The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can you guys stop talking about Torres on an Arsenal thread please.

In other news, would you guys swap Bendtner for Sundeland's Richardson?
I'd accept a swap with Bendtner for a Greggs Cheese Pasty
Original post by jam277
Like CB91 said, our tactics don't work well with torres. Torres did score 9 league goals before he went to chelsea, had he carried on that form he would have got 18 goals for the season, since berbatov and tevez got 20, you wouldn't have said that he was poor, it was when he went to chelsea he started flopping, his touch was off, couldn't finish and couldn't do much, loss of confidence from playing poor in a few matches and going to a different team. He was then dropped for drogba, which just made it worse.

His touch is back, he can finish like before, and he isn't slow, he's not lightning quick like before though. He needs to change his game a little. He struggled with spain when he was in form for liverpool too because he wasn't adapted to the slow pace possession football, something that chelsea now play. He'll do well though. 50 million was always too much for him, like it was too much for kaka, only person who has been worth that ridiculous price tag or higher is ronaldo.

So when rooney wasn't scoring for ages, did you think fergie was going to offload him to real madrid?

Torres scored a few, but his actual performances were useless, im sure most liverpool fans will agree? he carried that form into the euros, so much so he hardly started for them.

He started flopping about a year before he joined chelsea. that is a FAT.....

I would disagree that his touch is back, and that he can finish before. Go back, Look at how he was playing 08-09 he was upstoppable. Now hes a joke...Lets be fair, even wigan wouldnt be scared of him. When i was at stamford bridge and saw he was starting against us over Drogba (suspended) i was well happy..

Theres a difference between Rooney not scoring for a 8-10 over Torres being poor for over 2 years.

Rooneys a different case, but hes not the player he once was either.
But yeah **** torres, we are arsenal !

Id swap bendtner for a pizza
Reply 1384
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Can you guys stop talking about Torres on an Arsenal thread please.

No. Would rather have £1mil.
Original post by Darth Vader 7

I would rather have neither tbh.
Original post by jam277
Exactly, he hit form then, we don't play quick football on the floor, we use slow build up play, so do spain. That's where the main problem lies, not just torres' actual ability. If you're not receiving the ball in the right positions the whole match and having to drop back as an AM or as a winger rather than be at the line of the defence getting defence splitting passes, you're going to lose confidence and you'll play crap and miss the sitter the one chance you have to score. That's why adebayor gets goals despite his sitters, because he's always getting the ball in the right positions so has loads of chances to score.

It's a slightly similar story to carroll, was playing well for newcastle because they were ready to hoof the ball up to him, liverpool play to his feet(unless it's gerrard who's the only supplier of goals with common sense on your team), this guy is no peter crouch to just control a cross to his feet and have the composure to score like he did against blackburn.

True, but Torres looks visibly less agile/quick than 2 years ago. He's just not the same player any more and as long as Chelsea play as they do he'll be a flop. He's still got that match winning quality (if the tactics/circumstances are right), but he won't be among the top strikers on the planet now even if he gets form back.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1387
Torres is atrocious atm. Now we will no longer discuss him. FINAL!!!
Original post by jam277
He's scored 4 goals for chelsea and has had good performances. Anyway, doesn't this same thing happen with david villa at barca and happened with rooney last year?

To be fair, if the Richardson story is true then who else can Wenger go for? We need someone to come in on a short-term basis and instantly do a job, so you're looking at current Prem players. No-one in the top 6 is going to give us anyone that isn't Bridge and no-one else is going to give us their first-choice LB. Who else is out there that is half-decent and at a club with a big enough squad to be able to allow them to leave? I can't think of anyone realistic that isn't a inexperienced youngster and if we go down that route we might as well play our own.

He'll get attacked if he doesn't bring anyone in, but we have plenty of defenders, just a freak concentrated injury crisis. There's no point getting anyone on anything but a short-term loan to see out the period until our fullbacks come back, unless it is a LB/LW like Vargas who can add to the squad other than being a stop-gap. Even then, by the time they adapted to the league/team our regulars would probably be back, so would we be any better off from the millions spent on a transfer fee/wages across a few years of contract?
I think we should swap bender for maclean, atleast maclean has a good first touch.
Original post by Panthalic
To be fair, if the Richardson story is true then who else can Wenger go for? We need someone to come in on a short-term basis and instantly do a job, so you're looking at current Prem players. No-one in the top 6 is going to give us anyone that isn't Bridge and no-one else is going to give us their first-choice LB. Who else is out there that is half-decent and at a club with a big enough squad to be able to allow them to leave? I can't think of anyone realistic that isn't a inexperienced youngster and if we go down that route we might as well play our own.

He'll get attacked if he doesn't bring anyone in, but we have plenty of defenders, just a freak concentrated injury crisis. There's no point getting anyone on anything but a short-term loan to see out the period until our fullbacks come back, unless it is a LB/LW like Vargas who can add to the squad other than being a stop-gap. Even then, by the time they adapted to the league/team our regulars would probably be back, so would we be any better off from the millions spent on a transfer fee/wages across a few years of contract?

Was thinking the same thing. What could he really do, it's the best of the rest, although he could look at someone from MLS on loan? If it doesn't affect the wage structure(seeing as arsene got henry it probably doesn't) then that means that he could get an MLS player, so it's an MLS player or second choice mid table left back?

By the way it's going, it's either that or he's gonna have squillaci playing left back, which I would love to see, but that's because I want chelsea to finish above you for the 7th season in a row.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by georgegabriel

4-1 champion league quarter final. Guess what match i'm talking about.
I'll give you a clue, the person who scored for you is on loan to a mid table team.

I agree that spending good money on a fullback is wasteful. Jenkinson is out long-term but Sagna is due back quite soon and he is first choice anyway. On the left there's a problem because Santos is dead and Gibbs' fitness is totally unreliable. But with Kos quietly becoming our strongest CB, Vermaelen can play on the left. Although he's dead now and somehow I just don't trust Wenger's 2-3 week estimate.

We might as well go to the bargain bin on the left back situation but it's annoying that it seems to be our solution for everything. Getting Henry for cover upfront is short-term fix and I think it's a very cheap way for the club to generate some excitement and let the transfer window opportunity slide under the radar. It has worked for me -- can't wait to see him in action again.
Original post by Overmars
I agree that spending good money on a fullback is wasteful. Jenkinson is out long-term but Sagna is due back quite soon and he is first choice anyway. On the left there's a problem because Santos is dead and Gibbs' fitness is totally unreliable. But with Kos quietly becoming our strongest CB, Vermaelen can play on the left. Although he's dead now and somehow I just don't trust Wenger's 2-3 week estimate.

We might as well go to the bargain bin on the left back situation but it's annoying that it seems to be our solution for everything. Getting Henry for cover upfront is short-term fix and I think it's a very cheap way for the club to generate some excitement and let the transfer window opportunity slide under the radar. It has worked for me -- can't wait to see him in action again.

If you were a bit quicker, you could of bought Konchesky off us. :awesome:
Original post by CB91
If you were a bit quicker, you could of bought Konchesky off us. :awesome:

Every cloud
Reply 1396

Agreed with this completely. While I would love to see someone like Vargas at the club, it probably wouldn't be the most sensible thing to do given our options in wide positions when everyone is fit in relation to the price he would command (he's Fiorentina's captain, plus there's reported interest from the likes of Chelsea). Richardson on a short-term deal wouldn't be too bad in terms of January business at all in my opinion.
Original post by Overmars

Wenger is getting bargain bin players. He is looking at a LB in Oman's second division. The team he is looking at is so bad they couldn't even make Oman's first division.
sigh here's zizali ....

Latest