The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

No I am in a room getting tutored after school and she walked in to print something and thats when she did it.
Reply 1181
Original post by Frostyjoe
No I am in a room getting tutored after school and she walked in to print something and thats when she did it.

So she's not the one tutoring you, she just happened to need to walk in for some other reason?

Go from when she first walks through the door - what does she say and do? I can't see how she came to just draw the smilie on the board ie what was the context?
There is no context she just gets the printed stuff and comes through and draws the smiley face to be funny.

Its pretty easy to grasp.
Reply 1183
There is no context she just gets the printed stuff and comes through and draws the smiley face to be funny.

Its pretty easy to grasp.

It wasn't clear to me so that's why I asked

I can see why you have problems with people if you behave like this when they're trying to help you

If you're so intelligent, as you keep going on and on about, why do you need any extra assistance in the first place?

I never had any when I was at school or college

I'm afraid if you go down the 'I need loads of support as I've got problems' route then you'll get patronised to death - it goes with the territory
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1184
Do you guys tend to look back on social situations and think about the other persons mannerisms and what they meant by certain gestures they made.

I tend to ruminate way too much on social situations where I think I've cocked up or that somebody might think of me in a negative light. Even if what happened seemed rather minimal.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Do you guys tend to look back on social situations and think about the other persons mannerisms and what they meant by certain gestures they made.

I tend to ruminate way too much on social situations where I think I've cocked up or that somebody might think of me in a negative light. Even if what happened seemed rather minimal.

I do, yes.
Reply 1186
Original post by OU Student
Do you know why you struggle? Part of my problem was that I had no interest in the subject at all.

Spoiler

Finally, since it's a characteristic to have an obsession with certain characteristics and certain topics. What do you follow a lot, I assume you have the condition?

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
I'm wondering if I should attend a local support group.
Original post by aeon439
It wasn't clear to me so that's why I asked

I can see why you have problems with people if you behave like this when they're trying to help you

If you're so intelligent, as you keep going on and on about, why do you need any extra assistance in the first place?

I never had any when I was at school or college

I'm afraid if you go down the 'I need loads of support as I've got problems' route then you'll get patronised to death - it goes with the territory

Well I don't need support for learning. Its for exams, I mis interpet questions and stuff like that. But anyone looking at me and talking to me would know i'm not thick.

I really am fed up of judgemental people.

I was only diagnosed at 16 but one thing i've learn't is never be so judgemental.
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes and i'm going to be honest and say sometimes I don't understand what social gues are.

I understand most jokes and scial gues but when people give me certain looks I stare back thinking "what does that mean?"

Sometimes people try and be friendly by asking me questions and sitting beside me but I don't know how to return the favour. People think that I will just act like anyone else and have a full blown conversation and make friends. But really I don't know how to make friends tbh lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1190

Well I don't need support for learning. Its for exams, I mis interpet questions and stuff like that. But anyone looking at me and talking to me would know i'm not thick.

I really am fed up of judgemental people.

I was only diagnosed at 16 but one thing i've learn't is never be so judgemental.

I never needed any help with exams

I fail to see why Aspergers makes it hard to understand exam questions; isn't that just having basic problems with English comprehension?

Everyone is judgmental; you were judgmental of me for asking for more detail as regards the context of your teacher drawing the smilie on the board; you got exasperated with me so how can you blame others for acting in ways you dislike?

You don't even know whether that smilie was directed at you either

it could have been directed towards the person tutoring you for all you know
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1191
Yes and i'm going to be honest and say sometimes I don't understand what social gues are.

I understand most jokes and scial gues but when people give me certain looks I stare back thinking "what does that mean?"

Sometimes people try and be friendly by asking me questions and sitting beside me but I don't know how to return the favour. People think that I will just act like anyone else and have a full blown conversation and make friends. But really I don't know how to make friends tbh lol.

This happens for all people, whether autistic or not
You are a lot like me btw. Like I lost a lot of interest in my course, even in first year where I did fairly well, in fact got very good marks in quite a few of my modules I never seemed too interested in my course. In a lecture I'd go to sleep after 10mins so eventually I stopped going.

I found this. Programming bored me to death. Not helped by really struggling with it. Databases were equally dull. Hardware and software and the law side of things were fine. But I never really had to do that much work for hardware and software. I had to self teach myself similar stuff in college; so it was just a follow on of that.

Finally, since it's a characteristic to have an obsession with certain characteristics and certain topics. What do you follow a lot, I assume you have the condition?

Currently, it's music, forensics and sport. (running, swimming and football mostly) I've had these since I was 12. I'm now nearly 25. I can't see them changing anytime soon. Do have a really embarrassing obsession which I am not going to admit, too.:redface:

I fail to see why Aspergers makes it hard to understand exam questions

Because we may take things a different way than intended. I did that on Facebook and admin threatened to kick me out of the group.:colondollar: Someone did argue that I do have a point.
Reply 1193
I found this. Programming bored me to death. Not helped by really struggling with it. Databases were equally dull. Hardware and software and the law side of things were fine. But I never really had to do that much work for hardware and software. I had to self teach myself similar stuff in college; so it was just a follow on of that.

Currently, it's music, forensics and sport. (running, swimming and football mostly) I've had these since I was 12. I'm now nearly 25. I can't see them changing anytime soon. Do have a really embarrassing obsession which I am not going to admit, too.:redface:

Because we may take things a different way than intended. I did that on Facebook and admin threatened to kick me out of the group.:colondollar: Someone did argue that I do have a point.

When I did exams we were sometimes told we could ask an exam invigilator if we needed clarification on questions but not sure if that was just for mock or lower level exams. Generally you just got on with it as an exam is a test of what you know, not what you assisted by someone else know

I still think needing this clarification is more linked to intelligence than Aspergers as you can work out meanings by using common sense and logic

This idea of a person with Aspergers taking terms like 'Raining cats and dogs' literally is highly inaccurate in my opinion. Only a stupid person would take a phrase like that literally - it's got nothing to do with Aspergers. What does happen though is that people with Aspergers learn that this is the type of problem associated with Aspergers so they play up to it, so as to conform to what they see as being typical of the diagnosis; either that or they really are stupid enough to take these phrases literally and again, this is an intelligence thing not an Aspergers thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aeon439
When I did exams we were sometimes told we could ask an exam invigilator if we needed clarification on questions but not sure if that was just for mock or lower level exams. Generally you just got on with it as an exam is a test of what you know, not what you assisted by someone else know

We couldn't do that. We could ask for the question to be read to us. But we couldn't ask for them to explain the question.
Reply 1195
We couldn't do that. We could ask for the question to be read to us. But we couldn't ask for them to explain the question.

I'm not totally sure they did say this - perhaps it was just reading it out.

I just have a problem with people getting extra help as they aren't competing on an equal basis are they?

The whole idea of an exam is to test what a person themself knows. Any input from outside that person has biased the results in their favour.

All very well for them but if at a later stage they go on to get a job based on those exam results and based on they themself having that knowledge and level of understanding, they may well find themself out of their depth, given the fact that you don't get someone helping you to do your job - it's you on your own then, standing or falling by what's actually in your head.

So all this extra assistance for an exam is a bad thing in my opinion. A person should be entered for an exam they don't need any assistance with as that will be their appropriate level of understanding

If you need assistance you're not up to the task in my opinion

Extra tutoring leading up to an exam is fine as it's you taking in the information. Assistance in the exam or being given longer to do the exam - these are the aspects I have problems with.
Original post by aeon439
I'm not totally sure they did say this - perhaps it was just reading it out.

I just have a problem with people getting extra help as they aren't competing on an equal basis are they?

They are if due to their Aspergers, (which is different for everyone) they struggle in that area.
Reply 1197
They are if due to their Aspergers, (which is different for everyone) they struggle in that area.

I just think this extra assistance kind of thing sets people up to fail as they expect society to continually bend the rules to make life easier for them and society doesn't work like that - it's everyone for themself

These people will enter the workplace thinking they can keep saying 'Oh sorry I can't do that or I have problems with that due to my Aspergers'
and they will be seen as incompetent basically as the majority are not going to give you an inch, as everyone is in competition

It's far better to try and work on the same level as everyone else and not keep expecting special dispensation, which is usually a waste of time anyway - it's often just the employer paying lip service without even understanding what the issues are
Does anyone have people laugh at them alot?

My Brothers/sisters will visit and know that I am self conscious walking into the kitchen and like laugh everytime I walk in.

I suppose I should ignore but it is annoying.
Reply 1199

Yeah, I'm like that too. I just can't make conversations with new people that well. I've got better over the years, but it just seems so alien to me.

When I'm with a new group of people, my friends are ok with talking to others, I just can't do that. I can just about hold up a competent conversation if I tried, but it just lacks any substance whatsoever and it feels so forced. Or I just stay quiet.

Quick Reply

Latest