The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

so glad Barton is in a relegation bound team, lets not forget what he did to Gervinho:angry:
Who to, who to be, who to be a, gooner!
Another great, but underrated, Dutch player called Royston Drenthe is on fire for Everton:biggrin:
We have had the privilege of watching some truly brilliant players at Arsenal. Van Persie is by no means the best. However I wonder if anyone has -- at any point -- performed at the level he is playing at now. Given the players he is playing with, given the state of the rest of the league, I would put him above '04 Henry.

A fortunate win, I think. Liverpool probably did have the balance of play. Kuyt and Kelly were guilty of missing some simple chances. They hit the post, as they so often have this season. It wasn't a particularly strong performance from us at all. Very lucky to go in 1-1 at HT. But we have Szczesny to thank. He has looked a bit shaky in recent games but we were kept in the game due to some very good goalkeeping. Wonderful ball from Song to assist Van Persie's winner. Maybe Reina should have done better. But it's hard to care, really. That was a very important win. Lets hope Man Utd are able to get something at White Hart Lane.
Original post by Xotol
Wow, is that even a discussion? RVP has done more for Arsenal this season than Fabregas ever has. I'm not saying Fabregas isn't great, he is, but RVP is arguably the third best player in the world. Fabregas might struggle to break into the top 10. RVP has shouldered this mid table team into the top 4 right now and possibly into the top 3 in the future.

It's one of the hardest calls to make for an Arsenal fan to say RVP is better than Fabregas, not only do they both play different roles but have a 5 year gap in age.

I completely agree that Van Persie has been better than Fabregas in every single way from his captaincy to his overall play, however no one should really underestimate what Fabregas did for the club.

Fabregas would not struggle to be in the top 10. He is in it for a fact. He's probably 4th or 5th best player in the world. 15 goals and 15 assists this season. He's a ****ing midfield beast.

I know I'm defensive over Fabregas but he's been my favourite Arsenal player in the short time I've supported Arsenal (no I didn't switch, I just wasn't really into football until I watched Arsenal play :colondollar:).
Reply 5985
Liverpool
Original post by Overmars
We have had the privilege of watching some truly brilliant players at Arsenal. Van Persie is by no means the best. However I wonder if anyone has -- at any point -- performed at the level he is playing at now. Given the players he is playing with, given the state of the rest of the league, I would put him above '04 Henry.

A fortunate win, I think. Liverpool probably did have the balance of play. Kuyt and Kelly were guilty of missing some simple chances. They hit the post, as they so often have this season. It wasn't a particularly strong performance from us at all. Very lucky to go in 1-1 at HT. But we have Szczesny to thank. He has looked a bit shaky in recent games but we were kept in the game due to some very good goalkeeping. Wonderful ball from Song to assist Van Persie's winner. Maybe Reina should have done better. But it's hard to care, really. That was a very important win. Lets hope Man Utd are able to get something at White Hart Lane.

now thats controversial :wink:
Hope Arteta's alright and not out for the long term, not a great game but the results count at the end of the day
Original post by internet tough guy
now thats controversial :wink:

I know! I will say that Henry, as a goalscorer, had more of an inevitability about him in the sense that -- when he was in a certain position -- you knew what he was going to do, he knew what he was going to do, the goalkeeper knew what he was going to do...and there was no question he was going to score. But I don't think he had the burden that Van Persie has. Henry could easily link-up with Pires or Bergkamp or Ljungberg or anyone, really, safe in the knowledge that the attack wouldn't break down. Van Persie doesn't really have that. Van Persie gets 2 chances today and he has to stick both of them away because if he doesn't, we're not winning the game.

Over the course of his Arsenal career, Henry is obviously the better player. But that 'peak' we are seeing with Van Persie at the moment, I'm not so sure Henry matched that. Or at least, even if he did, the fact that Van Perise has Walcott with him and not Pires makes it more impressive.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Hope Arteta's alright and not out for the long term, not a great game but the results count at the end of the day

what is the first movie in your sig called? I'd love to watch it:rofl:
Original post by Remarqable M
what is the first movie in your sig called? I'd love to watch it:rofl:

Lol a few people on tsr have asked me, I still dunno D: just got it from senorgif.com, guessing it's some kinda old chinese comedy film
I hope I'm proved wrong, but you have to be delusional to think we can still progress in the Champions League.

Bringing some realism here, the last two games have been fantastic but we didn't turn up today and got a lot of luck in terms of Liverpool wasting chances. If we have the determination and drive we had against Tottenham then who knows what could happen, but it's still the smallest of chances.

I'm still so happy that we're holding on to 4th and can see us climbing above Spurs :smile:
I know! I will say that Henry, as a goalscorer, had more of an inevitability about him in the sense that -- when he was in a certain position -- you knew what he was going to do, he knew what he was going to do, the goalkeeper knew what he was going to do...and there was no question he was going to score. But I don't think he had the burden that Van Persie has. Henry could easily link-up with Pires or Bergkamp or Ljungberg or anyone, really, safe in the knowledge that the attack wouldn't break down. Van Persie doesn't really have that. Van Persie gets 2 chances today and he has to stick both of them away because if he doesn't, we're not winning the game.

Over the course of his Arsenal career, Henry is obviously the better player. But that 'peak' we are seeing with Van Persie at the moment, I'm not so sure Henry matched that. Or at least, even if he did, the fact that Van Perise has Walcott with him and not Pires makes it more impressive.

I'm going to stick my head out and say Rvp is technically better - having bergkamp-esque qualities. But physically, Henry is superior. You can only play with whoever you're lined up with, so who knows? maybe Henry would've done similarly well in Rvp's shoes right now, I did remember many of his brilliant individual performances back in 2004, particular that liverpool game at highbury where he scored a hat-trick - that game coming just after us being knocked out of the fa cup and CL, so credit to henry, he stopped the rot in that game where we easily could've lost, and the rest as they say is history :daydreaming:. So its tough call as to who's 'peak' is better.

Agree with all of this, Van Persie is just ridiculous at the moment, I refuse to believe he can keep playing like this, it's just not right.

Original post by TotalLifeForever
I hope I'm proved wrong, but you have to be delusional to think we can still progress in the Champions League.

Bringing some realism here, the last two games have been fantastic but we didn't turn up today and got a lot of luck in terms of Liverpool wasting chances. If we have the determination and drive we had against Tottenham then who knows what could happen, but it's still the smallest of chances.

I'm still so happy that we're holding on to 4th and can see us climbing above Spurs :smile:

Agree with this as well, saying we can beat Milan 5-0 and 3rd is wrapped up is just as knee-jerk and daft as those saying we are a mid-table team a couple of weeks ago. We need to accept we're out of the CL and in a very tight scrap for 4th. Chances are we'll be out of the top 4 in an hour or so and even if Spurs lose tomorrow they'll still have a good 4 point cushion.

Enjoy the last two games for the fantastic results they are, but let's not get carrying away and set ourselves up for a fall. I'm ecstatic this afternoon, but still bricking it looking ahead for the rest of the season.

Henry still created and scored during the Invincible season roughly the same percentage as RVP has this season. Different players but world-class at what they do.
Reply 5995
RVP was awesome today, and the second goal was just sublime, but I think just as much needs to be made of Sagna's PERFECT cross for the first goal, and yet another incredible ball from Song for the second.

Oxo's long range effort was good to see too, can't wait to see him stick some of them in.

Schzezny was MoTM today ainec.
He scores when he wants,
He scores when he waaaaaaaaaaaants,
Robin van Persie,
He scores when he wants!
Reply 5997
I think Arsenal should play a trick against Ac milan. Start the game without chamberlain, Van persie, and rosicky. And play a game that is quite defensive and try to squeese 1 or 2 goals in, hopefully if Walcott and Gervinho can shoot. Then at half time suprise Milan by putting on those 3 i mentioned and go out on full attack.

BRAVO sir, give this man an oscar.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5999
Original post by word2yamother
Funny how at the start of the season liverpool fans were wuming this thread saying they've got a superior squad and that they'll finish above us. Too cocky for their own good, we told you downing, adam and henderson would flop but you wouldn't listen.

Like who?

Latest