The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Question for BEng students. Thanks

Hello :]

I've just been looking on the OU engineering website at what modules they recommend could be taken to go along the mechanical engineering route.
http://engineering.open.ac.uk/80257687005D5101/(httpAdHocPages)/34B6E4193D762EE4802576AC0051DBBA?OpenDocument

I've simmered it down to the following modules which I had already decided on doing before reading it..

Modules - Level 1
T173 Engineering the future 30 credits
TXR120 Engineering: an active introduction (residential module)10 credits
T191 Personal and career development in engineering15 credits
MST121 Using mathematics 30 credits

Modules - Level 2
T207 Engineering: mechanics, materials, design 60 credits
TXR220 Engineering in action (residential module)10 credits
MST209 Mathematical methods and models 60 credits
MS221 Exploring mathematics 30 credits

Modules - Level 3
T356 Engineering small worlds: micro and nanotechnologies 30 credits**
T357 Structural integrity: designing against failure 30 credits
T397 Key skills for professional engineers 15 credits
MST326 Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics 30 credits
T450 The engineering project 30 credits

**T356 will no longer be a module by the time I get to it so I'll be picking out something else.

Following completion of the degree I will probably be planning on going to a conventional university to complete a masters. This is a long way away but I'm just looking so that I can work towards something. I'm unsure what masters I will want to do and probably won't decide for a while yet.

So I've been looking at masters courses at full time conventional universities (Newcastle / Northumbria). And the requirements for programmes such as 'Structural Engineering' and 'Civil Engineering' simply state that the requirement is "A minimum of a second-class BEng Honours degree"

However, for courses such as 'Mechanical Engineering' the requirement is "Generally a second-class Honours degree, or equivalent, in mechanical engineering."

Now I don't know what people learn on a full time degree course in Mechanical Engineering at a conventional university, but for those students who know a bit more about the subject, would you say that the OU content covers enough aspects of mechanical engineering (with the modules that I have stated above) for one to go straight onto a full time MEng course in Mechanical Engineering, following completion of an OU BEng degree?

The OU BEng degree (B65) seems to give a very broad overview of the subject of engineering, and my concern is that perhaps when going into postgraduate study at a conventional university one might struggle due to being a jack of all trades, master of none?

Advice / info appreciated thankyouuu :biggrin:

Edit: I can imagine that an OU student will have significantly less practical experience than a 'normal' student.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Kidding arent you? B65 was designed for mech eng students with the OU, so the IET, etc could accredit the degree. Us poor electronic engineers however are screwed, and have to do computery courses to make ours up...
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by bufferz
Kidding arent you? B65 was designed for mech eng students with the OU, so the IET, etc could accredit the degree. Us poor electronic engineers however are screwed, and have to do computery courses to make ours up...

:P Just thought i'd ask cos I don't really know how in depth the content of the modules go into for specific aspects!:smile:
Reply 3
if you look on the engineering website through the OU, and click on the accreditation pages, it shows that for a mech route, you are really restricted with what you can do if you want accreditations for the degree, http://engineering.open.ac.uk/accreditation

All of
T173,T191,MST121
T207,T397,T450

(b) IMechE specified modules
TXR120,TXR220,T357,

plus one of
T211,MS221

plus one of
T306,T307,T356,MST326

So, out of the minimum of 360 credits required for the BEng (Hons), if you are to
satisfy the IMechE’s specifications plus the OU’s compulsory modules, you will have
to offer at least 290 credits and as many as 350 credits that follow the scheme in
Table 1. What you choose to study for the minimum remaining balance of between
70 and 10 credits must of course fit with the B65 BEng (Hons) study requirements in
terms both of level and of selection of T, M or S module codes.

So its only MST209 you may have to bin off....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bufferz
if you look on the engineering website through the OU, and click on the accreditation pages, it shows that for a mech route, you are really restricted with what you can do if you want accreditations for the degree, http://engineering.open.ac.uk/accreditation

All of
T173,T191,MST121
T207,T397,T450

(b) IMechE specified modules
TXR120,TXR220,T357,

plus one of
T211,MS221

plus one of
T306,T307,T356,MST326

So, out of the minimum of 360 credits required for the BEng (Hons), if you are to
satisfy the IMechE’s specifications plus the OU’s compulsory modules, you will have
to offer at least 290 credits and as many as 350 credits that follow the scheme in
Table 1. What you choose to study for the minimum remaining balance of between
70 and 10 credits must of course fit with the B65 BEng (Hons) study requirements in
terms both of level and of selection of T, M or S module codes.

So its only MST209 you may have to bin off....

Thanks,

I suppose I those 70 credits could be 1x level 3 (30 credits) module which would be required.. then still do MST209 and only count it as 40 credits, which is allowed as i've already asked :smile: I think the materials in MST209 will be vital if i was to do MST326 :l
Bro, who puts "thanks" in the title? Learn to TSR.
Reply 6
Some of us were discussing this last year. The OU certainly needs to add more engineering modules if it wants to attract lots of younger students to its BEng. The OU is world leader in space systems yet doesn't really have aeronautical or electronic engineering pathways. It looks a better bet for civil and mech engineers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
For mechanical engineers after graduation, the following knowledge is assumed
1. Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer.
2. Mateial Science
3. Fluid Mechanics
4. Hydraulics and Turbomachinery
5. Pumps, Compressors and Gas Trubines
6. Refrigeration, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
7. Machine Design

Quick Reply

Latest