try to plan something together in the first week as these will hopefully be the people you're closest to

Also try to make friends on your course - there will likely be a big course group chat made (might already be one in the facebook offer holders groups etc), just see if anyone wants to go out etc on there maybe as well?

Also, I personally found a lot of the closest friends I made during my undergrad were just people I met naturally overtime (literally mostly in classes), so try not to put too much pressure on yourself! Like I said though, everyone is in the same boat and will want to make friends so I'm sure you'll be fine!! :smile:

Best of luck with everything,
Natalie
Hi @Absuxisjsb,
I can relate to your worries about making friends before the start of university.
I've found university a much easier place to make friends than in school/college, as everyone is in the same situation about not knowing anyone to begin with, so there in the same situation around trying to make friends, so are quite open to chatting and making new friends.
I've found societies a great place to make friends, as everyone there has a similar interest, so you've always got something to talk about.
Flatmates can be great friends in first year, however you could also make some friends that are in the same accommodation block as you.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hey @Absuxisjsb how are you? :smile:

I know you've already received some great advice, but thought I'd also jump in if that's okay.

I was very shy and anxious when starting university, so my experience definitely differs from you, as you've said you're more outgoing, so I have no doubt you'll make some wonderful friends! :smile: If you're looking for ideas on how to meet new people you could join a club or society (or even start your own!). That way you're around people with a similar interest to you and it'll make conversation that bit easier as you'll have that common ground. You could also look into volunteering opportunities, part-time work on campus or becoming a student ambassador, all fab ways of meeting new students. :smile:

If you're okay at small talk then deffo start doing this straight away with your course mates, I bet they'll be really thankful for it too, I know it put me at ease when someone made the effort with me as I was too shy and anxious to be the one starting conversation with others. Now, I find small talk easier when it's about something I love and could talk about for hours on end, such as books or tv shows haha. So I'm sure you'll be able to start conversation about course work, ask if they wanna form a study group in the library, then you could suggest going for a coffee afterwards.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and meet some fab people. Best of luck with your uni journey!! :smile:

Becky
Hey there,

I totally get where you're coming from, and it's perfectly normal to feel this way. Transitioning to university is a big step, and it's okay to feel a bit anxious about it. Remember, everyone else arriving at university is in the same position - they're all looking to make new friends too. Being outgoing and enjoying social activities like clubbing are great starting points for making connections. You'll likely meet people in your halls, in your classes, and at fresher's events. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Take each day as it comes and let friendships form naturally. You've got this!

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions,
Ilya :smile:
A lot of students feel exactly the same when starting University, I know I did.
It can be very daunting going somewhere new, fairly alone and starting your University degree. But if you are outgoing, join societies, and engage with your flatmates and coursemates you will meet people.
From my experience university in general is a fairly friendly place, I’ve rarely come across someone who isn’t willing to chat and get to know each other.
It takes a bit of effort but you will make some good friends.

Hi there,

Firstly I want to say that all of these feelings are completely normal! Everyone has been there especially on the lead up to starting at university.

Coming to uni can be really daunting and scary, it's a new place, new people, new course, new ways of learning and not to mention the new found independence!

I can definitely relate, I myself was really nervous before starting uni because I didn't know anyone and found myself thinking up scenarios where I would be totally alone etc.

But that didn't happen, I found my friends at uni and you will too, especially if you like going out on a nighttime and will be living in halls. There will be loads and loads of people in halls who are going out regularly and you will definitely find people who are going to similar places to you, whether it is your flatmates or others.

I would also recommend joining societies, most unis have an academic society for each course and then have ones for clubs and hobbies. So I would say try joining some of them as well as they often have social nights etc throughout the year.

I am absolutely sure that you will be fine and you will find your friends,

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Hi there,

This is something that I was worried about too before I started uni but it was fine in the end so try not to worry too much!

Here are some of my tips for making friends at uni!

1- Join a society! This is a great way to make friends with people who have a common interest with you and meet lots of new people. There are usually also socials put on which are great fun and allow you to go out with different people. It's also a good way to get you out of the house and do something which you enjoy!

2- Make plans with your flatmates. Ask them if they want to do things in freshers week and then continue this after freshers week! Go on nights out with them, or ask them if they want to have a movie or games night in the flat, or ask if they want to all make dinner together as this can be really fun too!

3- Say yes! If people are going out, say yes and go out too as this is a great way of making friends and meeting new people!

4- Go to your lectures/seminars. This is a great way of meeting new people at uni which you will only be able to do if you attend! It's easy to get chatting to the person you sit next to at uni!

5- Ask your course friends if they want to do things with you too! Invite them to your flat for pres, or ask if they want to go out for a coffee/lunch after uni! Or when you start to have assignments due, ask if they want to go to the library with you or sit and do some work together!

6- Join Facebook groups before you start uni! There are usually groups for your uni, your halls and sometimes your course so it's a good idea to join these before you start to help you feel a bit better about starting and you might make friends on there before you start!

7- Go to your course welcome events. It's easy not to attend as it's in freshers week but if your course puts any welcome events on, I would really recommend going as this is how I made my first friends on my course!

8- Don't put pressure on yourself if you feel like you aren't making best friends straight away. Sometimes you don't stay friends with all of the people you meet in freshers week but this will come so just enjoy your uni experience and don't worry if you aren't having the 'perfect' uni experience as this doesn't exist!

9- Knock on other flats doors and invite them to your flat for pres!! This is a great way of breaking the ice in freshers week and meeting lots of new people.

10- Talk to people on nights out and get their social media/ phone number etc. I made some friends from chatting to people in clubs or outside on nights out and it can be a great way of meeting people as lots of people want to make friends and will be chatty!

Overall, I would say try not to worry as everyone is in the same boat when you start uni and nobody knows each other! Everyone wants to make friends so nobody will laugh at you for trying they will be glad you asked so out yourself out there!

I hope some of this helps and good luck at uni!

Lucy- SHU student ambassador

Hey!

One way to get your foot in the door with meeting new people is by trying to make friends with the other people in your dorm. You can go out together and start mingling with other people and make other friends! Everyone will be in the same position so if you just start making an effort to talk to people - which you should be great at as you say you’re outgoing! I really wouldn’t worry about not making friends, I think between you living in halls, you being outgoing and also if you decide to join societies (totally recommend) you’ll have a great time!

Hope this helps!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hi!

It sounds like you'll definitely make friends. Because you're in halls you'll have your flats mates at the start for sure - generally in student accommodation a whole flat will kinda hang onto eachother during the first couple weeks as you're the only people that each other know and then as the weeks go by and you meet more people then you separate a little but still stay friends. But some flats stay super close the whole year, it's really up to how well you get along. My tip would be to go sit in the shared areas on the first day and chill out there so you meet people as they arrive.

With making friends outside of your flat, welcome week where you have the first couple classes for your degree is great. Everyone is very lost and just looking for someone to chat to so if you literally go up to anyone and say hi you'll have a friend. If you're up for it being the person who goes around to a lot of people and says hi is a great way to meet loads of people and starting a groupchat is always a great idea too.

And then if you still want to add more people to your growing collection of friends then clubs and societies. They generally have free taster sessions during welcome week so that's great to try a load and see which feel right for you. But that's a super easy way to make friends and they have nights out normally once a week so if you do like clubbing as you said above and don't feel close enough or confident enough to bring it up to the people you've met so far then that's a great way to go out and about.

As for what you can do for now just keep your eye out for any accommodation (when you know where you'll be living) group chats or course group chats from your university. Obviously be careful, these are generally full of bots but if you join them then people tend to find out who are real people and not freshers wrist band or essay writing bots and make another group chat. This way you can get to speak to a couple people before you arrive and it might make you feel a little more comfortable.

I was super worried about making friends before my first year at university but it all went really smoothly and the thing that helped me the most was just remembering that everyone was just as nervous. You got this!!! And stay excited, university has been amazing for me so far and I'm sure it will be for you too!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Hey @Absuxisjsb!

One of the things I find a lot of students tend to forget about starting university is that everyone is new - all of your course/flatmates will be in the exact same frame of mind as you are right now. Make sure to try and introduce yourself to your flatmates in the first day or two and invite them out to any of the Freshers events you're planning to attend - that way, you can get to know your flatmates better and have the opportunity to meet new people at the same time.

It's great that you have a naturally outgoing personality - but it's important to remember that a lot of your coursemates/flatmates might be a bit more introverted, and would therefore genuinely appreciate you taking the first step to reach out. Whether it's striking up a conversation with the person sitting beside you in your introductory lecture or attending society meetings/events, I promise you most people will be more than happy to chat with you.

Best of luck - you've got this! 😁
Eve (Kingston Rep).

Hi!
Congratulations on your place at university!
It is totally normal to worry about making friends at uni. It's a big life change and so you are definitely not alone in feeling this way. There are so many opportunities to make friends at university, and everyone there is in the same boat. My advice would be to get involved with as much as possible; societies, freshers week events, etc. It sounds like you are the kind of person who will thrive at university, so don't overthink it, focus on all the exciting activities you will be able to get involved with!

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hi,

I'm currently in my first year of uni, and this time last year I was feeling exactly the same as you. Going to uni, especially if you're moving far away, can seem really daunting. The main thing that helped me feel confident that I would make friends eventually was reminding myself that everyone is feeling the same way. Everyone I spoke to during Fresher's or even now, talk about how they were worried making friends when they got here. Also, I would always keep in mind that sometimes friendships take time. Even if you meet people during the first few weeks of uni, you may not feel like you're properly friends for quite a while.

Personally, I found that making friends on my course was easier than meeting people at fresher's events, because you have things relating to your course you can talk about with them. I often struggle knowing what to say when I first meet people, but if I was really out of ideas I could always talk about the course.

One thing I would suggest is talking to your flatmates if you're moving into halls. I was worried that I wouldn't get on with the people I was living with, but as the first people I met while at uni, I went to freshers events with them. Societies are also a great way to make friends, because you instantly find people with common interests to you. Whether it's a sports team, music group, or a random hobby, it makes it easy to find like-minded people.

The main thing I can suggest is to not put too much pressure on yourself, and friendships will come in time. Hope this helps.

Sophie
LJMU Student Rep

Hi there👋,

Very often people feel in the same boat as you do!

It's nerve-wracking to move to university and meet different people. I would suggest giving yourself time to settle in and meet your new flatmates when you move into the halls, as you will spend a lot of time with them. Maybe, see if you can find people starting your course or moving into your block of flats through Facebook group pages and social media, so you have an idea of who is going to be there.

University is a lot different from High School, where many people of different ages and past histories all meet, so never be afraid to start a conversation with someone. It sounds like you are an outgoing individual which will play on your side!

If after the Fresher's period you still feel you have not made friends fully yet, (which I doubt will be the case!) maybe try out a new society or club so you have an opportunity to meet people through a familiar hobby.

Lastly, remember that starting university is a big step in life! Be proud of what you have achieved and how far you have come, and let your personality do the rest!

Hope this helps:
Hannah - 1st Year Mental Health Nursing Student
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending