The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by a.partridge
Private education or not, getting good A levels not difficult. You don't need fancy education for A level because when it comes down to it there is a textbook containing all the information you need to know and if you have a room, some paper and a pen then you have no excuse not to be able to learn it (I got A*'s in maths physics and chemistry and my teachers didn't help a bit it's all about the textbook). What do you think happens at private schools they just get injected with information? No, of course not it's still reading the book and remembering it.

You can get good A levels no matter how poor you are. Once you've got good A levels you're into a good university and have a good a chance as any of getting a job at the end of it. And the rest is history. Stop making excuses for failure.

P.s we all want to live in a world where everyone has everything, but that's just not reality now is it so grow up and get on with it stop kicking up a fuss - you're already on free money from the government what more do you want. If you get paid the same for starting a business as for working behind the til, nobody would start businesses , nobody would have anything. Don't become an economist.

i think you completely missed the point i was making. for starters, do not talk to me in a condescending tone like i'm some silly little child who doesn't know what i'm talking about. private schools have smaller class sizes, so more one to one supervision and help provided, a more competitive atmosphere, longer class hours, i don't really need to go on but these and more all contribute to better grades. i thought that was so obvious, i wouldn't need to explain it. i'm not saying they have it easier, but you've got more chance of straight a*'s if you attend private than state and that is not biological, it's cultural.

and how ridiculous that you're actually implying that a levels are not difficult. if they were so simple that anyone could read a text book and manage to get 100% in every exam, there would be no point in them. this isn't the case, quite clearly.

good a levels > good university > good job, wow well done on stating the obvious. however, i was talking about setting up a business. which i would not be able to do, whereas someone with money would. so therefore they end up as head of a company because they had money in the first place.

nice ignorant post there, i especially loved the bit about "i'm already on free money what more do i want" absolutely disgusting. i suppose you'll be telling me my parents should have worked harder in life next? sickening.
Original post by aliphatic
This happened to me, although not exactly the same so I can't help you with whether you'll be in restraints in the van. In my case the police took me to the town police station straight away and asked for my mother's number, and they said I could come in a few days later to the main station and go through the process but my mum was so angry she demanded it was done straight away. That was an awkward car journey.

When I got there (from what I can remember, this was a few years ago now!) I was basically fingerprinted, interviewed by the police officer who arrested me, and then brougt up in front of the desk sergeant who basically had a massive go at me and gave me the right what-for haha. I definitely wasn't put in a cell, I was just taken into an interview room and it was recorded.

How old are you? That might affect how you're treated. I was 16 at the time and I think he said it would disappear when I was 18 or in 5 years, whichever was longer, so that was 5 years time for me. It does still show up on enhanced CRBs though I do believe. It also depends on whether Boots want to prosecute you, I was lucky because I was caught with in excess of £200 worth of stuff and the HMV store manager did not want to take it further.

My mum also made me go and personally apologise straight after I'd been interviewed. I was also put forward to some sort of liason officer but it wasn't compulsory.

EDIT: Loving how I'm getting negs for a stupid irresponsible mistake that none of you know the back-story to, when I've already completely taken the consequences for it (and alot more in besides) but don't have the balls to actually talk to me!

There is no excuse for theft, unless perhaps someone is forcing you. Come at me
Reply 142
Original post by Herr
You've got a ****load of other stuff to worry about on whether you'll be in handcuffs or not.

Lol, so true.
Original post by live-laugh-love
I work at boots and in our store we lose £5000 a week because of shoplifiting... Even though everyone keeps saying boots is a multimillion pound company it doesn't affect anyone it does, if the shop starts making a loss, employees cannot be kept so someone will get made redudant.

Absolute rubbish. If your shop is losing too much due to shoplifting, Boots will invest in ways to prevent it from happening. Firing employees doesn't stop shoplifting - if anything it increases it.
Original post by AwsomePossum
There is no excuse for theft, unless perhaps someone is forcing you. Come at me

Pretty much was that reason. Still doesn't excuse it though.
Reply 145
Original post by arbaaz
i'm not sure what your question was. but if your stupid enough to steal then you'll have to pay the consequences.

your fault...!

Look how many people have already wrote the same thing. Are you saying this in order to admonish the OP or just so you can feel smug with yourself?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Looking forward to hearing from OP to see what happens.

Until then, I'm making up my own story, currently involving a very dramatic struggle with OP refusing to open the door, police forcing entry and cuffing her, saying "you have the right to remain silent" and OP choosing to ignore that right and screaming blue murder while being dragged to van with her hair.

They may also have brought dogs.

I have a feeling the "real" story is going to be a bit of a letdown, actually :-(.
wasn't there some talk of the police actually organizing a dance, sort of in order to de-dramatize the event ?
Reply 147
Original post by The-Dream
It's really not that bigger deal... I'm sure you've done plenty of 'wrong' things in your life

Depend entirely on what you mean by wrong.
Reply 148
Wondering how the OP got on at the police station.....
Original post by Rant
To the losers suggesting it's okay to be arrested for stealing from a large business: it's not. It shouldn't be a crime. These businesses are exploiting you, and you stick up for them? Are you mad?
exactly

big business should give out everything for free, so nobody would steal from them

they should also pay their employees and suppliers huge amounts of money and, at Thanksgiving, send a present to each and every client (a turkey would be quite appropriate)
Original post by 3ka_xo
i think you completely missed the point i was making. for starters, do not talk to me in a condescending tone like i'm some silly little child who doesn't know what i'm talking about. private schools have smaller class sizes, so more one to one supervision and help provided, a more competitive atmosphere, longer class hours, i don't really need to go on but these and more all contribute to better grades. i thought that was so obvious, i wouldn't need to explain it. i'm not saying they have it easier, but you've got more chance of straight a*'s if you attend private than state and that is not biological, it's cultural.

and how ridiculous that you're actually implying that a levels are not difficult. if they were so simple that anyone could read a text book and manage to get 100% in every exam, there would be no point in them. this isn't the case, quite clearly.

good a levels > good university > good job, wow well done on stating the obvious. however, i was talking about setting up a business. which i would not be able to do, whereas someone with money would. so therefore they end up as head of a company because they had money in the first place.

nice ignorant post there, i especially loved the bit about "i'm already on free money what more do i want" absolutely disgusting. i suppose you'll be telling me my parents should have worked harder in life next? sickening.

Ignorant - yet I just did A levels and am now doing a physics degree at a top uni?

Ridiculous - yet I did get straight A*s and I did get 100% ums in A levels physics just by reading the book?

If you think it's ridiculous to be able to do that with just the book and not that much difficulty it just means that you are not in fact academically gifted.

Those who are talented will excel despite the surroundings, private education only makes a difference for the borderline people who have some potential but don't have the motivation to work so need to be kept in check - or people that need things to be told to them 5 times before they understand it. If you're not one of these people you would not have gained from it.

They are not easy to your hyperbolic proportions, but try and keep some perspective. They are easy in the sense that averagely intelligent people can get A grades with average amounts of work. What grades people achieve follow statistical laws, what grades you actually get just depend on you, not your school and not your classmates.

Your intelligence is partly through nature and through nurture, but by the time you reach school it's largely already finished. The most important things are when you are very young and depend on how good your parents are at raising you. The best thing the parents can do for a child is not to work for their lives to gift the child riches but to nurture them appropriately and instill virtues of intelligence and the desire to be cultured and successful.

If you're not talking about university but starting a business, then why are you so concerned with your grades. Business takes having an idea and dedication, not grades. If you have the idea you can get a LOAN to start it, if it's good. Unless your loan is coming from the student loans company university probably wont come into it. You don't need your parents to sort it for you and if you need them to finance it, it's probably going to flop. And yes rich people do have it better, yes life is easier if your rich I really wish I was that's why I went to university instead of just whining for society to change!
Lol, while I don't agree with stealing, I think goin to the station is enough....
Fingerprints and a criminal record is TOO far
Reply 152
In the name of the Jarl, stop right there!

u deserve what u got, hope ur parents react horribly
Original post by mariachi
wasn't there some talk of the police actually organizing a dance, sort of in order to de-dramatize the event ?

Don't encourage me..

Because OP still hasn't posted, I'm continuously improving the story in my head. The current one being that OP has now chained herself to the station in protest to being treated like a common criminal, and is taking a stand against cruelty to shoplifters worldwide.

The police officers are watching her via CCTV drinking tea and eating hobnobs, occasionally giving a hearty chuckle.

I can only hope she's shoplifted a thermos from somewhere; cold today.
Original post by katerawlinson
Ok, I know we shouldn't of done it but.... It happened.

Well aren't you an idiot. You might as well leave here, as your never going to be a student. Messing up your whole life for a few cosmetics? You need to smack your head against a brick walk girly.

Ah well, another person to spunk my tax on their council housing and 35 kids.

People like you make me sick.

You have more to worry about than what your parents think. I would be ashamed of you tbh.
As soon as a saw shoplifting I knew it was going to be
a) a girl
b) from Boots.

What's with that?
No wonder they take it so seriously.
Don't encourage me..

Because OP still hasn't posted, I'm continuously improving the story in my head. The current one being that OP has now chained herself to the station in protest to being treated like a common criminal, and is taking a stand against cruelty to shoplifters worldwide.

The police officers are watching her via CCTV drinking tea and eating hobnobs, occasionally giving a hearty chuckle.

:rofl:
Original post by aliphatic
Pretty much was that reason. Still doesn't excuse it though.

Indeed but if the point was argueble then you could have told the Popo and be let out :biggrin: plus rep for agreeing with me
I would actually stop posting. People like this love the attention.
Reply 159
Don't encourage me..

Hahaha....hilarious :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending