The Student Room Group

Accutane on NHS - anyone with expirience?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Did either of you expirience an initial breakout?

Yes but mine didn't start till about 2 months in, but it went away after about 3 weeks. I think it varies and depends on the individual. Some people don't get the initial breakout, some get it quite mild, unfortunately for me my acne was quite stubborn!
Reply 21
Thanks for all the posts, a last question did anyone drink whilst on it?

Can't find concrete answers on this anywhere, it seems its not advised but still possible as long as you don't overdo it. Does it effect the treatment?
I drank. Not much, and I seemed to get drunk faster. Accutane + alcohol = bad for liver...
Original post by Anonymous
Right so I'm 21, acnes not severe but have had three rounds of antibiotics, BP, some other topicals and nothings worked. GP was still hesitant to write out a referal but did eventually, booked an appointment, seeing a dermatologist later this month. I was just wondering:

1-Will I get the meds on the day of my appointment?
2-Do I take the blood test on the day of my appointment?

Basically just wondering how long before my trip to the derm and me starting my course? Waited five months for this appointment starting to get impatient.

It basically shrinks all of the sweat glands in you face, so you'll find literally after exercise etc. you don't sweat and instead get a really hot face. You MUST moisturise around the lips and the nostrils, or it gets crazily dry. Also the medicine F**ks up your hormones so expect some pretty erratic mood changes. It's a horrible drug, but does the job - it's worth really pushing the dose high towards the end and really maximising the effect of the drug, even though the side effects get worse, the effect last longer, and is likely to improve your skin even further.

You might be prescribed isotretinoin - a generic version, as accutain is like a brand name i think. Be honest with the doctor about how you are feeling - remember, it messes with your hormones, not just your skin.
I had severe acne. I was on Isotretinion/Roaccutane for more than a year. I can't remember the dosage,it was probably between 40-80mg a day. Strong stuff. There are a few things to look out for:
Dry skin, like really dry, and lips too.
Nose bleeds.
Depression- Affects some people. I don't want to scare you but i did lose significant interest in school and hobbies at the time. Can't say though whether that was all down to the drug or just me. Probably a mixture of the two.
I was on Roaccutane for about a year. I did get very dry lips and slightly more dry skin in general, but other than that I didn't really suffer so I was lucky. At times it did make me feel really unwell, just in general. Keep moisturising and you should be fine.

They will keep doing blood tests to check your liver function throughout your treatment. If you are a girl, it's also compulsory that you take birth control for the course of your treatment - roaccutane and pregnancy do not mix. I had to sign a disclaimer before treatment that I would take birth control and that should I get pregnant I consent to an abortion.

It worked perfectly for me, got worse for a few months and then cleared up in no time at all. It really is good stuff!

There is also absolutely NO link between diet and acne. Personally, I believe my qualified dermatologist and the regulated, scientific, controlled dermatological research over "moonbase".
Reply 26
I took roacctuane 20 years ago-I tied myself off on the banister and jumped. The bout of depression was so severe my world had crashed. I was on a degree course at kings in London, so had everything to live for. I can't explain how severe the depression was. They didn't advise me properly about the side effects and when I was in hospital on life support for three day's and I came out of it-started breathing un-assisted. When I woke up and tried to go home, but could't remember whereI was!! They were more concerned with whether I was going to sue or not! twenty years later I'm back studying for a degree. My daughter is also severely effected with acne and she took a course of roacctuane as well. Luckily she new about the side effects and battled the depression. Was it worth it all? Not reallty I still have acne!
Reply 27
Hello,

I am considering going to see a Dermatologist here in the UK as I'm suffering from cystic acne and nearly 20 years old. I am wondering how your experience was on Roaccutane? Also, did it work and did you have to pay for the medication?
I got a referral from my gp after trying 5 different anti biotics and a load of creams. Had to wait 5 months on am appointment and they turned me down . They said although my acne was persistent and i gad spots on my face almost all the time. It wasn't bad enough to start accutane! To paw i was getting was am understatement. I now going to a private clinic next week and I'm hoping for a more positive outcome. I'm 35 and a mum of 3. My skin is killing my confidence day by day
Reply 29
There is also absolutely NO link between diet and acne. Personally, I believe my qualified dermatologist and the regulated, scientific, controlled dermatological research over "moonbase".

There IS! Intestine is the LARGEST organ in your body and when it doesn't work properly it works as a TRIGGER to more problems in your body! We are what we eat!
No one is naive enough to think that "Big Pharma" stop doing their business :P
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Freak Out
Lol because the NHS are the be all and end all. It's an acne website, devoted to that one problem. I'm more likely to trust a post which evidently has had TONS of research contributed. Many members have been doing intensive research and trial and errors for ages and know their skin better than a service which covers a broad range of illnesses but probably not to the very core. Most of whom who work there aren't acne experts I assume, at least not with an open mind if it doesn't match their criteria... If dermatologists can be inaccurate in even simple cases (the things I've been told when a mere Google search could have told me otherwise just proves not all of them are all that) so who's to say that it's stupid seek information elsewhere? This is just one dietary related post of many, and in every case that I've seen most have noted improvements or a complete clearup... So...

In my case, I could have my skin under control for months, but the moment I go out and have a bit more of a certain food than usual I have a breakout over the next few days. I'm not forcing you to believe it but this information is no more than helpful advice and is factual (there's no golden rule, it's not a simple case of dont' eat sugar, don't eat red meat... you need to find out what your own skin can handle), they're not selling anything... It wouldn't hurt to try it if you're so desperate to get rid of your acne.

I think there's a big difference between skin imperfections/patchiness or teenage spots and acne. Things like eating less dairy may help the skin's overall complexion, but cannot clear up actual acne. I think many people mislabel spots they get as acne, when in fact acne is a skin condition that can be helped slightly by, but not solved by changes in diet.
Reply 31
If you're female you have to be on some form of contraception so I recomend being on it before you go to your appointment. You have to be on this for a month before you can start taking roaccutaine (what I'm on). It's working wonders on my skin but I'm really feeling the side effects. They upped my dosage last week to 40mg a day and I'm feeling the pain! I get back pain when I move, joint pain, pins and needles in my hand, tender breasts, constipation, dry skin, peeling lips and depression but keep telling yourself that it will be worth it. You feel like absolute shite for 6 months to a year but you get clear skin for the rest of your life! Good luck! Hope I helped:smile:
Thank you so much for giving a balanced view; I've been told to consider going onto roaccutaine but everyone else just seems to be scaremongering me away from it. It's nice to know that it really can have the desired effects; I'm just really tired of the assumptions that people make about people with acne and at this point would do anything to escape it.
Just a quick question; how long do you usually have to stay on it for for it to really have an impact (at least in your case)? Just curious as I have no experience of it nor do any of my friends.
Original post by nomnomnoodles
Thank you so much for giving a balanced view; I've been told to consider going onto roaccutaine but everyone else just seems to be scaremongering me away from it. It's nice to know that it really can have the desired effects; I'm just really tired of the assumptions that people make about people with acne and at this point would do anything to escape it.
Just a quick question; how long do you usually have to stay on it for for it to really have an impact (at least in your case)? Just curious as I have no experience of it nor do any of my friends.

I was on Roaccutane for, I think, 5-6 months? It wasn't that bad. I did drink while on it, although very rarely and in moderation, and never had any problems. I got the side-effects you'd expect: my face and lips were very dry, my face was flaking for a while although that got better in a few weeks. I was visibly a bit red, but to be honest I don't think most people would notice. One very good side-effect I got was that my hair, which is usually obscenely greasy, was always dry. After I stopped the medication, my face and hair gradually went back to being as greasy as they were before it.

I was worried my acne would return but it didn't really. My face isn't entirely clear: my skin is pretty ****, a bit red and patchy, but much better than before the medication. I still get spots on occasion, but it's just one or two small ones, nothing big. I think at one point some big ones did return, but they didn't last long.

That said, since finishing the medication I've been washing my face every morning and night, making sure it's always dried out, which probably contributed to the acne not returning.
Original post by JordanL_
I was on Roaccutane for, I think, 5-6 months? It wasn't that bad. I did drink while on it, although very rarely and in moderation, and never had any problems. I got the side-effects you'd expect: my face and lips were very dry, my face was flaking for a while although that got better in a few weeks. I was visibly a bit red, but to be honest I don't think most people would notice. One very good side-effect I got was that my hair, which is usually obscenely greasy, was always dry. After I stopped the medication, my face and hair gradually went back to being as greasy as they were before it.

I was worried my acne would return but it didn't really. My face isn't entirely clear: my skin is pretty ****, a bit red and patchy, but much better than before the medication. I still get spots on occasion, but it's just one or two small ones, nothing big. I think at one point some big ones did return, but they didn't last long.

That said, since finishing the medication I've been washing my face every morning and night, making sure it's always dried out, which probably contributed to the acne not returning.

I don't drink at all anyway, but it's nice to know I have the option. Do you think that the dryness decreased the longer you took it/as your body adjusted to the drug? Was sunlight ever a problem (it advises apparently to avoid the sun but I wonder how much of an issue it is aside from not being able to sit out in the sun).
For me; I've forced myself to go as dairy free as possible. I think I have pizza maybe once a month and that's usually the only time I have dairy and I exercise a lot more than I used to (pretty much every day now) so my skin has been helped a bit by that. I just get almost jealous when I see people with perfect skin being able to eat a chocolate bar and not have to worry about what will happen the next day.
I guess the biggest question I have is this; knowing what you know now, would you still take roaccutaine if offered it?
I don't drink at all anyway, but it's nice to know I have the option. Do you think that the dryness decreased the longer you took it/as your body adjusted to the drug? Was sunlight ever a problem (it advises apparently to avoid the sun but I wonder how much of an issue it is aside from not being able to sit out in the sun).
For me; I've forced myself to go as dairy free as possible. I think I have pizza maybe once a month and that's usually the only time I have dairy and I exercise a lot more than I used to (pretty much every day now) so my skin has been helped a bit by that. I just get almost jealous when I see people with perfect skin being able to eat a chocolate bar and not have to worry about what will happen the next day.
I guess the biggest question I have is this; knowing what you know now, would you still take roaccutaine if offered it?

Sorry, thought I'd already replied to this!

I'd definitely take it again. The dryness got better - in the first few weeks my skin was flaking a bit and my face was a bit red, but that cleared up maybe a month in. I don't leave my house often enough for sunlight to be a problem :colondollar: but I could imagine it making sunburn a little bit worse since your face is already dry. I don't think it'd be a problem as long as you put some sun cream on.
Original post by JordanL_
Sorry, thought I'd already replied to this!

I'd definitely take it again. The dryness got better - in the first few weeks my skin was flaking a bit and my face was a bit red, but that cleared up maybe a month in. I don't leave my house often enough for sunlight to be a problem :colondollar: but I could imagine it making sunburn a little bit worse since your face is already dry. I don't think it'd be a problem as long as you put some sun cream on.

No worries :smile: Acne does seem to apply more to us introverts than anyone else :') Thanks for the advice; having a testimony from a real human is definitely nicer than just hearing a cold medical opinion :smile: Oh and this crossed my mind the other day; in terms of skin being oily even without acne, have you tried taking fish oil tablets? I found it helps.
No worries :smile: Acne does seem to apply more to us introverts than anyone else :':wink: Thanks for the advice; having a testimony from a real human is definitely nicer than just hearing a cold medical opinion :smile: Oh and this crossed my mind the other day; in terms of skin being oily even without acne, have you tried taking fish oil tablets? I found it helps.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that but I'll give it a try.

Good luck with the Roaccutane if you decide to try it! :smile:
Reply 38
Hi guys im hoping to start roaccutane soon, my doctor referred me and said ill most likely be put on it and im going to be booking my appointment at the derm in the next few days. Im not on birth control but would it speed up the process if i started taking bc as soon as possible before the appointment? Because i dont want to be waiting another month after ive had the appointment to start accutane, thanks guys
Original post by kimmrg90
Hi guys im hoping to start roaccutane soon, my doctor referred me and said ill most likely be put on it and im going to be booking my appointment at the derm in the next few days. Im not on birth control but would it speed up the process if i started taking bc as soon as possible before the appointment? Because i dont want to be waiting another month after ive had the appointment to start accutane, thanks guys

Hey hey, you can take it alongside roaccutane. I didn't have to take the pill prior. You will require monthly blood tests (unless things have changed since).

Quick Reply

Latest