The Student Room Group

Loughborough Art Foundation interview & drawing task?!

OK so my interview's at Loughborough for the Art Foundation course next Wednesday on the 11th of January; I've read various things on the internet, both generally & on TSR and I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview there yet - and completed the Kitchen Sink drawing task?

I have no idea what to expect, I've done the task and on the way to completing my A1 portfolio however I've read conflicting posts as to what actually happens on the day. There's been people saying they simply leave their portfolios in a room for half an hour whilst there's a talk, then come back and go without a 1 on 1 interview or w/e - but then I've read things about people having an interview with a course leader after the talk and having their portfolio viewed without them being there then going....seriously confused.

Not sure whether I've misconstrued the latter but could someone tell me what they did for the 'portfolio assessment'? Pleaaaseee??!! I'm panicking :L
:colondollar: Anyone reply !

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I also have an interview next Wednesday however my drawing task is still incomplete!

As far as the letter suggests, the one on one interviews are simply for any queries about your application and/or portfolio.

I don't think it's anything to panic about. But I'd also like to know of other people's experiences just in case, so please reply to this thread if you've had your interview! :smile:
Reply 2
heyy! ive also got mine on Wednesday! and im completely confused and stressed aswel, ive done the drawing task but im slightly confused.. when it says it has to completely fill the composition does it mean there can be no white space at all?
what are your portfolios like?
Reply 3
Original post by clyona1
heyy! ive also got mine on Wednesday! and im completely confused and stressed aswel, ive done the drawing task but im slightly confused.. when it says it has to completely fill the composition does it mean there can be no white space at all?
what are your portfolios like?

Hiiii :smile: I took that as meaning that you have to fill the 32 x 37 box completely with no space, so my drawing is limited within the rectangle, and in theory it'd spill out of the box if the whole composition were to be drawn.
I'm still doing my portfolio now, been doing it allllll day >.<, I've put in art I've been doing and my A level stuff, what about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
could you possibly post a link to your drawing so i can see it? not sure if mine is right..
ive been doing my portfolio all today aswel! i have my art and graphics AS an A2 work in it...
Reply 5
I would but it's not very good quality on here :L do you know what you're gonna wear? I went to one a couple of weeks ago and people were wearing like jeans but then there were people in suits :L
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
ahh no worries... NO IDEA! haha im stressing about it! i think im gonna go for something quite casual
Reply 7
yeah same :s-smilie: it's my first choice so really hope i get in, think i might go smart casual
Hey, just finished the drawing task, I think mine's similar to egrant's. It fills the entire box but if I carried on drawing it would spill onto the rest of the page. I wish we could add some shading though, mine looks a bit unconvincing in some places without it! May have to re-adjust it a bit.

I think my portfolio is only going to consist of around 19-20 A2 pages :s-smilie: and two A2(size) sketchbooks of my current A2 work. However, I've labelled one of them as still a work in progress.

I have quite a bit of drawing in there, and some photographs of 3D textile pieces. I've done one mini Fine Art project, a really small project on textiles and a few observational drawings outside of my school work, but that's as far as it goes with personal work :/ But I have also got a few sheets from a life drawing course I just finished as well.

From school I've just taken some of the best things out of my AS sketchbooks and mounted them onto paper, all of my work is quite small, hence the choice for A2.

And I think I'm going quite casual, I went to an interview last Wednesday and everyone was dressed very normally.

Oh and lastly, I've written all my annotations on the back of my sheets using pencil? I don't know if this is right as I've heard people write it in a corner on the front! I guess it doesn't matter that much?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah I think the fact we can't add tonal value makes the drawing very unforgiving in terms of accuracy; I was stood there for ages in front of my kitchen sink trying to get every exactly accurate to life :rolleyes:

My portfolio's A1 and I think it's about twenty too, although I'm still contemplating adding more work and I've got two sketch books :smile:

I've done annotations on the front of my sheets but I'm sure it doesn't matter which way you do it
Reply 10
yeah i agree about the task.. i think the point is that its never going to look amazing because its only line.. im worried i dont have any life drawing but my portfolio containts drawing, sketchbook work, printing, graphic work, film screen shots, and photographs of textile work... i havent added the annotation yet as i was unsure about this too...
Ask people who applied last year, im pretty sure there was a thread floating around somewhere.

EDIT: The thread is in the Loughborough University sub forum.
Reply 12
Original post by clyona1
yeah i agree about the task.. i think the point is that its never going to look amazing because its only line.. im worried i dont have any life drawing but my portfolio containts drawing, sketchbook work, printing, graphic work, film screen shots, and photographs of textile work... i havent added the annotation yet as i was unsure about this too...

The vast majority of drawing comes from life anyway so I bet they're presume the drawing you do have is from life :smile:
Reply 13
When I had my interview, from what I can remember (some years ago now- and i got the same kitchen sink task too.), you drop your portfolios off in a separate room, you each get an area with a board and you have to pin some of your work up. Then you have a tour of the place while they look through your work. After that you get called in for individual interviews.
Reply 14
Original post by Ham22
When I had my interview, from what I can remember (some years ago now- and i got the same kitchen sink task too.), you drop your portfolios off in a separate room, you each get an area with a board and you have to pin some of your work up. Then you have a tour of the place while they look through your work. After that you get called in for individual interviews.

Ok thanks, how long ago was that?
Reply 15
Original post by egrant
Ok thanks, how long ago was that?

2004!
Reply 16
Original post by Ham22
2004!

Wow! That seems such a long time ago! It's funny how they recycle the tasks :smile:
Reply 17
anyone have their assessment today? i just want to find out now! haha
Reply 18
Original post by clyona1
anyone have their assessment today? i just want to find out now! haha

what assessment? O.o
Reply 19
the loughborough portfolio assessment ahah

Quick Reply

Latest