The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Spam-mi-am
Apparently this is a peaceful protest that is aiming to exclude 'fringe' elements.

Why do they need to protest in London? As far as I'm aware the objects of outrage havn't been published by the UK press.
JonathanH
Get Michael Winner to do an ad saying:
"Calm down love, it's only a cartoon"

He so should.
Reply 22
That is obviously the way forward.
Reply 23
When 100,000 Muslims march in protest of a cartoon in a foreign newspaper, is it any wonder that Islam gets the reputation of being an extremist religion?

Just a thought.

On a more serious note I'm glad that (moderate) Muslims are beginning to stand up against the extremists within their faith. I think it is a necessary step as much of the Islamic extremism could be solved by the Muslim community itself. If the young, perhaps desperate, Muslims can hear the moderate voice of Islam it is less likely they will be brainwashed by the extremist version of Islam.

Did anyone watch This Week [best political programme on TV] on Thursday? They had the runner-up from The Apprentice on. She is a moderate Muslim and suggested that if the extremists don't like it in Britain, they should leave. If anyone remebers her from The Apprentice, then you know how convincing she can be - definately the sort of person moderate Muslims need to speak up for them.
Reply 24
Howard
Why do they need to protest in London? As far as I'm aware the objects of outrage havn't been published by the UK press.

You're right that they haven't been published in Britain. I think the point is that it's also a march against Islamophobia in general, something that has been stirred up thanks to extremist muslims with slogans like "Massacre those who insult Islam", as well as a march expressing that such cartoons internationally insult those of the Muslim faith whereever they are published.
What is islamaphobia? I was interested in Islam and have to spoken to many and Islam has many different sides to it. I know the moderate Muslims are cool and kind and all that but according to the true Islam they're not really Muslim at all. That's what i've been learning.
harrison1984
What is islamaphobia? I was interested in Islam and have to spoken to many and Islam has many different sides to it. I know the moderate Muslims are cool and kind and all that but according to the true Islam they're not really Muslim at all. That's what i've been learning.
I agree with all that unfortunately. I think I would be classed as a moderate muslim, I really hate the way some of the muslim protesters are saying "kill all the non-believers" and I'm also very angry of the people who created those cartoons. Both sides are wrong, and the extremists are making this harder for us muslims to live with, because of the increase in anti-islam in the UK :frown:
Islam is a wonderful peaceful religion, it does not support hate for other religions, and yes its very offensive for us if pics of the Prophet (pbuh) are drawn. But I wish the extremists wouldnt take it so far and burn down the danish places :frown: There are always some aren't there, which is then generalised to ALL muslims by the media. :frown:
Oh, this is the 4,000-strong MCB-organised protest. How stories grow in the telling.

And actually, Cardiff University's student magazine published one of the cartoons as part of its article on the dispute. The editor was, of course, fired.

Personally I would have fired him for having the earth-shakingly unfunny pun "What's Allah Fuss About" as the title, but that's another story.
Reply 28
From my own experience, muslims are intolerant of non-believers within their families.
Reply 29
Spam-mi-am
You're right that they haven't been published in Britain. I think the point is that it's also a march against Islamophobia in general, something that has been stirred up thanks to extremist muslims with slogans like "Massacre those who insult Islam", as well as a march expressing that such cartoons internationally insult those of the Muslim faith whereever they are published.

Quite. One can't help but deduce that there'd be a lot less islamophobia if they stopped rioting, burning embassies, and waving signs in front of our noses informing us that our 9/11 is on the way etc. They are the architects of their own PR disaster.
Reply 30
Agent Smith
Oh, this is the 4,000-strong MCB-organised protest. How stories grow in the telling.

And actually, Cardiff University's student magazine published one of the cartoons as part of its article on the dispute. The editor was, of course, fired.

Personally I would have fired him for having the earth-shakingly unfunny pun "What's Allah Fuss About" as the title, but that's another story.

So much for free speech at the University of Cardiff then. Mind you, I doubt the editor is worried. With headline grabbing titles like "What's Allah Fuss About" he is well on the way to a long and lucrative career in red top journalism!
Reply 31
Rebekkah Wade of the future!
shadowkin
whats true Islam then?

From what i've been learning, its obsessive compulsary disorder.:biggrin:

Honestly, Its quite violent, and Mohammed compared to Jesus was a sex maniac, violent and truly sadistic.

How he could he be pure, bonking his slaves and children left, right and centre?

Apart from that, he stole alot of things from the bible and the Torah, invented all this crap to kill non-believers amonsgt alot of other things. Is all the man ever done was shag and kill people.

Peace be upon Jesus, for he was the truly pure and sinless man. :wink:

Tell me Shadowskin what is the 'true Islam'?

If you practice Islam moderately I don't see much violent, start learning it too much that is where the trouble starts. :hmmm:
Au contraire. Converts to Islam, who have had to do a whole lot more learning than those brought up to it, are often the moderates.
harrison1984
From what i've been learning, its obsessive compulsary disorder.:biggrin:

Honestly, Its quite violent, and Mohammed compared to Jesus was a sex maniac, violent and truly sadistic.

How he could he be pure, bonking his slaves and children left, right and centre?

Apart from that, he stole alot of things from the bible and the Torah, invented all this crap to kill non-believers amonsgt alot of other things. Is all the man ever done was shag and kill people.

Peace be upon Jesus, for he was the truly pure and sinless man. :wink:

Tell me Shadowskin what is the 'true Islam'?

If you practice Islam moderately I don't see much violent, start learning it too much that is where the trouble starts. :hmmm:

He didnt start the kill the non-believers 'thing'. There is nothing like that. Read a book for goodness sake - and not Salman Rushdie. I'll post an article for u - keep your eyes peeled.
This is part of a Jamal Badawi talk that i repeatedly quote for people like Harrison.

It should be noted from the beginning that the very term Islam implies that peace is the basis and the norm of Muslim/non-Muslim relations. Islam is derived from the Arabic root S-L-M, whose generic meaning includes the concepts of peace and submission. From a spiritual perspective, Islam may be defined as attaining peace through submission to Allah or the state of peace in submission to Allah. Ample references in the Qur’an and Hadith reveal that this concept of peace embraces peace with God, inner peace as a result of that relationship with God, peace with humans, peace with the animal world, peace with vegetation, and peace with the ecological order.
For Muslims, this “generic Islam” has been the core of all prophetic teachings throughout human history. Key theological and eschatological Qur’anic terms are derived from the same Arabic root, S-L-M. One of God’s names or attributes is As-Salam, meaning “the peace” or “the source of peace.” Paradise is called the home or abode of peace. As they enter Paradise, angels greet believers with the greeting “peace be with you,” the same greeting that will be exchanged between the dwellers of Paradise. It is also the standard greeting among Muslims worldwide. Peace also lies at the heart of the universally accepted five major objectives (maqasid) of Shari`ah (Islamic jurisprudence), to safeguard faith, life, mind, honor and property. Peaceful relationships among human beings include various circles such as family, community, society, and humanity at large. It includes relationships with fellow believers in Islam and with humanity at large. The focus of this section, however, is on the universal concepts and values underlying the relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims. They include the following:
Faith in the One Universal God (Allah in Arabic): Islam is founded on the belief that there is only one God (Allah in Arabic), Who is the universal Creator, Sustainer, and Cherisher of all. Being the sole creator of all humankind precludes any notion of multiple, competing creators, each marshalling his creation against the other “gods” and their creation. Allah is One and is impartial toward His creation. He provides for all, including those who reject faith in Him or even those who defy Him. He cares for the well-being of all and gives them ample opportunity to repent to Him and end the state of separateness suffered by those who reject Him or are unmindful of Him. This belief implies that all humans are equal before Allah in terms of their humanity, irrespective of their particular beliefs. Only Allah is the ultimate judge of any person’s “theological correctness.” No human should be oppressed or mistreated by other fellow humans because of a perceived “theological incorrectness.”
Unity and universality of the core teachings of all prophets: That core message is peace in submission to Allah, literally Islam. According to the Qur’an, a Muslim must accept, revere, and believe in all the prophets of Allah, without discrimination. They all represent one brotherhood of faith extending vertically to include many generations and horizontally to embrace all humanity. In the Qur’an we read [we (Muslims) make no distinction between any of His messengers (God’s messengers)] (Al-Baqarah 2:285). We read also [Behold, We have revealed to you (O Muhammad) as We revealed to Noah and all the prophets after him] (Al-Nisaa’ 4:163). Still in another verse we read [In matters of faith, He (God) has ordained for you that which He had enjoined upon Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: steadfastly uphold the (true) faith and make no divisions therein] (Ash-Shura 42:13). These Qur’anic texts preclude the notion of narrow partisanship that may lead to hatred or even violence against communities who perceive themselves as followers of other prophets.
Universal human dignity: The Qur’an gives various reasons why each human being must be honored and dignified on account of being human and irrespective of his or her chosen beliefs. Such honor is symbolized by the way the Qur’an describes Allah’s creation of the human in the best of molds and commanding the angels to bow down in respect to Adam.
The Qur’an describes the human as the trustee of Allah on earth. Allah created everything on earth and in the heavens for the benefit of the human race. Sanctity of human life is affirmed in the Qur’an [Nor take life, which God has made sacred, except for just cause] (Al-Israa’ 17:33). The Qur’an confirms God’s revelation to previous prophets that [If anyone slays a human being, unless it be (punishment) for murder, or for spreading mischief on earth, it shall be as though he had slain all humankind; whereas, if anyone saves a life, it shall be as though he had saved the lives of all humankind] (Al-Ma’idah 5:32). Beyond sanctity of life, in the Qur’an we read [Indeed, We (God) have conferred dignity on the children of Adam] (Al-Israa’ 17:70). It is noted that this verse is inclusive of all humans, irrespective of their religion or even their belief in God.
Rejection of belief in God will surely have consequences in the afterlife. However, it is up to God to determine these consequences. Such future determination has no bearing on the respect of the humanity of every person in this life. After all, the human is a free agent, and as such, each is individually responsible before God for his or her beliefs and moral choices. A person can be held accountable in this life only if such a moral choice infringes on the rights of individuals or society, such as the commission of crimes or acts of aggression. In other words, no human is entitled to dehumanize or punish another on the sole ground that the later is following a different religion or no religion at all. This value implies that peaceful co-existence among followers of all religions and respecting their humanity is not only possible, but also mandated in the Qur’an.
Thank you that was most helpful.
100,000 muslims! Doesn't look that way unless 95,000 are held up in traffic.
Reply 38
Apparently 10,000 attended.
harrison1984
Thank you that was most helpful.

Would you like the rest of the paper? It was the research he conducted before giving a lecture that i saw. PM me with your email address and i shall email you the rest. It contains his working and is truly fascinating - probably even more so for someone learning about islam like yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending