The Student Room Group

Help with football boots needed

I haven't bought football boots since the days of junior football, which is all a blur to me now anyway.

I need a descent pair of black football boots that I can use for playing football on grass and perhaps astro-turf, but also for refereeing matches. A bit of colour is fine, as long as it is mostly black for the refereeing. What boots should I be looking at?

I can't remember how boots should fit, should they be snug and tight, or comfortably loose? Which studs are best for multi surface use?

Please help me.
Reply 1
Original post by Seb
I haven't bought football boots since the days of junior football, which is all a blur to me now anyway.

I need a descent pair of black football boots that I can use for playing football on grass and perhaps astro-turf, but also for refereeing matches. A bit of colour is fine, as long as it is mostly black for the refereeing. What boots should I be looking at?

I can't remember how boots should fit, should they be snug and tight, or comfortably loose? Which studs are best for multi surface use?

Please help me.

You're best buying 2 different pairs. One for grass pitches and another rubber studded pair for all weather surfaces.

Football boots should be a relatively close fir for good touch and ball control, but not that tight that they are uncomfortable after 120 minutes of playing.

I recommend the Adidas Adipure range of boots that are black leather, and for the all weather surface boots I recommend Adidas copa mundial.

Both great boots that last a long while if looked after correctly :smile:
Reply 2
get some astros.
Reply 3
Original post by Seb

Please help me.

For multi-surface use, moulded studs are the best, but not too long (I think, personally). I prefer mine to be fairly tight, so that there's no movement whilst I'm running. As for make of boots, it's really a personal decision. These sites may help:

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00314O3V4/ref=asc_df_B00314O3V45956517/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B00314O3V4&linkCode=asn
Reply 4
Seb
OP
Original post by fletchdd02
You're best buying 2 different pairs. One for grass pitches and another rubber studded pair for all weather surfaces.

Football boots should be a relatively close fir for good touch and ball control, but not that tight that they are uncomfortable after 120 minutes of playing.

I recommend the Adidas Adipure range of boots that are black leather, and for the all weather surface boots I recommend Adidas copa mundial.

I see, thank you. I'll probably buy just the grass ones for now, and until I have to play/ref on astro, save some money. The ones you pointed out look good. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

Agreed. I played in Adipures for the last year or so, and they were definitely my favourites, far more so than Total 90's. :biggrin: I have Predators now which definitely aren't as good...:rolleyes:
Reply 6
if your playing maybe plastic studs as there less dangerous but when your not metal studs are fine. a snug fit would be more comfortable but make sure there not to lose as that could cause problems.
btw i'd get them before the sales are over =)
Reply 7
Original post by KingMessi
Agreed. I played in Adipures for the last year or so, and they were definitely my favourites, far more so than Total 90's. :biggrin: I have Predators now which definitely aren't as good...:rolleyes:

The Adidas Heritage range have always been the best boots.

Take your T90s, CRT360s and everything.

A good kangaroo leather boot will always be superior!
Reply 8
Seb
OP
For multi-surface use, moulded studs are the best, but not too long (I think, personally). I prefer mine to be fairly tight, so that there's no movement whilst I'm running. As for make of boots, it's really a personal decision. These sites may help:

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00314O3V4/ref=asc_df_B00314O3V45956517/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B00314O3V4&linkCode=asn

That's a great site, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. And some good advice there, thank you.
Reply 9
The Adidas Heritage range have always been the best boots.

Take your T90s, CRT360s and everything.

A good kangaroo leather boot will always be superior!

Are the Adipures part of the Addidas Heritage range? I'm sorry if I appear dense; it's not a range I'm familiar with. Agreed about the kangaroo leathers being superior, though.

Original post by Seb
That's a great site, I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. And some good advice there, thank you.

No problem, I've been using the site for years. Always trustworthy.
Reply 10
Original post by Seb

Please help me.

Dude, I'm a referee too (as the name suggest!) whoop whoop!

I have the Adidas World Cup Range, the astos, the Copa Mundial Mouldee's and the World Cup studs. this doesn't exactly keep the bank balance happy but they sure do the job.

A cheaper alternative would be the Kaizer range, basically the same as World Cup but the leather isn't quite as 'good quality'.

If your not interested in more than one pair, than the Adidas Copa Mundial Mouldee's, or the Kaizer mouldee's. The little black plastic studs are just enough grip for a wet day (if not, you can easily take them out to swap with metal studs), but also small enough not to cause any discomfort on a hard pitch.

In general, Adidas are fairly snug and breathable, although the Copa Mundials are much more breathable than the Kaizers.

:smile:
Reply 11
Are the Adipures part of the Addidas Heritage range? I'm sorry if I appear dense; it's not a range I'm familiar with. Agreed about the kangaroo leathers being superior, though.

Yes they are, a bit more of a modern streak in the new range compared to the previous versions. The slightly cheaper alternative to the AdiNovas.
Original post by Reffariiii
Yes they are, a bit more of a modern streak in the new range compared to the previous versions. The slightly cheaper alternative to the AdiNovas.

Ah, okay. I shall have a look when I come to purchasing my next pair of boots, which will probably be in the summer - the Predators and I haven't taken to each other that much.
Reply 13
Seb
OP
Original post by Reffariiii
Dude, I'm a referee too (as the name suggest!) whoop whoop!

I have the Adidas World Cup Range, the astos, the Copa Mundial Mouldee's and the World Cup studs. this doesn't exactly keep the bank balance happy but they sure do the job.

A cheaper alternative would be the Kaizer range, basically the same as World Cup but the leather isn't quite as 'good quality'.

If your not interested in more than one pair, than the Adidas Copa Mundial Mouldee's, or the Kaizer mouldee's. The little black plastic studs are just enough grip for a wet day (if not, you can easily take them out to swap with metal studs), but also small enough not to cause any discomfort on a hard pitch.

In general, Adidas are fairly snug and breathable, although the Copa Mundials are much more breathable than the Kaizers.

:smile:

Hoorah! Cool! Well, I'll look into those. I'm interested, do you simple pull out the plastic studs and screw in the metal ones?
I suppose I can justify paying a bit more for the copa mundials/world cup pair, since I'll probably use them for the next couple of years at least.

Thank you for your help!
Synthetic shoes are more than fine. You don't need expensive shoes if you haven't played for years.
Reply 15
Seb
OP
Original post by pinouche13
Synthetic shoes are more than fine. You don't need expensive shoes if you haven't played for years.

I suppose, but I plan on playing for the next 4 years or so at uni so it'll probably be worth the while, or rather the money.
Reply 16
Original post by Seb
Hoorah! Cool! Well, I'll look into those. I'm interested, do you simple pull out the plastic studs and screw in the metal ones?
I suppose I can justify paying a bit more for the copa mundials/world cup pair, since I'll probably use them for the next couple of years at least.

Thank you for your help!

Indeed, there are groves on mine and you can unscrew them wid a standard stud spanner, however I am aware that a phew people say that this is no longer the case, so its best checking!

If they don't have the groves a wrench might do?! If not, its possible to purchase the Soft Ground metal studded version and also purchase small plastic studs, that would do the trick. :smile:
Original post by Seb
I suppose, but I plan on playing for the next 4 years or so at uni so it'll probably be worth the while, or rather the money.

Sure it will worth it, it's always better to pay the price and have good quality. I meant synthetic shoes are good quality and cheaper than leather ones. If you play in defense, then you deserve the best!

Quick Reply

Latest