The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverArch
I'm a Wood Elf called Holly Short (with some funny accents over the o's and y). Showing my Artemis Fowl obsession just slightly :biggrin:

You?

I'm a Level 18 Khajiit, cause I like cats :biggrin: I can't remember mine's name, I made it ages ago. Which quest are you on?
Original post by LipstickKisses
I'm a Level 18 Khajiit, cause I like cats :biggrin: I can't remember mine's name, I made it ages ago. Which quest are you on?

Still near the start. Retrieved the dragonstone from the Barrows, now I have to fight a dragon near Whiterun -can't remember the name of it though :s-smilie:

I'm also enjoying stealing from people's houses :ninja: :biggrin:
Still near the start. Retrieved the dragonstone from the Barrows, now I have to fight a dragon near Whiterun -can't remember the name of it though :s-smilie:

I'm also enjoying stealing from people's houses :ninja: :biggrin:

Oh I remember that bit, I found it pretty fun :biggrin: Ah I haven't done that yet, I mainly rob dead drauger, you get loads of gold that way.

Have you heard the infamous arrow in the knee line yet? :rofl:
Original post by LipstickKisses
Oh I remember that bit, I found it pretty fun :biggrin: Ah I haven't done that yet, I mainly rob dead drauger, you get loads of gold that way.

Have you heard the infamous arrow in the knee line yet? :rofl:

I don't think I have - which part is that at? I take it it's really funny!
I don't think I have - which part is that at? I take it it's really funny!

It's what the guards say - it's not that funny on it's own, it's just that every guard says it, and it got turned into a meme and so ended up pretty funny. :biggrin: There's another one where they keep going on about "curved swords" which makes the immature people amongst us (like myself) giggle a little :teehee:

Wait till you use your first Fus ro Dah - I always find that hilarious :biggrin:
Original post by generalebriety
No one said CBT was going to fix it. CBT doesn't really "fix" much. CBT is going to give you a way of coping with the problem - a problem that we don't know how to solve yet. Maybe you're right that we're not trying to solve it. But how exactly do you propose solving short-term memory deficiencies? We really, really aren't medically advanced enough to even start that research. If it's not chemical or psychological, we pretty much don't know what to do. Likewise art therapy and likewise psychiatrist sessions; many autistic people are just desperately unhappy, and if these things give them the release and coping mechanisms they need to become approximately functional members of society, then I'm happy. If this doesn't work for you, then that's really sad, but there isn't much more we can do!

(You should also bear in mind that the problems you're complaining about are not the (social) problems that most aspies complain about most of the time. If your psychiatrist can't help you, and you've been referred to the wrong person, they will send you elsewhere.)

Well, people have to start somewhere to make medical breakthroughs happen. There was a point when depression was considered to be nothing more than a personal weakness; now extreme cases can be treated surgically. And besides, according to some hypotheses ASDs may very well be neurochemical in origin. I'm not saying psychotherapy is completely useless, I actually agree that if it helps then great, but I've seen too many psychiatrists and psychologist and I've been subjected to the theoretical study of psychology and I gotta say I'm sick of that psychobabble BS and I wish someone would use some real science to look at the issue of autism.

And yes, social issues aren't my biggest concern. It's not like I don't have any problems in that area, I do. My social skills are comparable to that of a bag of carrots, but frankly, what I care about is science, not socializing. I can live with not being able to make eye contact or hold a meaningful conversation, but if I can't learn about enzyme pKa's or intrinsically unstructured proteins then I'd rather not live at all. I'm socially as "defective", if not more, as any of you but I really just don't care... most of the time.

Original post by BeyondandAbove
Which is also why I started bringing a dictaphone along to my lectures. In the last three semesters I had to learn everything by book because I couldn't retain a single word that was being said in lectures - unless it was something I have already read. If I read something and tell someone about what I have read, then that seems to go into my long-term memory. Maybe I should use this to my advantage. :smile:

This is exactly what I'm going through right now. I mean EXACTLY, to the freakin' letter! For the past 4 months, I've been sitting in lectures thinking I might as well pop my eardrums because it's not like that would make it any worse. I don't know what's going to happen this semester (which starts tomorrow), I've been thinking I should just not go to the lectures at all and instead learn from textbooks, or I should try to get into a routine where I learn the information before the lectures so that the lectures become revision sessions of some sort... I've been given a dictaphone and they've set me up with all kinds of disability support you can imagine, but I'm still scared out of my mind because my first semester at university has been a living nightmare. So, since you've got a year on me, any suggestions? Things I should do, should not do?

As far as the weather goes... It's fun watching you Brits get all hysterical about a tiny bit of snow and subzero temperatures that aren't even all that subzero. :tongue: I'm from Northern Europe and back home it's currently about -20C during the day, dropping to close to -40C at night. This, by the way, is normal for this time of year. And the snow comes up to your knees or thighs (literally) if it's left undisturbed. So this -5C and a couple of inches snow here... :biggrin: I like it though, I hate cold and this here is so much better. I may have grown up with -25C winters, but IMO that kind of temperature is just not normal. But snow I like, unless there's too much of it. My only gripe about it is that all the white glare hurts my eyes.
Original post by Peregrinum
psychobabble BS
...seriously? You're already insulting the people most qualified on this planet to help you before you've spoken to them?

Well, people have to start somewhere to make medical breakthroughs happen ... I wish someone would use some real science to look at the issue of autism.
I'm sure you do, and I'm sure that would be fantastic, but right now we don't have the resources, probably don't have the money, and certainly don't have the time if you want to be treated with 'real science' now.

if I can't learn about enzyme pKa's or intrinsically unstructured proteins then I'd rather not live at all.
Right, and this is what you need to tell your psychiatrist. Then they will tell you how they can help you or pass you on to someone else if they can't. This is what they are qualified to do.

(Please don't forget, though, that their job is not to turn you into what you want to be. Sometimes that's not possible even if we do do 'real science'. Their job is to make you happy and functioning, and if you make requests, and for some reason it turns out they can't meet them, and you respond "well if you can't do this there's no point in living" or "why don't you do real science" or "psychobabble bull****", then they're just going to think you're an arse and treat you for suicidality.)
This is exactly what I'm going through right now. I mean EXACTLY, to the freakin' letter! For the past 4 months, I've been sitting in lectures thinking I might as well pop my eardrums because it's not like that would make it any worse. I don't know what's going to happen this semester (which starts tomorrow), I've been thinking I should just not go to the lectures at all and instead learn from textbooks, or I should try to get into a routine where I learn the information before the lectures so that the lectures become revision sessions of some sort... I've been given a dictaphone and they've set me up with all kinds of disability support you can imagine, but I'm still scared out of my mind because my first semester at university has been a living nightmare. So, since you've got a year on me, any suggestions? Things I should do, should not do?

I'm glad there's someone who understands. :biggrin: We have to go to lectures because the lecturers take attendance. It's also like that in labs: the lecturer explains something and I have to resort to asking my lab partner a gazillion times what he said for this and that and whatnot. It makes me feel really stupid, although I'm quite the beast in labs. :nothing:

As soon as I have caught up with all the work we have to do, I will read the lecture materials beforehand, so I have a general idea what's going on. And I will listen to the recorded lectures and make notes to at least try and improve verbal instructions. I need to draw diagrams because I'm more of a visual thinker anyways. I am really good with 3D things apparently (rotating stuff in my mind), but I am not sure how that would help me. :p:
As for tips what you could do... read around the lecture. That's what I basically do and that's how I gain all my knowledge for my modules. And then try and combine whatever you learn in one module with whatever you learn in your other module, if that is possible. Colour code things maybe? Draw diagrams if you're a visual thinker. I don't know really, I am still in the processing of figuring out how to help myself.
I look at the handouts and then research stuff in books or on the internet. That has gotten me through the first year so far. :smile:

But things NOT to do: leave stuff to the last minute, fall asleep during lectures, not taking notes.
The usual stuff basically. I tend to stare at the lecturer as to concentrate on what she is saying, but it doesn't help. Nor does staring at the overhead projector. It just doesn't stay in my head unless I have read it before. So I may make some amendments starting tomorrow. I'll see.
(edited 12 years ago)
This! And sometimes you just have a horrid time for weeks on end. But it gets better again :smile:

Right now I'm extremely happy....I was supposed to be sitting in a feezing cold church today playing my violin, but because of the snow it's been cancelled! I love lazy Sundays :biggrin:

Yep, a month of total lowness! Not had one in quite a while though. I get happy through the little things, someone being friendly, having a night out and not regretting anything, even so much as getting to Uni without delays on the trains. Then of course the little things can be bad!
...seriously? You're already insulting the people most qualified on this planet to help you before you've spoken to them?

I've spoken to a total of 10 psychologists and psychiatrists. I think that makes me qualified enough to have an opinion.

Right, and this is what you need to tell your psychiatrist. Then they will tell you how they can help you or pass you on to someone else if they can't. This is what they are qualified to do.

(Please don't forget, though, that their job is not to turn you into what you want to be. Sometimes that's not possible even if we do do 'real science'. Their job is to make you happy and functioning, and if you make requests, and for some reason it turns out they can't meet them, and you respond "well if you can't do this there's no point in living" or "why don't you do real science" or "psychobabble bull****", then they're just going to think you're an arse and treat you for suicidality.)

Yeah, that's all wonderful in an ideal world or with an ideal psychiatrist, but in my experience their treatment plans are based on what the society considers to be a "normal individual", not what I want. Every single "professional" I've spoken to has focused on the social issues. You can't be happy if you don't chit-chat your days away, you can't be happy without several dozen friends, you can't be happy unless you go out and get drunk every week, etc. They can't be happy without those things, most of the population apparently can't be. Thing is, that doesn't apply to me. And I don't think I need to apologize for having no respect for them if all they want to do is convince me that my idea of what matters in life is incorrect while trying to enforce their ideas. Also, having different priorities does not mean I'm suicidal.

Oh, one psychologist was a real treat - she was a double PhD who tried to convince me that my sensory issues and difficulties with change in routine were due to the fact that my parents got separated when I was a toddler and I had severe daddy issues. What a genius insight that was.
Original post by BeyondandAbove
I'm glad there's someone who understands. :biggrin: We have to go to lectures because the lecturers take attendance. It's also like that in labs: the lecturer explains something and I have to resort to asking my lab partner a gazillion times what he said for this and that and whatnot. It makes me feel really stupid, although I'm quite the beast in labs. :nothing:

As soon as I have caught up with all the work we have to do, I will read the lecture materials beforehand, so I have a general idea what's going on. And I will listen to the recorded lectures and make notes to at least try and improve verbal instructions. I need to draw diagrams because I'm more of a visual thinker anyways. I am really good with 3D things apparently (rotating stuff in my mind), but I am not sure how that would help me. :p:
As for tips what you could do... read around the lecture. That's what I basically do and that's how I gain all my knowledge for my modules. And then try and combine whatever you learn in one module with whatever you learn in your other module, if that is possible. Colour code things maybe? Draw diagrams if you're a visual thinker. I don't know really, I am still in the processing of figuring out how to help myself.
I look at the handouts and then research stuff in books or on the internet. That has gotten me through the first year so far. :smile:

But things NOT to do: leave stuff to the last minute, fall asleep during lectures, not taking notes.
The usual stuff basically. I tend to stare at the lecturer as to concentrate on what she is saying, but it doesn't help. Nor does staring at the overhead projector. It just doesn't stay in my head unless I have read it before. So I may make some amendments starting tomorrow. I'll see.

Luckily lectures aren't compulsory for me, but I'm still not quite okay with the idea of ditching them completely. I'm the same with labs as well and I really hate having to feel like an idiot all the time. I've also found that multitasking with a partner is not easy to do and distracts me from the theory of what's going on.

I will definitely read through the lecture material beforehand, I just find that the easiest way to learn... plus I retain what I see, which is also hugely helpful. I just don't know where actual lecture attendance and note taking and all that are supposed to fit in. I had a huge scare in the first semester so I guess now my only instinct is to go back to what worked for me in high school. I do have a note taker so that's one less of a thing to worry about. And I'm a visual thinker as well although I'm more about 2D. :tongue: I'm doing biochemistry so rotating 3D enzymes would be hugely helpful, but I guess my imagination is too poor to convert from 2D to 3D. And I too find diagrams useful, plus I find it helps to rewrite numerical data when I do calculations... somehow it's easier to work through a problem when I see the numbers by themselves instead of having to process them as part of a bigger block of text.

Anyhow, your brain seems to work in a way very similar to mine and so it's good to know that people like us can succeed at university. And thanks for the tips, you've given me some good ideas. I guess there's a lot of experimentation to do in order to find the best way of working. Good luck with that to both of us.

EDIT: I have another question if you don't mind. Have you ever approached your tutors/lecturers/demonstrators in labs about your issues and asked for things like specific reading assignments? Basically, have you talked to any of them about your difficulties and learning differences? If so, how have you done it and how have they responded? I've had plenty of setbacks in the first semester and now there'll be quite a few meetings to discuss how the learning process could be made more accessible for me. All the people in my department seem very nice and friendly and genuinely interested in me doing well, but I feel so embarrassed having to talk about these things, I feel like I'm too defective to deserve to be here in the first place. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, that's all wonderful in an ideal world or with an ideal psychiatrist, but in my experience their treatment plans are based on what the society considers to be a "normal individual", not what I want. Every single "professional" I've spoken to has focused on the social issues. You can't be happy if you don't chit-chat your days away, you can't be happy without several dozen friends, you can't be happy unless you go out and get drunk every week, etc. They can't be happy without those things, most of the population apparently can't be. Thing is, that doesn't apply to me. And I don't think I need to apologize for having no respect for them if all they want to do is convince me that my idea of what matters in life is incorrect while trying to enforce their ideas.
You have not mentioned any of this until now. Okay. But I find it really hard to believe you've had quite such bad luck with psychiatrists. How do you even get on to talking about chit-chatting your days away, having several dozen friends and going out and getting drunk, if you're making your problem clear to them?

I mean, forgive me, but from the way you're talking to me, I can't imagine that you're cooperative with these people at all. Their job is not to turn you into your idea of the perfect you, it's to make you happy and functional. You want something that doesn't sound medically possible currently. Other people are trying to make your life at least a bit happier and you're scorning their suggestions because they do not lead to your concept of a perfect life. You are dismissing their education because of your experience, when the two are meant to complement each other and compromise. Well, I sympathise, but only as much as I sympathise with everyone else in the world for falling short of their own hopes and dreams. And, honestly, what more do you want them to do? They're probably as frustrated with people like you (who seem to demand the impossible) as you are with them.

(Incidentally, I don't mean to sound dismissive myself when I talk about your "perfect life". I realise that falling short is making you very unhappy. But you owe it to these people to at least entertain their suggestions for a while just in case you're wrong in thinking that your way is the only way. You've gone through 10 of them - do you really give any of them a chance to get to know you over the length of time required?)

Also, having different priorities does not mean I'm suicidal.
No, but phrases like "there's no point in living" will make you sound suicidal, and it's their responsibility to treat that, just in case. And, from what I can see, a heavy dose of antidepressants would probably do you good, even if it's not what you want.
(edited 12 years ago)
Luckily lectures aren't compulsory for me, but I'm still not quite okay with the idea of ditching them completely. I'm the same with labs as well and I really hate having to feel like an idiot all the time. I've also found that multitasking with a partner is not easy to do and distracts me from the theory of what's going on.

I will definitely read through the lecture material beforehand, I just find that the easiest way to learn... plus I retain what I see, which is also hugely helpful. I just don't know where actual lecture attendance and note taking and all that are supposed to fit in. I had a huge scare in the first semester so I guess now my only instinct is to go back to what worked for me in high school. I do have a note taker so that's one less of a thing to worry about. And I'm a visual thinker as well although I'm more about 2D. :tongue: I'm doing biochemistry so rotating 3D enzymes would be hugely helpful, but I guess my imagination is too poor to convert from 2D to 3D. And I too find diagrams useful, plus I find it helps to rewrite numerical data when I do calculations... somehow it's easier to work through a problem when I see the numbers by themselves instead of having to process them as part of a bigger block of text.

Anyhow, your brain seems to work in a way very similar to mine and so it's good to know that people like us can succeed at university. And thanks for the tips, you've given me some good ideas. I guess there's a lot of experimentation to do in order to find the best way of working. Good luck with that to both of us.

EDIT: I have another question if you don't mind. Have you ever approached your tutors/lecturers/demonstrators in labs about your issues and asked for things like specific reading assignments? Basically, have you talked to any of them about your difficulties and learning differences? If so, how have you done it and how have they responded? I've had plenty of setbacks in the first semester and now there'll be quite a few meetings to discuss how the learning process could be made more accessible for me. All the people in my department seem very nice and friendly and genuinely interested in me doing well, but I feel so embarrassed having to talk about these things, I feel like I'm too defective to deserve to be here in the first place. :frown:

This will be a long post, sorry about that!

I do like working with a partner in labs because one can do the writing whilst the other does the looking, for example. It saves time. And I am actually glad now that I spent a lot of my late childhood/early teens looking through a microscope (that used to be one of my special interests) because now I neither see black or too many of my eyelashes. :p:
I despise every other kind of group work, though.

Biochemistry is really interesting, I did a Human Metabolism module last semester and I liked it. It was challenging! I studied Chemistry for about a semester and then dropped out and decided to go for Biology because I'm obsessed about many parts of the biological sciences.

As for ditching lectures completely: At one point, back in school, I ditched my Spanish classes for several months, only going to one every week to at least make an appearance. It was also during the time that led to my end of school exams. It didn't hurt my results at all, in fact I got my second highest grade in that subject. Rote learning for the win!
So you don't necessarily have to feel bad about ditching your lectures. But perhaps don't listen to me. :tongue: I go to every single lecture just in case I might actually retain something for once.

Oh, that actually brings me to another possibly helpful thing that I started doing now!
I do this on my iPhone, but a laptop might be even better. At least in one of my modules (Animal Biology) I go on YouTube and look for whatever genus/species we're studying to get a better picture and understanding of what the lecturer is describing to us. It also somehow makes it easier for me to remember their names.
I see how helpful this will really be when I am sitting the exam, but it gives me some entertainment during the lectures when I can't focus on what the lecturer is saying.

As for 2D/3D: When it comes to bacteria and viruses and whatever I look at in a microscope, I can't do 3D. But with everything else it is possible for me unless the structures are too complex. And that's it. Ask me to look at a bed and imagining it in my future or current room? Impossible. Imagine this colour for the wall and that kind of parquet flooring plus this set of furniture? Chaos in my brain!
EDIT: in this case, with 3D I mean the ability to rotate objects in my mind.

I'm gonna stop myself right here and focus on your question again. Also, you're welcome!

I haven't actually approached anyone yet and unless I totally fail I probably won't do it in the future. I have never approached anyone and never really noticed any differences in learning techniques. I might ask some of my friends tomorrow how they are studying and how their brain works.
I would feel embarrassed too, hence why I don't approach anyone. Although I am sure they would be accommodating. Maybe I'll go back to my university counsellor. He might even know something about Aspergers!

Sorry if this is all unstructured. I do take greater care with my essays and reports. :tongue: I wish I was perfect in the use of English grammar, but it isn't my mother tongue, so I shouldn't really complain. It is just something that frustrates me a bit because I am usually a very pedantic person. :nothing:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 313
Met my new mentor today who is quite nice. Work ethic has dropped but hoping it will pick up soon though. Also very tired today :yawn:
Reply 314
Ahh! You sound like me! I just asked my bf to read this and he smiled and said that it sounded like me too! :s-smilie:. I'm really confused. When I was younger my teachers from both schools that I went to mentioned AS, and when I saw a Psychotherapist for Depression he said that I had AS traits. The thing is, I don't know if I do or not. I mean, I'm better than I used to be, but I still sometimes wonder. My bf's mum works with children who have behhavioural difficulties and she doesn't think that I have AS at all, and yeah, I'm really confused tbh. It's just annoying sometimes as I don't "get" things when I'm supposed to, and I ask my boyfriend why he thinks that I don't, and he dosen't know.

But yeah, I am exactly like you, with regards to reading your post!

Oh, and also, as you can see from my Signature, I originally applied to study Biomedical Sciences, but I lost interest in Biology and Chemistry, and loved Maths at A2, so naturally I rejected all of my offers and am now in my first year studying Mathematics. However, I've just applied through UCAS again; still at the same uni, to study Biomedical Sciences ironically... You'd think that Maths would suit me, but I can't APPLY anything. Like, give me something to memorise and I can tell you what it said verbatim, but give me a question that requires me to apply the knowledge that I have and I just can't :s-smilie:.

Original post by Terpsikhore
I studied Biomedical Science, and I'm now a medical writer.

Ideal for me; I love science but I don't have the dexterity for lab work or the creativity for academia.

Digressing for a just a second, that's the thing that frustrates me most about my brain - don't know if it's anything to do with AS, doubt it is, but I have no imagination or creativity. By that I don't mean "I'm no good at making up stories" - although I'm not. I mean I can't think of anything original. I wanted to do a PhD, but had to abandon that idea because I can't even begin to think of a topic to study. If I'd had to pick my own title for my dissertation instead of being told what I had to do it on, I don't think I'd have passed third year because I wouldn't have been able to think of a single project I wanted to work on. When given something - anything - and asked to think of a way it could be improved, I can't. If asked to speculate on why something might have happened, I can't. I can't use anything I know outside of the context I learnt it in.

I know lots, but I'm not even close to intelligent because I can't join it up. I just learn isolated facts, but I can't connect them to make any sense from them.

The result is that I'm great in pub quizzes, but I will never be anything more than average in life. And that's a downer.
Reply 315
Original post by Darth Stewie
Hey just though I'd drop a post, not been having a great time recently stress of university/life has taken its toll. My doctor has booked me in with a psychiatrist starting next week for monthly sessions and am gonna start taking SSRIs, anyone ever been on them / have any experience with what they are like? Did my own Internet research and some of the side effects people seem to have experienced don't sound great.

but yeh pretty fed up, managed to control my condition pretty much on my own since i was 15 so kinda feel like I'm taking a step backwards in that respect and its getting me a bit down.

I was on SSRI's - Fluoxetine (Prozac) for a year, hmm, 2 years ago. I had severe depression. I lost so many things to Depression, and then the one thing that I had left (academia) I lost, so I felt that I didn't have anything left, so I ended up being hospitalised.
They then prescribed me Fluoxetine and first the first week, I felt really sick, but afterwards I had no side effects what so ever. I'm not sure if it was the meds that made me better, but I have recovered from Depression now :smile:.
I'm having a huge meltdown. :cry:

Spoiler

Thanks to anyone who reads this and replies. If you quote me, please wipe out the above, I'll probably delete the post when I feel better and be embarrassed that I'm being such a pussy about it.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm having a huge meltdown. :cry:
Thanks to anyone who reads this and replies. If you quote me, please wipe out the above, I'll probably delete the post when I feel better and be embarrassed that I'm being such a pussy about it.

First of all, you're not stupid. I guess many non-Autistic people (they are NTs, right and not us?:s-smilie:) do not understand at all how this stuff affects us.
Original post by OU Student
First of all, you're not stupid. I guess many non-Autistic people (they are NTs, right and not us?:s-smilie:) do not understand at all how this stuff affects us.

Thanks :smile: I'm feeling a bit better about it now, just frustrated that no-one gets how this makes me feel, I feel like I can't even explain it properly because I don't think in words either, so it's hard translating it first to words, and then in a way others will understand. It gets to me sometimes.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks :smile: I'm feeling a bit better about it now, just frustrated that no-one gets how this makes me feel, I feel like I can't even explain it properly because I don't think in words either, so it's hard translating it first to words, and then in a way others will understand. It gets to me sometimes.

I have to admit that I don't always understand my Autistic friends either.

Quick Reply

Latest