The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why does Carl's voice sound like David Beckham? :s-smilie: or is it just me :lol:

"He goes from, like, skinhead to, like, some sort of rat tail on the back of his head."

Chambo's hilarious. :biggrin:
Reply 7362
Original post by gunit123
Don't need Gotze - we will have Jack Wilshere. Also, Ox Chambo can play in he CAM role

Dunno why more people aren't keen on this idea of Jack as an AM, we'd get more out of him there and save ourselves a lot of money.

I'd personally like to see Tom phased into a deep lying playmaker type role so that as his pace drops off we can still get quality out of him - hopefully he'll provide something more akin to Pirlo than Arteta. You sit Tom next to Song with Jack in front and you've got a great midfield there with Ramsey, Arteta, Ox, Coquelin and Lansbury all providing cover/rotational options.

If we're to buy anyone in midfield it should be a technical player proficient both through the middle and out wide - within that specification there's the choice between either older experienced players to help provide cover/bring the youngsters through i.e. a direct Benayoun replacement or another youngster. All these starlet kids names chucked around are gonna sound more exciting than another Benayoun, but given Miyaichi, Ox, Jack etc all look the real deal and are so young themselves, for the sake of their developments and to help balance the experience in the side, the boring option is probably the sensible one.
Original post by JK.
Dunno why more people aren't keen on this idea of Jack as an AM, we'd get more out of him there and save ourselves a lot of money.

I'd personally like to see Tom phased into a deep lying playmaker type role so that as his pace drops off we can still get quality out of him - hopefully he'll provide something more akin to Pirlo than Arteta. You sit Tom next to Song with Jack in front and you've got a great midfield there with Ramsey, Arteta, Ox, Coquelin and Lansbury all providing cover/rotational options.

If we're to buy anyone in midfield it should be a technical player proficient both through the middle and out wide - within that specification there's the choice between either older experienced players to help provide cover/bring the youngsters through i.e. a direct Benayoun replacement or another youngster. All these starlet kids names chucked around are gonna sound more exciting than another Benayoun, but given Miyaichi, Ox, Jack etc all look the real deal and are so young themselves, for the sake of their developments and to help balance the experience in the side, the boring option is probably the sensible one.

With your sensible buys and our starting XI we have a squad that can hopefully challenge for the title next season. Except if anyone gets injured of course.
Original post by In2deep
With your sensible buys and our starting XI we have a squad that can hopefully challenge for the title next season. Except if when anyone gets injured of course.

Fixed.
Original post by Kevmeister
Fixed.

Made my point even clearer :tongue:
Original post by Remarqable M
why does Carl's voice sound like David Beckham? :s-smilie: or is it just me :lol:

They're from fairly similar areas IIRC.
Reply 7367
Podolski + RvP, Theo, Song contract extensions + fringe player clearout + return of loanees (except for denilson and aa23) + quality playmaker = successful summer imo.
I dont want any of the loanees returning (unless AA is given a no10 role). At least half of the following list should be sold in the summer.

Chamakh/Vela/Squillaci/Bendtner/Denilson/Arshavin/Almunia

We should also try to provide Almunia with compensation so he can leave on a free transfer.
Original post by T.Adams VI
I dont want any of the loanees returning (unless AA is given a no10 role). At least half of the following list should be sold in the summer.

Chamakh/Vela/Squillaci/Bendtner/Denilson/Arshavin/Almunia

We should also try to provide Almunia with compensation so he can leave on a free transfer.

I doubt Arshavin will ever be given the number 10 role. His defensive work-rate is poor and since we play a 3 man rotational system, Arshavin will be a liability. He will never be the main-man at Arsenal. We just can't channel all play through him because ultimately, he just isn't as good as Fabregas or Van Persie.

Even then, he just doesn't try hard enough. Fine, his position was changed but he doesn't give it his all. Look at Chamberlain, his favoured position is midfield and yet he can do his magic on the wings. Walcott is a striker but he has stuck on the wings and even when he plays poor, he gives it his all. Van Persie has had to become a full-out striker and we all know he loves the CF position or in the hole.

I highly doubt the Russian will play for Arsenal again.
Reply 7370
If we keep the first team and get JW back then we will be set except for depth up top which podolski will provide if it turns out to be true, we need to be in a position to offer rvp a blank cheque which will mean cutting a lot of the **** who have decent wages i.e. denilson, almunia, bendtner but it will be difficult to find buyers
I'm fairly certain Almunia is out of contract this summer - he signed a 'long term' contract in 2008, believed to be four years long.

Denilson wants to stay at Sao Paulo, but they are reluctant to go for a permanent deal.

As for Bendtner, offer him to Koln as a thank you for Podolski.
Original post by alexsong
If we keep the first team and get JW back then we will be set except for depth up top which podolski will provide if it turns out to be true, we need to be in a position to offer rvp a blank cheque which will mean cutting a lot of the **** who have decent wages i.e. denilson, almunia, bendtner but it will be difficult to find buyers

Far from set.

We have no substitute at all for Song, he has been crucial for us so far and his injury would mean we have a team with just enough quality to maybe stay in the top four.

An injury to Sagna would be just as crucial, Jenkinson and Yennaris have both been good back-ups but it is a weakness, especially if Sagna is not the only one injured at that time.

Our wingers don't score enough goals, we need to hope they contribute better next season.

Our CB pairing of Koscielny and Vermaelen is great, but as we have already seen, an injury to two CB's and we are playing Djourou...

We have a squad were season after season, we have atleast one major injury to a XI player and several medium-term injuries along the way, why do we expect that next season we'll be injury free?
Original post by In2deep
Far from set.

We have no substitute at all for Song, he has been crucial for us so far and his injury would mean we have a team with just enough quality to maybe stay in the top four.

An injury to Sagna would be just as crucial, Jenkinson and Yennaris have both been good back-ups but it is a weakness, especially if Sagna is not the only one injured at that time.

Our wingers don't score enough goals, we need to hope they contribute better next season.

Our CB pairing of Koscielny and Vermaelen is great, but as we have already seen, an injury to two CB's and we are playing Djourou...

We have a squad were season after season, we have atleast one major injury to a XI player and several medium-term injuries along the way, why do we expect that next season we'll be injury free?

To be fair, we'll have Mertesacker back next season.

EDIT: Completely misread the post :colondollar:

Djourou isn't too bad for a 4th CB and we still have Miquel who looks decent.

Do you honestly see us signing a competent CB which will be happy being 4th?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kevmeister
I'm fairly certain Almunia is out of contract this summer - he signed a 'long term' contract in 2008, believed to be four years long.

Denilson wants to stay at Sao Paulo, but they are reluctant to go for a permanent deal.

As for Bendtner, offer him to Koln as a thank you for Podolski.

HAHA that made me lol
Reply 7375
Original post by In2deep
Far from set.

We have 4 fullbacks and 4 central defenders, jenkinson and djourou arent exactly godlike but for a 4th option they are good enough. the Song thing is true but we have **** loads of midfielders, arteta could sit in there for a while or play frimpong or coquelin two up and comers, also i doubt we will sign a winger it would be a luxury signing which I dont come to expect from Arsenal these days, gervinho will probably kick on next season and do better as well . obviously i am not tipping us to go undefeated or even win the league but we will be in a good position if we start out next season as we are with better striking options in reserve
We definitely need at least one more fullback.

Gibbs and Jenkinson are just not good enough. (especially Gibbs).

£5m for a new experienced FB on a ~£50k a week contract should do the job.

We are a top 5 club in the world when it comes to making money, I don't see why we can't afford the luxury or strengthing our squad. It's quite clear Gibss/Jenkinson are incompetent defenders. Gibbs is a converted winger/striker...
(edited 12 years ago)
Gibbs not good enough? sorry but that's complete rubbish. He's an upgrade on Clichy and I'd prefer him over Santos. He had a shaky CL debut and since then has been injured quite a lot but he definetly has a lot of potential. Jenkinson still needs to improve but the early signs are encouraging. Sagna will remain at Arsenal for a long time so it's not a problem anyway. We're definetly not going to be buying any full-backs. We'll probably sell Squillaci and use Bartley as a utility man. If I were to have a wild guess I'd say we'll sign Podolski, Belhanda and M'vila this summer. Which would be a great bit of business providing we keep hold of RvP, Song and Theo and get rid of dead weight.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Gibbs not good enough? sorry but that's complete rubbish. He's an upgrade on Clichy and I'd prefer him over Santos. He had a shaky CL debut and since then has been injured quite a lot but he definetly has a lot of potential. Jenkinson still needs to improve but the early signs are encouraging. Sagna will remain at Arsenal for a long time so it's not a problem anyway. We're definetly not going to be buying any full-backs. We'll probably sell Squillaci and use Bartley as a utility man. If I were to have a wild guess I'd say we'll sign Podolski, Belhanda and M'vila this summer. Which would be a great bit of business providing we keep hold of RvP, Song and Theo and get rid of dead weight.

He might have potential but I'd agree that he's not good enough at present - going forward he's an upgrade on Clichy (though neither of them seem able to cross) but defensively I'm still never confident watching him.
Podolski's wages are going to a basic £90k a week with lucrative bonuses up to £120k a week which will probably get activated if we win the league or the CL. This confirms that the club are going to offer Robin a huge deal, I'm thinking something like £120k a week basic with another £30k if he leads us to trophies.

Latest