The Student Room Group

Allegation of breach of Dissertation !!!

I need advice regarding my dissertation submitted for MA Management, i got a letter from University stating the explanation that how my dissertation is matched with other university student 30% dissertation which was submitted on 2009 and other 17% from the internet.

The overall similarity has prompted the investigation to be undertaken which conclude one the the following.

1) No case to answer
2) poor academic practice
3) possible academic missconduct

They need email explanation within 5 days. I am really confused, I did research from the on-line material too and there was no other way i could have finished that without.

Please advice me i am really tense.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cheekyvirgin
I need advice regarding my dissertation submitted for MA Management, i got a letter from University stating the explanation that how my dissertation is matched with other university student 30% dissertation which was submitted on 2009 and other 17% from the internet.

The overall similarity has prompted the investigation to be undertaken which conclude one the the following.

1) No case to answer
2) poor academic practice
3) possible academic missconduct

They need email explanation within 5 days. I am really confused, I did research from the on-line material too and there was no other way i could have finished that without.

Please advice me i am really tense.

Ask them to provide evidence of the material which they allege your copied (i.e. the two sources). In any case, given the high compatibility they have suggested (almost 50%), it seems obvious that there is some academic misconduct involved. But it is the level that it is important and will determine what happens next. If you have plagiarised then just be honest; it will be a complete waste of time pretending otherwise, and it might make them think twice about offering you the opportunity to resubmit your dissertation.
Original post by evantej
In any case, given the high compatibility they have suggested (almost 50%)

Woah you can't add those up.

It was 30% similar to one source and 17% similar to a second source.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that you should be honest in whatever you email them. If you didn't plagiarize then make sure they have a copy of your bibliography and like the previous poster said ask to see the material that they claim is similar. Maybe you should ask to speak to someone in person about this to get further clarification of what is going on.
Reply 3
Well it sounds like they've put your dissertation through TurnItIn, or something similar, so you should ask to see the report.

The first thing I'll say is that you shouldn't necessarily be panicking (unless you genuinely have plagiarised). TurnItIn is NOT a plagiarism detector. All it does is compare your text with the text in its database, and produces a report on similarity of text (matches and near matches). This in and of itself is not evidence of academic misconduct (especially since it doesn't check references). Most universities will have a policy by which they have to 'investigate' any piece of work with a similarity score higher than 'x'. So they will look at the sections of your dissertation that TurnItIn flagged up, and if you've referenced properly then there will be no case to answer. There is nothing wrong with using online sources, but some people can get tripped up on how to reference them properly.

So, ask for the report. Go through your dissertation thoroughly, and check that you have referenced everything. Then check your dissertation against your university's academic misconduct policy. Then respond by email stating that you have picked over your dissertation and double checked all your referencing, and you don't feel that there has been any academic misconduct. But if you find incorrect referencing, or sections where you have missed references, be honest about it.

And remember, if you haven't plagiarised then you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Tasha1986
Well it sounds like they've put your dissertation through TurnItIn, or something similar, so you should ask to see the report.

The first thing I'll say is that you shouldn't necessarily be panicking (unless you genuinely have plagiarised). TurnItIn is NOT a plagiarism detector. All it does is compare your text with the text in its database, and produces a report on similarity of text (matches and near matches). This in and of itself is not evidence of academic misconduct (especially since it doesn't check references). Most universities will have a policy by which they have to 'investigate' any piece of work with a similarity score higher than 'x'. So they will look at the sections of your dissertation that TurnItIn flagged up, and if you've referenced properly then there will be no case to answer. There is nothing wrong with using online sources, but some people can get tripped up on how to reference them properly.

So, ask for the report. Go through your dissertation thoroughly, and check that you have referenced everything. Then check your dissertation against your university's academic misconduct policy. Then respond by email stating that you have picked over your dissertation and double checked all your referencing, and you don't feel that there has been any academic misconduct. But if you find incorrect referencing, or sections where you have missed references, be honest about it.

And remember, if you haven't plagiarised then you'll be fine :smile:

Thanks for your reply

My Dissertation topic was " Coaching of Mobile Networks " which involves data from online books, journals or from the other source plus collecting phone call data from the mobile companies. According of the report i received it say my data has been matched with other university student dissertation plus source of internet.

I feel like crying and
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply

My Dissertation topic was " Coaching of Mobile Networks " which involves data from online books, journals or from the other source plus collecting phone call data from the mobile companies. According of the report i received it say my data has been matched with other university student dissertation plus source of internet.

I feel like crying and

Well if you used the same data of course it will show up..you have nothing to worry about if you only used the same data.
Reply 6
I am really confused, I did research from the on-line material too and there was no other way i could have finished that without.

Can you expand further on the above? In particular, did you reference all source material properly (whether quoted or paraphrased), and did you quote / copy and paste large chunks of text?

I'm assuming that if they used Turnitin, they would surely first have checked referencing etc before sending the letter?
Reply 7
Original post by sj27
Can you expand further on the above? In particular, did you reference all source material properly (whether quoted or paraphrased), and did you quote / copy and paste large chunks of text?

I'm assuming that if they used Turnitin, they would surely first have checked referencing etc before sending the letter?

yes i did use reference properly but most of the data i had to to research from the internet according to my topic.

Could you please advice me what explanation should i give them, i need to reply them by 5 days.

Thanks

Alison
Reply 8
yes i did use reference properly but most of the data i had to to research from the internet according to my topic.

Could you please advice me what explanation should i give them, i need to reply them by 5 days.

Thanks

Alison

I find their approach bizarre, to be honest. (My personal opinion would be that if you referenced everything properly and did not have large swathes copied, there is no case. If you referenced but have large chunks cut and pasted it is poor academic practice. If large chunks are copied and no reference - that is plagiarism.) But, it should be the academics making the call, not the student and a bunch of people on TSR. In any case, I don't think anyone here is in a proper position to give you advice without being able to compare your dissertation to the source material.
Reply 9
Your posts are very unclear; what exactly did you copy from the internet? Did you just take a data set (i.e. sets of numbers), or did you copy+paste their description of the data, or their analysis, or what?

(I would advise against self-incrimination for what its worth, in case someone at your university finds this thread).
(edited 12 years ago)
You need to go to your Student's Union and ask for help representing yourself in this matter. They usually provide advocacy and support to students undergoing these sorts of disciplinaries.
If you used a lot of data and quotes from other papers, that's bound to happen. I think Turintin doesn't know if you referenced it or not, it just compares sections of text. If it's referenced you have nothing to worry about.
Reply 12
Turnitin makes no distinction between referenced and unreferenced text - it simply highlights any text that it finds in another text form somewhere. It it up to whoever checks it to manually check all the text highlighted by Turnitin to assess whether it is a legitimately referenced quote or plagiarism. However, someone should have done this before they even contacted you - after all they have the full submitted copy of your work so they can easily check whether things are referenced or not.

The fact they've contacted you does tend to suggest that they were not able to satisfy themselves that any text/data lifted from another source has been properly referenced rather than plagiarised. If you are sure that you did reference everything properly then you need to respond and say so - say you are prepared to defend the use of any material from elsewhere and show where it is properly referenced. Assuming that is the case, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

However, what is worrying is that 30% of your dissertation matched another student's. That is a very high percentage in that instance. The innocent explanation could simply be that you both used the same source data - again, if this is correctly referenced you have nothing to fear. I'm assuming you didn't collaborate with another student in doing this dissertation and that nobody would have been in a position to copy your work (or you theirs).

If they want a response then I would simply respond saying that you believe all the data / text used from outside sources was correctly referenced and say you are prepared to attend a meeting to defend this position.
Reply 13
Original post by FinanceStudent28
Woah you can't add those up.

It was 30% similar to one source and 17% similar to a second source.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that you should be honest in whatever you email them. If you didn't plagiarize then make sure they have a copy of your bibliography and like the previous poster said ask to see the material that they claim is similar. Maybe you should ask to speak to someone in person about this to get further clarification of what is going on.

Of course you can add those up; you can plagiarise from multiple sources.
Reply 14
Original post by minnieuk

However, what is worrying is that 30% of your dissertation matched another student's. That is a very high percentage in that instance. The innocent explanation could simply be that you both used the same source data - again, if this is correctly referenced you have nothing to fear. I'm assuming you didn't collaborate with another student in doing this dissertation and that nobody would have been in a position to copy your work (or you theirs).

OP did state that the dissertation in question was from 2009...
Reply 15
Original post by evantej
Of course you can add those up; you can plagiarise from multiple sources.

That doesn't account for the possibility of overlaps, though - what if the 2009 dissertation was already drawing heavily on that internet source, for example? Some of the matches with the 2009 dissertation may easily correspond to matches with the internet source, so a 30% match with one and a 17% match with the other doesn't automatically mean that 47% of the entire dissertation matches other sources. For all we know, the student who wrote that earlier dissertation may have had to go through a plagiarism hearing as well...
Reply 16
Original post by hobnob
That doesn't account for the possibility of overlaps, though - what if the 2009 dissertation was already drawing heavily on that internet source, for example? Some of the matches with the 2009 dissertation may easily correspond to matches with the internet source, so a 30% match with one and a 17% match with the other doesn't automatically mean that 47% of the entire dissertation matches other sources. For all we know, the student who wrote that earlier dissertation may have had to go through a plagiarism hearing as well...

The user suggested that I could not just simply add the numbers together. I explained how you could quite reasonably do this. Anything beyond this is speculation (i.e. discussing overlaps etc.).
Reply 17
Original post by evantej
The user suggested that I could not just simply add the numbers together. I explained how you could quite reasonably do this. Anything beyond this is speculation (i.e. discussing overlaps etc.).

Working on the assumption that there are no overlaps and you can just add up the scores is equally speculative. It's just speculation masquerading as reason.
Reply 18
Original post by hobnob
Working on the assumption that there are no overlaps and you can just add up the scores is equally speculative. It's just speculation masquerading as reason.

:confused:

If there were overlaps then the university would not have mentioned two separate sources of potential plagiarism...
Reply 19
Well...without speculating we can say that anywhere from 30% to 47% is being flagged... even 30% is nearly a third of the dissertation, that is a big chunk (4500 words if it is a 15000 word dissertation).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending