The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I KNEW I should have stayed anonymous. Thank god I can say with certainty that he does not use TSR.
hehe, i knew it was you anyway! xxx good luck for tomorrow! i'm actually off to visit a friend now! hehe
minimo
And plus, I'm with a group of other people, so it's not like I can just blurt it out it the middle, I'd have to effectively get away somewhere quiet with him and then do that... :s:

Maybe you could say to him you'd like his advice on something and could you both go for a walk...?

I don't want to get your hopes up wrongly but honestly, your situation is so similar to how mine was and I really have a good feeling about this...:smile:
Reply 83
Awww, thank you. :smile:
Reply 84
:frown: :frown:
Met him today. He was civilised as usual. Chatted a bit, just general stuff wanted to talk 'some more' but another girl decided to join us. She was dressed in Converse, green (yes, you read right) jeans and hoodie and had platinum blonde hair and he spent the rest of the morning discussing some musicy thing with her. And she got all giggly with him etc etc etc etc etc :frown: :frown: And I feeling completely left out of the convo wandered away and spent the rest of morning talking with another friend. So much for lovely long skirts and heels :frown: (and very achy feet) I might as well have been a non-entity.
Well I sort of expected it so hey. Think I'll just get on with my studies and forget about men for the moment. :smile:
Reply 85
Sounds like you needed to be more proactive...
Reply 86
Yeah well, I'm shy, and as much as pulling him appealed to me I don't think it was a viable option, you know? :rolleyes:
Reply 87
minimo
Yeah well, I'm shy, and as much as pulling him appealed to me I don't think it was a viable option, you know? :rolleyes:

That's the sort of defeatist attitude that gets you nowhere, hahaha.

You should've found the smallest top and skirt you could, constantly lean over so as to show you cleavage and cut over the other girl. In the end you would've got a lot further.
Reply 88
Um have you READ anon 2's posts?
Reply 89
No, can't be bothered, I was just offering an opinion to your post.
Reply 90
And as if to add insult to injury, his sister (who's also s Grad) says today in front of EVERYONE "awwwww, you're an ickle first year, you're just a little baby compared to the rest of us!" (Everyone else is 3rd year + ) :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 91
I'm sorry but this is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever read. The men you're describing seem to have wandered from the pages of a 19th century novel. The generalisations on public school boys astounded me- I've certainly never come across any like that. The ones I know get very very drunk, grab my ass in the Pitt Club and then say something drunk and obscene to me (I wouldn't have it any other way tbh)- and I would say that's the general stereotype of public school boys, or rather the ones I'm familiar with.

Do you actually have much in common with this guy? It's seems that you're having to go through a whole lot (namely superficial things) to attract his attention- you shouldn't really feel the need to change for people otherwise you'll only ever know what they think about the person you pretend to be, not who you actually are. Might seem like a nice ideal to date some kind of prince charming but make sure there's some substance to it all. Also, if you're concentrating too hard about what you're saying and doing around him you're probably not going to come across as well as if you were just relaxed and chatty and fun. Plus i'd be wary of guessing what types of girls he likes- he might not necessarily be looking to date a replacement to his mother!

Oh and as to the 'ickle first year thing'- don't wish your life away. I won't graduate til im 23 and over-the-hill. I'd give my right arm to be a few years younger!
Reply 92
That's the whole point - he is so traditional and old-fashioned. But I like that, seeing as I consider myself to be similar. I agree with the not having to change myself thing though. I was pretty uncomfortable in my long Laura Ashley skirt with high heels today. I felt loads more comfortable and happy with myself and around him when I was more myself. I'm a trousers girl and only wear long skirts if I'm visiting my grand parents or something. And in any case, i've been told that I'm quite feminine anyway (I love you xx_ambellina_xx!!!) and so I don't think I'm going to bother style wise.

I think what anon 2 meant by CBPS is more the sort of person who seems *like* they have been picked up from Pride and Prejudice as opposed to the Pitt Club sort despite the fact that they have been public schooled too. Obviously they are not exactly 19th century, but do act a bit like that in terms of their attitudes and how they treat women. And he's not the only one, I've met a few more of that sort.

Yes, I also think I should return to my relaxed self, the more I thought about the details today the more edgy I felt.
Excellent post by puppy, but just to echo his/her opinion - don't change yourself, at least not drastically.
Minimo, it sounds like you were getting along fine until the blonde turned up - grrr? Is there any way you could get him on his own? Although I still think dressing conservatively/elegantly helps I don't think it's the most important thing at all compared with putting him at ease and making him feel that making a move would be welcomed and not impolite.

Puppy, I know what you mean - there are loads of public schoolboys who are exactly as you describe, ie uncouth. As my fiance puts it, in those kinds of schools boys tend to get bullied unless they excel at something and they pretty much self-select as being either academic or sporting. The sporty ones tend to be the ones who get pi**ed at the rugby club and goose women, while the academic ones sit in the library with their noses in 19th century novels...
Reply 95
I dunno. I suppose because I was so conscious of my every move, I felt really silly all the way through. I dress very conservatively anyway (you gotta when you look like the back of a bus) but perhaps I will give the skirt a go again. :smile: Would you mind if we corresponded in future via PMs? I'd sort of like this thread to die...
Why don't you send him an anoymous love letter. Guys love that, add an air of mystery to the relationship...
Reply 97
Nope.
I gotta do something though...he's in his final year of PhD...sort of now or never! :s:
Reply 98
Read the first post, laughed a bit... can't be bothered to read rest of thread, gonna stick my nose in... pip, pip, he sounds like a smashing old coddger... very likely he has been backended more times than a ford pinto...
Reply 99
:eek: Don't you DARE...

Latest

Trending

Trending