The Student Room Group

extra A level vs. foundation year

I've recently been looking into mech eng and to be honest it really interests me, not 100% sure on what i want to do yet, but definitely taking it into serious consideration, however last year i didn't have a clue what i wanted to do with my life, and was advised (poorly) that if i took Chem, bio and a language i could pretty much do anything.. therefore i haven't taken physics or maths at A level.
if i wanted to do mech eng at uni, would i be better served doing an entire maths a level during my gap year (with all the applied/mechanics modules), or doing the foundation year at uni?
Reply 1
bump
For most universities you need both Maths and Physics

if you can get onto a foundation year thats your best bet
Reply 3
I would highly recommend the foundation year. It will teach you everything you need to know from the maths and physics aspect and it will also give you a good understanding of the basic engineering principles! I have applied for Foundation year because i do not have a Physics A Level.
Look into the course and see what you think.
Reply 4
Foundation year - if you don't mind having a bigger loan.
I personally rather save my money and do Maths+Further Maths. I don't know how much it would cost these days but 5 years ago it would have been around 5 grand (inc. living expenses) and its not worth that much money.

Quick Reply

Latest