The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darth Vader 7
I know this seems a bit far fetched but should we rest Van Persie? He looks a little tired to me. He's played so many games continuously that it may catch up with him. I know we're only having a game a week now so in theory he should have enough time to recover. However, I want him to be 100% fit against Man city. Maybe play Walcott in the middle against QPR?

Has RvP played in every single PL game this season?

I actually can't remember a match he missed :confused:
Original post by jilebinator
The chants for heskey were funny, KSI has had a real effect on teenagers, every one around me was shouting BEAST every time he touched the ball.

but to be fair the heskey jokes are getting old now.

The Heskey 'jokes' were never funny in the first place. KSI is a funny guy tho
Original post by internet tough guy

I think he was on the bench against Stoke at the Emirates until he was substituted on to win us the match.

Difference this time is that Van Persie hasn't been completely integral to our football over the last few games. Song, Rosicky and Walcott have had massive impacts recently and we should allow the Dutchman to sit a match out. I'm more than confident that we can win against QPR without Van Persie.
Reply 7243
Original post by Nabster_88
Our recent run is weird because normally February brings about terminal decline in form for Arsenal until the end of the season.

Well it's nearly April, and we have 8 games left. If we can win 5/6 and draw 2/3, and then finish 3rd I would be really happy!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 7244
Original post by internet tough guy

http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie/stats

Says he's played in 29(1) league games, so all but one, which he was a sub in anyway.

Wonder what's changed this season to enable him to be fit...

[h="6"]‎@Frimpong26AFC On Twitter:
OMG My mum just send me This Pik of me when I was a youngster My Uncle Cutting My hair :biggrin:[/h]

Reply 7246
Original post by Remarqable M
our target now is 2nd place:biggrin: 11 points behind CITY and 24 point to play for:biggrin:

Exactly. Onwards and upwards. We should target the 2nd place now since we know Man City can only implode just like we did last year or Spurs for the past few weeks. You never know if Chelski were ever to win the champions league(stranger things have happened like Porto, Greece, Zambia winning), we might need to play the CL prelimeries if we were to finish 3rd.
I think he was on the bench against Stoke at the Emirates until he was substituted on to win us the match.

Difference this time is that Van Persie hasn't been completely integral to our football over the last few games. Song, Rosicky and Walcott have had massive impacts recently and we should allow the Dutchman to sit a match out. I'm more than confident that we can win against QPR without Van Persie.

I think he has to start away. The game to 'rest' him -- if he needs it -- was this one. At home to Villa looked one of the easiest fixtures remaining. Any away game is difficult at this stage and particularly against a team managed by Mark Hughes; he'll make it a tough battle.

Besides, there's a week gap until the next game. When you're knocked out of all competitions and are only focused on one thing, there's no real need for players to need games off. Arsenal's squad depth isn't great but not having to play 2/3 games a week recently has improved the form of players and allowed players to recover more easily.

Same team that started today against QPR (with Kosicelny in for Djourou, if possible). We all want to see Oxlade Chamberlain play because he's an exciting talent but we saw the merits of having Gervinho today -- he bailed Gibbs out a few times when Albrighton was on the break. It takes a relatively experienced player to spot the gaps when other teammates bomb forward.
Original post by Overmars
I think he has to start away. The game to 'rest' him -- if he needs it -- was this one. At home to Villa looked one of the easiest fixtures remaining. Any away game is difficult at this stage and particularly against a team managed by Mark Hughes; he'll make it a tough battle.

Besides, there's a week gap until the next game. When you're knocked out of all competitions and are only focused on one thing, there's no real need for players to need games off. Arsenal's squad depth isn't great but not having to play 2/3 games a week recently has improved the form of players and allowed players to recover more easily.

Same team that started today against QPR (with Kosicelny in for Djourou, if possible). We all want to see Oxlade Chamberlain play because he's an exciting talent but we saw the merits of having Gervinho today -- he bailed Gibbs out a few times when Albrighton was on the break. It takes a relatively experienced player to spot the gaps when other teammates bomb forward.

defensively gervinho was good, he kept tracking back and winning the ball. which is always good to see.

we have difficult games left, namely against stoke, city and chelsea.

If we go undefeated for the rest of the season we should get at least fourth.
Just seen the Crouch goal....:clap2:
As my spurs mates said. "Why couldn't he ****ing do that for us?"
Original post by Overmars

I think the problem with dropping him would be if we draw or lose, would Van Persie have won it for us? Quite possibly.

However, I agree that the whole team has ample time to be ready for the next match.

Koscielny won't play personally. One more yellow card and he misses Man city. If he gets a yellow vs Man city, he misses Wolves and Wigan, both winnable games without him. Man city will be the most difficult home match of the season and we need our best 11.

That's the difference between Gervinho/Walcott and Chamberlain. They know when to track back and cover for players. Their defensive work is crucial to our full-backs attacking play. Chamberlain still needs time to learn his trade.
Original post by Nut.
http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/robin-van-persie/stats

Says he's played in 29(1) league games, so all but one, which he was a sub in anyway.

Wonder what's changed this season to enable him to be fit...

Its his mental strength.
Arsenal are 8 points in front of Chelsea, that may sound like a lot but ask the lot we've overtaken and they'll tell you otherwise. There is no need for premature banter and we could very much still finish outside the top 4. Gladly, I think the team understands this better than anyone else.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Its his mental strength.

I believe he lacked a bit of sharpness in the penalty box but the desire was there. Overall, I am pleased that van Persie has been fit this season. When you have a player like him he provides you with that extra quality. :colondollar:
Reply 7255
Obviously they are both legends in their own right, but who do you guys prefer;

Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp?
Original post by J.Star
Obviously they are both legends in their own right, but who do you guys prefer;

Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp?

It's really close but I'd probably go for Bergkamp.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
I believe he lacked a bit of sharpness in the penalty box but the desire was there. Overall, I am pleased that van Persie has been fit this season. When you have a player like him he provides you with that extra quality. :colondollar:

:rofl:
Transfer news for today:

Real Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay will fly out to London this week for discussions over Carlos Vela's future.

Arsenal are keeping tabs on Soloman Kalou. His contract runs out in the summer and will be available for a free transfer.

Arsenal representatives have been spotted discussing a possible transfer for Mario Goetze with Dortmund officials. They were reluctant at first but talks are claimed to have been 'good'.

Plus a nice little stat:

Ryo Miyaichi has created more chances per game than any other player in the Premier league.

And finally:

Arsenal have won 7 games in a row. They'll need to win another 7 games to equal their record of 14 consecutive wins in the league. However, Arsenal have already surpassed Tottenham's highest consecutive win streak (6)
Reply 7259
Transfer news for today:

Real Sociedad president Jokin Aperribay will fly out to London this week for discussions over Carlos Vela's future.

Arsenal are keeping tabs on Soloman Kalou. His contract runs out in the summer and will be available for a free transfer.

Arsenal representatives have been spotted discussing a possible transfer for Mario Goetze with Dortmund officials. They were reluctant at first but talks are claimed to have been 'good'.

Plus a nice little stat:

Ryo Miyaichi has created more chances per game than any other player in the Premier league.

And finally:

Arsenal have won 7 games in a row. They'll need to win another 7 games to equal their record of 14 consecutive wins in the league. However, Arsenal have already surpassed Tottenham's highest consecutive win streak (6)

:coma:

Latest